Tx Pro Sedans questions

WildRacer5

Nick,

I was looking at the TPS rules and I could not find an answer to my question. In the body section it stated that you must run a car and enigine combo of the same make as long as it was a 4 cylinder produced vehicle. It also stated that some modifications would be allowed as per TPS officials - Well my firts question is - Is there a chance that someone ,maybe me, build some thing in the relm of a Ford Ranger or a Ford Courrier pickup? I know that it is the pro sedan series but CC lets the trucks run. My next question is just on an average estimate how much do the tires cost for a pro sedan.

I probally will not get the backing or have the time to build or race the PS series this year but I'm hoping that I can at least start on one before the end of the year for 04. I took a guess at the tire cost and travel expenses and the PSS seems to be the most cost effective. Anything that you can add would be greatly helpful.

The rules for the body state - CAR TYPES: TPS cars are limited to four-cylinder small sedans (of the same engine/body type) sold in U.S. in quantities of at least 5,000 units. Engines are limited to overhead valve or single camshaft. Cars will be constructed for racing in accordance with these listed rules and technical specifications. ELIGIBLE CARS: Any TPS race car conforming to the specifications set forth in this document will be eligible to compete in TPS sanctioned races. TPS Officials may invite non-specification cars, such as comparable Corpus Christi, Wichita Falls, Houston, Odessa Mini-Stocks and others (e.g. appropriate SCCA sedan classes) to participate in TPS sanctioned events. Invited cars will be subject to special regulations designed to assure even competition with TPS specification cars. These special regulations will usually be published or stated to entrant(s) prior to the TPS event. Special regulations for invited cars will be evaluated frequently to assure even competition. TPS reserves the option to temporarily authorize certain Research and Development cars to compete with components not meeting current TPS specifications.

The rules only say cars but call Neil and talk with him about it. I believe that the tires are around $95 each. I don't have a cost per race amount because this is my first season with them. I do know that the entry fee is $50.

WildRacer5,

At this point the Texas Pro Sedan rules require sedan bodies.

That being said, obviously there are a lot of 4-cylinder trucks on the road these days. I own one as does TPS founder and Race Director, Neil Upchurch. During the off-season Neil and I agreed on some fairly significant rules changes that deal with allowing more within-make body-engine configurations, but we stopped short of permitting truck bodies in 2003.

At some point the issue of allowing truck bodies in the series will come up again because it seems so logical that 4-cylinder trucks could be smoothly intergrated into the current TPS series rules.

Thinking a bit outside the box, what would stop the formation of a seperate TPS 4-cylinder truck class if there were enough interest out there? Of course, this is simply pure speculation on my part and I'm pretty sure Neil will shoot me for even bringing it up... LOL.

Here's an idea for you. Why not build a TPS sedan from a manufacturer that also makes 4-cylinder trucks in its product line? That way if the TPS body rules ever did change, you could pull off the sedan body and put on the corresponding truck body. Just a thought.

Regarding tire costs, I believe both TPS Hoosier tire dealers charge about $95 a tire. Although I don't know for sure, I believe this is a bit less than most other racing slicks. One good thing about the TPS cars is that they are lighter than their larger V-8 cousins and, as a result, the tire wear is considerably less. Some of the teams get by with purchacing very few tires during the season.

By the way, you're not the only one planning on building a TPS car in the near future. The TPS series has become more and more competitive (fun) over the years, but Neil has done a good job of keeping the expenses from getting out of hand at the same time. Sure, racing in any form is expensive, but we feel our rules allow a great combination of engine and suspension modifications to maximize your "bang for the buck."

Let me know if I can be of assistance as you put your car together.

Nick Holt

Thanks for help guys. At First I wasn't sure what would be easier? Build a pre fab frame with a truck body or buying a mustang or pinto and convert it over. Now having more clarification on the rules I guess I have no chioce but to try to do the latter. I hope that the truck idea takes off. Although It might be cool to drive down the interstate with with a flamed out really flashy Pinto or even an Gremlin pulled behind the truck. The other series that I thought about was Dwarf cars. I live in Central TX but the travel cost for the dwarfs seemed a little to much. One week CC Dirt, Next week Waco, then Killeen. With the price of fuel that was just way to much. The big plus with Pro Sedans is that I can race every where including Houston. Nick are there any plans to get more Houston for the 04 season?

Correction: I find out the actual price of the TPS Hoosier slick is $99 this season, not $95. In return for the slight increase in price over last season, Hoosier is providing more purse and trophy money this season under a new sponsorship agreement.

Nick Holt

Archived