Big Shot 250?

HoosierDaddy

Last I heard is they lost way to much money over the last two years to try it again.

After two major financial losses (reportedly over $25,000 each) one has to wonder if the backers of this event will be coming back for a third try.

Many observers feel that the major reason for the red ink was that both Big Shot events were poorly attended. Naturally, those of us in the racing community supported both events, but in order to make a financial go of such an event the general public has to be informed and buy tickets. If Thunder Hill Raceway were filled to capacity, the event might have made a modest profit.

However, the sort of extensive promotion needed to fill the grandstands costs money - lots of money. It's a Catch-22. If you spend your projected profits on promotion, you loose. If you don't spend lots of money on promotion, you loose. But that being said, if you spend just enough on promotion to fill the stands and perhaps cut the purse a bit (not much, just a bit) Big Shot III could turn out to be a financial success.

Let's hope that Big Shot III is being carefully planned and will be announced soon.

Nick Holt

How much does ROMCO spend on advertising/promoting a race here at San Antonio Speedway? The stands get close to capacity all the time. I think fans will pay to see a race like that here. Of course we need some modifications on pit road. I think Houston can also pack the stands. Let's just hope we can keep the purse high enough to bring out of towners so it can live up to it's name.

I think that having the race at Houston would be a great idea. It is a more racer friendly track than THR and the facilities make it one of the best in the country. However Do you think that any more of the "big name" Drivers would show up even if it were moved to Houston. I'm not sure that 200 miles more to the east could help in the car count. I don't think that Baker wants to put up that kind of money. I think that if the ASA show were to go over big, which it should, could go along way to getting a Bigshot type race at HMS. Next year I wouldn't be surprised to see an all-pro race at HMS. If somebody had deep enough pockets they could rent out HMS like ASA has, but who has an extra 20 grand laying arround that they would want to pony up just get the track? I think that big shot is probally going to die after just two years. I would like to see a progression of race at HMS. Maybe start out at 10k to win, next year 12K and so on. With the size of Houston and it's market you might could get a big time sponsor but not the way that the economy is right now. We will just half to see. I never try to get surprised by what happens in racing

Houston would be a good venue for the Bigshot, but I don't think it would go over any better there than Kyle.

I'm not trying to sound negative, but Houston hasn't come close to filling the stands last two ROMCO races.

Maybe half-capacity at best, and the stands aren't that big.

San Antonio is probably the best bet, but you gotta put on a good enough show to convince people to give up a weekend of high-school football to come see a late season high admission race. Heck, by November, I can hardly stand to go to a racetrack myself.

San Antonio, would be the best bet for a race of that kind. Because the stands are usually full and you can run two wide there for several laps. The only problem is that the out of towners who spend $50,000 on motors would probably win. Houston is not big enough for the race (follow the leader) just like the first race of the season this year. If kyle would configure the track a little it would make for better racing. If they would lower the asphalt comming out of turn two, right at the bottom and maybe extend the concrete patch on the back straight it would help alot, and make for some better racing. If improvments are made to the track, it would better for its local classes and the traveling series, and maybe bring some cars back form out of town. But as far as i know they lost to much from the race and have said they will not put on the race again, but things could change. Even if the BIG Shot is not put on again I would still like to see the changes at kyle!! Houston has talked about putting on the biggest paying race in the nat. but who knows.

Nothing to do with the Big shot, but what about TEXAS WORLD SPEEDWAY. It would be nice to have a race there, all the old guys (David Umscheid, Keith Riethmeyer, Greg Davidson etc...)talk about how much fun it was. Lets have another race there, and add that track to the Romco Schedule!!!

:) BAR2248 if you went to the Big Shot this last year I think you find that several teams had at 30K in their engines,awfully light weight parts,and the field oof 30 cars,sounded unlike any ROMCO race at the start,and the Romco cars are not any slouches either. Like it has been said before it needed to be advertised. I hope ASA has good look in Houston,but the big NHRA meet is in town the same weekend.

I agree with the advertisment. And I know that alot of the Romco cars have 30k in their motors. But if you would watch, the 2 car (forgot his name) would pull the cars down the straight, but couldn't get through the corners. And if the 28 car was not running tc maybe he would of been slower, but it's over now. I am just saying that the motor difference would really show up in San Antonio due to the long straights. I guess you were at the race??? Who were you goin for?

You guys that think the out of town cars are faster because of power are looking for an excuse. The differance is in the chassis setup. We don't like to admit that because it is a reflection on our own ability.

LOL, for one I am a little worried about power because I know that I am about 60 horse power short of Mark (39) cars power, and Set up is no problem here, YET, And i hope it stays that way. For my first romco race (Texas Big Shot) I qualified 16 just a couple hundreths off of tenth place, and if I would not have over driven turn one on my second lap maybe i would of qualified top ten. Or if i would of had a good carburator on the car, that makes around 25 more horse power for qualifing that might have helped too. But who knows. And I know for a fact that the 2 car had and still does have alot more power than me and for that fact MARK because I got pulled a car and a half down the front straight and he was on the outside. (In practice)

:D You tell em Bradley! I hope there is a Big Shot race somewhere in Texas this year. I think you can drive the hell out of a car. Hope to get to help out at Kyle in two weeks. God knows I need to learn more about setups. Good luck this year and I'll be talking to ya'll soon.

Thanks, but we don't have the money or else we would of already did it!! We run from a race to race bassis. If we crash we are out, if we finsih good we run next week. And anybody who would like to support the #49 Romco car is more than welcome too, financially or jusr rooten me on. :D

Hey bandit, i guess by now you know this is bradley riethmeyer, and i know that motor is not everything, its a combination of driver, setup, motor, luck, experience, etc... but i do remember when you got more power under the hood, and i confronted you at SA to tell you nice job in the tech area,after qual and you said "Thanks, we found some more power over the break and it really seemed to help us out." and it didn't just help you out, it helps out everyone and i'm not sayin that the guys who build motors around here aren't good, my car is just short some power cause we don't have the money, and that every little bit helps especially when the field is so close on times and when the out of towners come in.

Your right about us having a little more power last year Bradley. The motor that I won the 150 lap ROMCO show with last year has 30hp less than the motor that I ran at October fast. I led the first 8 laps there until the LR shock broke. Our Octoberfast motor came off the same dyno in Florida that Jason Hogans Big Shot motor came off of just days apart. There was 3 hp differance. As you probably know we do our own motors completely in house accept for some machine work on the block and the Dyno runs. Dyno runs are only done about once or twice a year to try new stuff and we do it in Florida cus it's cheap (friend). I can give you info on those motor combinations if you would like, or to anyone for that matter as long as your not a 'profesional' engine builder and you do the work yourself. The speed is in the shocks and the little details. Wait until April 5.

I just had one question about less horsepower. Does the fact that the motor has less HP help you at track like THR and CC? I know that you need big power to run at SAS becuae of the straits. Will you have less tire spin like Dw and them talked about at Bristol or does the shock package matter more than less HP so your tires will get grip out of the corners? At the big modified race at THR the dirt guys would lose ground in the corners but they would just blow the windows off down the straits. I hope my question make since?!?! :blink:

:) BAR2248 you had a pretty good car in the big shot race,you're right the #2 car had a lot of motor in his car,judging by the way he was coming from the back after bumping the 39 car if I remember right. There are a lot of good people in Austiin that have done a lot with a lessor motor or car out at San Antonio over the years. I think you will do good.

Wildracer5, To answer your question about going faster with less power on tracks like THR and CC, if you have to feather the throttle off the corner how can you use more power? All you can do is maximize the bite off the corner to use as much of the available power as you can. This is why traction control does not change the importance of the setup. TC does not give you more bite off, it helps the driver control the motor. Many drivers think that less power will help them control wheel spin at shorter tracks. That is partially true. What really helps control the power (besides TC) is the use of drive train components with a heavier moment of inertia (more rotating mass at the outer diameter). An example would be a heavier fly-wheel. This makes the motor spin up slower therfore it brings the power to the tires a little slower. At SAS you want the lightest components that will live to get the opposite effect.

Yes, less hp helps at cc. We are thinking about takeing the good carb off and putting a regular 390 on there so we don't get the tires to spin. As for kyle, setup is a big thing, and the line you run. We leave the big carb on for the race in kyle. Every little thing you do to these cars make a big difference. We hooked up the roller on the car to help the car from getting loose on exit at houston. I ran a little slower but i was more consistant, becasue the tires were not spinning as much. Feathering the throttle helps to but then you aren't useing all the power, so if you get heavier drive train parts you can use more power off the corners. Hope that helps WILdracer (maybe). Thanks Bandit, and i will probably tlak to you at the kyle race. And just to let everyone know i am not blamming the power of the car on me not winning or for that matter finishing in the top 5. We have enough to win it's all about experience for me right now. Just staying out of trouble in the romco series and you will finish in the top 10. Thanks for the support 97car.

Archived