stud girdles

stockracer

I had a set of heads worked, had screw in rocker arm studs installed. When i tried to put the stud girdles on, one of the heads seemed to be drilled crooked. I pulled each of the studs on #1 cylinder in toward each other about 1/4 of an inch to get them in the slots on the girdle. Can anyone tell me if this is too much, is it going to break the casting in the head or the rocker arm stud? Any help is much appreciated.

You could have a stud failure real easy because you are bending it to where it should be. You should also double check your stud girdle to make sure its true and level. Be careful how you adjust your valves. If you are loosening your stud girdle to adjust your valves and then the studs are bending when the girdles are being reapplied then you are changing your valve lash. I have also learned this as well it turned out to be our stud girdles. Even though the GM bolt holes werent perfect the girdles were causing them to bend too much.

I had a set of heads worked, had screw in rocker arm studs installed. When i tried to put the stud girdles on, one of the heads seemed to be drilled crooked. I pulled each of the studs on #1 cylinder in toward each other about 1/4 of an inch to get them in the slots on the girdle. Can anyone tell me if this is too much, is it going to break the casting in the head or the rocker arm stud? Any help is much appreciated.

Check also the rocker studs them selves. Some cheaper brands will have lots of runout. Loosen them and see if they are true when screwing them in or out. Also make sure the chamfer in the head matches the stud.

I tried the stud girdle on the other head, fit just fine. I took hte studs out of the cylinder in questoin and removed the guide plate, put the studs back in hand tight, everything lined up fine. I found some stuff that looked like clear RTV, but thicker and harder, under the guide plate that was causing it to sit at an angle on the head. I cleaned this off, reassembled with loktite, everthing is good now.

I tried the stud girdle on the other head, fit just fine. I took hte studs out of the cylinder in questoin and removed the guide plate, put the studs back in hand tight, everything lined up fine. I found some stuff that looked like clear RTV, but thicker and harder, under the guide plate that was causing it to sit at an angle on the head. I cleaned this off, reassembled with loktite, everthing is good now.

Good information to know, thanks for sharing!

Archived