New Texas State Coach THR Grand Marshal

New Texas State Coach Tackles Thunder Hill Grand Marshal Duty

Kyle -- David Bailiff, hired by Texas State University two months ago to turn around the disheveled Bobcats’ football program, tackles another challenge this weekend: acting as Grand Marshal at Thunder Hill Raceway on Saturday night, April 10.

“I’m very excited about this opportunity,” Bailiff said late last week. “I’m honored that the race track thought enough of me to make me their Grand Marshal for a night. I’m a race fan as well and look forward to seeing the (local) racers compete at the track.”

Hired by Texas State University on February 5, 2004, to take over for former coach Manny Matsakis, Bailiff comes to Texas State after a two-year stint as the defensive coordinator at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth and has a justified reputation as one of the best high school football recruiters in the state of Texas.

“This is a win-win situation for the track and for Coach Bailiff,” said Thunder Hill marketing director/announcer Chuck Licata. “He’s a class act who’s coming home to coach at his alma mater (Bailiff played tight end for Texas State from 1977-80). I’ve talked to Coach Bailiff a couple of times and I feel he’ll be a great asset to Texas State University. We’re happy to have him be our Grand Marshal and we look forward to giving him an opportunity to meet some of the local residents who patronize our race track.

“After talking to several Texas State supporters and sources, I truly believe that the football program is in good hands with Bailiff,” Licata added. “Texas State University has a proud athletics tradition, and we at Thunder Hill Raceway join the Texas State community in its support of Coach Bailiff and the tasks that lie ahead for him.”

Archived