ghost of hillsboro speedway

oldfigure8er

This pic was taken by a friend of mine, this old mod is sitting in the actual infield of the old hillsboro speedway! about the only remnants of the place is the frame work for the grandstands is still standing as well as the announcers booth which is now used as a deer stand.post-11085-1255187796.jpg

Yes Jr, those were the good old days. It was a shame that track didn't make it. Their first year or year and a half the track still needed some maintenance. I remember some drivers complaining that there were tree stumps that would surface from time to time. Then the track really got in great racing condition. Boy those big block with Drag tires were unreal fast there. Classic Bill White and Gordon Woolley duels.

King Crawdad

Hillsboro was similar to Bellmead Speedway, if you have ever been there. It was a big 1/4 with very wide and steep banking. You could really air it out, if you could keep the engine under you.

oldfigure8er, thanks for the program. Do you have any other material from the old track? That's the late Cecil Carter with the Stock Class #50 if I am not mistaken. Does it have a date? Here is Cecil @ HOT 1975, he Finished 2nd in the Stock Class points that year at HOT. Then was tragically killed when his crop duster crashed.

post-3842-1255578621.jpg

• 5 months later...
here is a pic of Bubba Webb and his crew at the not so famed Hillsboro Speedway 1975. (The Crawdad Hole)

That's Bubba with his son on his right and his nephew Mike Webb on his left. Mike is Bill Webb's son. Bill and Bubba are deceased. Mike has been the Race Steward at H-O-T Speedway for several years now. His dad Bill was the flagman at H-O-T during the 70's. The Flagstang used to hang over the track on a catwalk. Once a car flipped up and knocked Bill to the track. If I remember the story correct (I wasn't there that time), Bill suffered broken ribs among other things. After that the flagstand was moved the the fence, no more overhang. I don't think Bill flagged after that. That's been a long time ago, so my memory may not be accurate. I was somewhat confused when I first saw this picture. I would have swore Bubba drove a solid orange car.

• 4 years later...

Archived