Track Length

J-III

NASCAR measure so many feet from the outside wall.. I think it's 15 feet, but don't quote me on the number of feet from the wall. I know they are having to re-measure all those tracks that have installed the saftey barriers.

Nick Holt

Nick and J-III:

A number of years ago, the TIDA Late Model and Pro Sedan Series were holding a track rental race at Corpus Christi Speedway. I noticed the Melton Brothers had a footage measuring wheel. They owned the # 11 Camaro driven by Larry Schild of Houston,

I asked them, to measure CC Speedway. They asked, "do you want us to measure the pole or wall"?

I asked them to measure the racing line.

At CC Speedway then and I believe still today at C.C. Motor Speedway, even though the tracks name and surface has changed, the same lap distance exists.

For you racers who are trying to figure out correct gearing, the "Fastest 1/4 mile track in Texas" is:

1,420 FEET - THAT'S ONE QUARTER MILE PLUS 100 FEET. Hope this "groove" specification helps you.

Neil Upchurch

Then - President, TIDA

Now - Race Director, Texas Pro Sedans

Neil,

TIDA may have used the "line" to measure the track length, but a NASCAR Nextel Cup journalist who frequents TSZ informs me that NASCAR does indeed measure track length at a point 15-feet in from the outside wall.

Nick Holt

Archived