Wet sump Vs. Dry sump on sbc USST truck

Mark Pinson

What is everyone's opinion on the advantages of a dry sump system. I have a chance to buy a quality sytsem cheap. Will I see a big HP advantage or is it more headache. I run a 9.5 to 1 sbc turning 6500 rpms. We usaully run on 1/4 tracks with the occasional 1 mile track. I ran a wet sump last year and had zero problems with the oiling system.

There are two significant advantages in the handling department when running a well-designed dry sump system.

1. The pan is no longer an issue when running the chassis low to the ground. The lower the center of gravity height, the faster the vehicle can get through the turns. A related advantage is that the bottom of the chassis can now be more aero which prevents some of the turbulance (drag) under the chassis.

2. It's easier to get a better weight distribution since the tank can be placed where you need it.

Nick

There is a horsepower gain due to the effects of the external pump but the # will vary on differant engines. However...the down side in my experiance, is with all the extra fittings and connections, there is a much greater chance for leaks.

Hope it helps

dry sump can work like a vac pump if you know how to use it and get extra hp.

If you run at least a 4 stage pump. A 3 stage only evacuates the lifter valley, and oil pan and doesn't pull much extra vacuum. You'd be better off with a good quality wet sump pan and a belt driven vacuum pump. 4 or 5 stage pumps will pull a considerable amount of vacuum. In fact, you should run a vacuum regulator if you run a 4 or 5 stage pump.

Another advantage is a lot less oil in the pan which cuts down on windage which = more hp. Also most tanks have more capacity than a wet sump pan so oil stays cooler. Most pumps have an external adjustable pressure regulator as well.

Downside is ALOT more plumbing, more oil means more $$ and one more belt to worry about (if that one jumps off it will cost you)

If you are sure the pump is good (re-builds can sometimes cost as much as a new one) you know the oil pan WILL FIT your chassis, you have a good place to mount the oil tank, you have the $$ for pulleys and to plumb the system or if both come with it that they are in good shape (you will still have to buy fittings cause the chassis that it came off will be different than yours). If all that is ok then you can’t beat a dry-sump.

This setup came off of a USST truck that went to a crate engine. It comes complete. I was worried about the theory "if it's not broken don't fix it theory". I'm guessing if there's more oil, meaning less break down and lower temps I will be able to go longer without changing the oil. Last year I changed the oil after every race "50-75 lap races". Has anyone dynoed engines with and without dry sumps. I'm only turning 6500 rpms, is a dry sump over doing it.

There is a horsepower gain due to the effects of the external pump but the # will vary on differant engines. However...the down side in my experiance, is with all the extra fittings and connections, there is a much greater chance for leaks.

Hope it helps

hey cory that is y you have a check list to check everything and fittings before you get to the track haha sorry i had to. but if you loose any oil you know where you can get it.lol

Dry sump is the only way to go on race engines.more power,more oil control.a wet sump system is like a big egg beter which will aireate the oil which means more displacement of the oil, the more air that you beat in the oil the less oil on a surface not only on bearing surfaces but also on areas that the oil is transferring heat from.A good dry sump tank will have plates on the inside which helps take the air out of the oil.This is a very basic view of why a dry sump is better.if you would like a more indepth for running a dry sump PM and i will explain

Unless you are running 300 lap races and running 7500 plus rpms and most of your competitors are still running wet sumps it is a great waste of money. dry sumps are great if you are pulling tons of g.ss. You do realize the crate engines are running close to the same rpms and are alot lighter and on 10 inch tires and they live with a wet sump.

Archived