THR makes a call

ChuckLicata

Well, THR falls the way of the other racing tracks today...

Too much rain (almost 2 inches) has come down over night and this morning, so it's not a viable option to run tonight...The infield is holding water and the pits are pretty wet...Brian said it was also windy out at the track, and it's expected to be cold tonight...

He apologizes for not being to run the races tonight, and wishes everyone a good weekend...We'll crank it up again next Saturday with Marshall's Traveland Night at THR..

p.s..--if it helps any, the Busch race is on at 1 p.m. today.. :D

That is correct. THR is not racing tonight. The place is soaked after taking 1.65 inches of rain over night and with the forcast saying there is a 70% chance of more rain this afternoon.

Nick Holt

Quote from Nick in another post discussing the difficulty of making the decision:

"Promoter calls race off early and it dries up in plenty of time to race. Promoter should have known it would dry up and is an idiot, hates racing, deserves a kick in the butt. Promoter looses shirt."

I certainly don't agree with the second sentence, but I guess the other two apply today. Turned out be a beautiful afternoon, but who knew.

I think they called it a little early or a little late depending on how you look at it. If they were going to call it off because the infield and pits were too wet, I think it should have been done first thing this morning. If they were going to "wait and see" what the weather did, we'd be running practice laps right now.

Who knows, it may still rain more later tonight. Let's just hope next weekend is dry.

cs

Chase,

Let's suppose that the weatherman was right and it poured all afternoon and part of the evening but we (as you suggest we should have) decided to hold off our decision this morning. You can't imagine all the complaints I'd be handling right now from all the out of town cars that towed to the track only to have to turn around and head home.

Can't your hear the complaints now? "Why didn't you call the race earlier? The weatherman said it was going to rain. You made us tow all the way here just to pack up and go home. Any fool could tell it was going to rain all day." Etc. etc...

Of course, it turns out (unless it happens to rain later this evening) that it didn't rain after all -- the weatherman was wrong.

But I assure you it was the best decision we could have made at the time. The infiled was mud, there were pools of water in the pits, the clouds were dark and the weatherman said there was a 70% chance of severe thunderstorms all afternoon and a 50% chance of them in the evening. So, at 10:50 a.m. we decided the best thing to do was to call the races before everyone headed our way.

I know this explanation will not satisfy everyone. The fact is, though, that most decisions that a promoter has to make won't please everyone.

Nick Holt

Nick,

Actually, my suggestion was that the races should have been called earlier, not later if they were called off due to the condition of the track and pits.

On the flip side, since the decision was held off until almost 11:00, it would have been cool to see you guys go ahead and wait it out a little since the skies were beginning to clear by that time. I was playing ball with my son in my dry back yard at around 5:00 this afternoon, and I live less than 5 miles from the track.

But hey, I completely understand the difficulties of making the decisision. I'm not nearly as critical as the original message may have sounded. I'm sure I would have agonized over it as well if the decision were mine.

Have a great week.

Hope to see everyone next weekend.

cs

THANK YOU THAT IT WAS CANCELLED.

I can say that now...hehehehehehe

after last weeks misshap with my motor and lack of experience on this subject thank you from the rain gods. I will now have a motor back into my car this week I hope. I cant seem to get motivated to do much when it is me myself and my to friends that each one is attached to the sides of my body. I will now have a few days to get the car back together. Oh yea after not seeing the black flag last week due to a little smoke and a very blurry window I decided to put a new window in the car and damn I can see the hood of the car. I need to take back those glasses since I dont need them no more.

1st week: broke transmission

2nd week: rain

3rd week: new transmission but broke motor

4th week: RAIN no motor and water in the transmission

5th week: DAMN NEED PRAYERS

I keep hearing people saying it was the right rear wheel locking up but I wished that was the cause but I cant find anything showing that it was locking up but my exaust is right there under the car and the motor was smoking out the exaust. Did you personaly see the right wheel locking up? If so please let me know so I can add that to the list to check out and fix.

Thanks,

Jay

Archived