Latest TSRS Information

This is from an Email from Mary Ann Naumann, 4/20/04

+++++++++++++++++++++

There are a few kings left @ Holiday Inn Houston North, Houston, Texas Zip: 77090

Phone: 2818212570 www.holiday-inn.com/hounorthi-45.com. Ask for Helen.

At our recent Officials/Staff meeting, we are implementing a few changes starting with this race this weekend, hopefully to give the fans & racers more green flag racing!

1 - All races (excluding SAS "OktoberFast") will be run with all green flag laps, along with a time limit (always subject to change) depending on track & circumstances. Meaning, we will not count yellows, although if it is a yellow condition and we go 5 yellow flag laps, we will attempt to go red. This weekends race is 75 green flag laps.

2 - Yellow Flags, we will work to reduce the # of "Get Ready To Race" laps before the green is re-thrown. Once the tower (Stacy) says the line up is good, then we show you one lap, as quickly as possible!

3 - At time of yellow, scoring stops! (scorers go back to the last completed, green lap for positions) Everyone will be working together to get cars back into their correct positions. During this time, the information is being gathered and discussed as to who was at fault for the yellow being thrown, once the call has been made, the driver found at fault will then be instructed to go behind the last car. Spotters & drivers must realize that we go back to the last lap completed by ALL cars! The key is all cars. The tower (Stacy) will give the car # & stat what car to go behind, it is the spotters responsibility to inform your driver which car to go behind.

4 - This is not a debate time, the decision has been made, so drivers will need to go where you are instructed by TSRS Director of Spotting. One warning from Director Of Spotting - H or his staff, then one warning from the tower (Stacy) then scoring is stopped!

5 - All TSRS Spotter Officials on & off track will be writing down the lineup before the race begins and/or when we go yellow/red. As soon as the tower (Stacy) has last completed lap lineup, it will be called out, five cars numbers at a time. (It is recommended that the Driver's Spotter do the same, @ least for the couple of cars in front of you, then if the car in front of you is moved to the rear, then they should know who you are behind). All cars will be in their correct alignment or realignment before we go green! Point is, we go back to racing as quickly as possible!

6 - We are adding a few more manual scorers along with the transponder system, this to help if we should run into the same situation as we had a CCMS, where five transponders were not registering. REMINDER, charge your transponder 1 day prior to practice or racing, all cars must have transponders on while entering the track from 5:00 PM on Friday & all day on Saturday.

7 - Remember, if you are coming on Friday for "Testing & Tuning", park your tow vehicles in the infield. You can leave them there overnight & you may also stay with your tow vehicle overnight!

We will discuss all of the above information @ the Drivers/Spotter's meeting on Saturday.

See you on Saturday!

Mary Ann

512-844-3582

Well it is good to see some changes actually happen when drivers suggest things here on TSZ. This help TRS series out but can we get others to listen when there drivers at there tracks have suggestions. The only thing we keep hearing is (We are listening and taking suggestions) well that is getting old and if maryann can listen to her group and fans why cant we all.

Jay

sorry late and having hell getting motor pulled.

Jay,

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, but I assume you are referring to THR management since you run at THR.

I have to disagree with your premise. THR changed its pre-season practice dates as a direct result of TSZ reader input. They changed the length of the LM features as a direct result of TSZ reader input. Likewise the SS feature length. They change the Best Appearing Car procedure as a direct result of TSZ reader input. They re-did the entire back straight and added 4-5 feet of apron to the track as a direct result of input from TSZ readers and others. THR has added significantly to its management staff, in part due to suggestions made right here on TSZ. While it may not have always been the case, from my perspective THR is now one of the most responsive tracks imaginable.

Is there some particular issue you feel the THR management needs to respond to? If so, I am ALWAYS willing to listen. Of course, not every suggestion is acted upon for a wide variety of reasons as you can imagine.

Nick Holt

The only thing we keep hearing is (We are listening and taking suggestions) well that is getting old and if maryann can listen to her group and fans why cant we all.

Jay,

Following up on Nick's premise that you're talking about THR..

Your "listening and taking suggestions" but not responding insinuation is absolute bull crap...allow me to explain..

And allow me to say this first...you keep firing off these barbs on the internet..yet, when I see you at the track in person, you never mention ANY of these complaints..what's up with that? Have I NOT made it clear that I - as well as Nick and others - are happy to get feedback, both positive and negative, in person???

Now, since last off-season, things that THR has ENACTED (not talked about, but enacted):

1) Hired Nick as Race Director..and we all know the improvements Nick has made in his area

2) Brought on new track officials..Nick and his crew have done an AWESOME job on the 2 nights we've raced..that, of course, is my opinion..

3) Brought me on as Marketing Director/Announcer..I will let someone else express their opinion as to whether this is a positive or negative..

4) Done some radio advertising..We're on both KVET-AM and Z-102, for now..we're also looking into other avenues of advertising to expand our reach...

5) Established a Drivers' Communication Committee..these great people make phone calls to make drivers aware of any changes at the track or in the track schedule

6) Established Drivers' Appearances...we have 2 this week, Friday at 11:30 a.m. at Dahlstrom Middle School (Hays ISD) and Saturday at SouthPoint Suzuki, on the Motor Mile in South Austin

7) Worked hard to not only keep the old sponsors but bring in new sponsors..among other things - in case you missed at Saturday's drivers' meeting - we had an annonymous sponsor donate $150 to the drivers' points fund..oh, did I mention that we sold some THR merchandise on Saturday, and part of THAT money goes to the drivers' points fund as well?

8) EVERYTHING that Nick said above...

9) Other programs that aren't mentioned here..

Just as we tell everyone else, Jay..if you have something to say or complain about, why not do it IN PERSON instead of on the internet? We're open to suggestions anytime, anywhere...but it's much better to do it in person first---you owe us that much respect, don't you think?

I know this is not what this post was intended for by I definitely want to comment on this subject. I think it is great that we have this kind of forum to discuss issues and make comments about racing, especially those which concern Thunderhill. It is great to be able to throw out your ideas, give your opinions and make suggestions about our local racing. What really bothers me are the people that do nothing but gripe, criticize and complain without making any attempt to solve a problem, offer a positive suggestion or get involved and do something about it. This is not directed at you Jay, I'm talking about everyone.

When I hung up my crew chief duties last year, I wanted to stay involved with racing and I wanted to help make Thunderhill Raceway the best track it could be, so I volunteered to help. Brian and Jim have brought in a crew that could make a very big impact on THR and they are doing some great things. We had a volunteer day at the track and many people came out to help. Nick Holt was brought in as Race Director and is making a postive impact. Chuck Licata is back as Announcer and Marketing Director. He brings a lot of energy to the fans at the races and is working his butt off behind the scenes to put THR on the map. The rest of the crew is doing a great job to put on these races every Saturday night. I never knew how many people and how much work and coordination goes on to make the races happen.

There are many people at the track that would be glad to hear any suggestions that will make a positive impact on THR. The best thing you can do is quit griping, roll up your sleeves and do something about it. The constant complaining is falling on deaf ears. Let's have some constructive discussions, evaluate the issues and do something positive for a change. I wouldn't be out there if I didn't think I could have a positive impact on THR and it's not going to happen unless people help out. It's not going to change overnight but we are taking one step at a time and good things are happening. If you have something negative to say; fine. If you want to make a change, help come up with the solution.

Greg

Archived