Heart O' Texas Trivia

texastracker

In the early to mid 70's, HOT ran 3 classes. Modified, Stock and Hobby. Who was 1st to use power steering? What class? What year?

Oh well, I thought that might be a little much due to the fact that not a lot oof cntral Texas folks are on this sight. It was Johnny Garrett Stock Class #18. But what year?

post-3842-1255519739.jpg

i`ll take a shot at it. i`ll say 1974? after seeing the picture, the car in the back ground packing the track is me. i am thinking that car was the sec. chevy we put together. larry walts was still driving for ous at the time. we tryed power steering some yrs later when i was driving but got it to quick. my brouhter tryed it too in a heat race an said the same. loaded car up, took it home an put the rear end steering back in it.

i may be off a yr or so but in that time frame. johnny is a cousin to ous but have not seen him in yrs.

later, junior garrett

Close but no cigar! It was 1973! Johnny stayed with it until he figure it out, at least most of the time. I saw him at Papa Tom's funeral and asked him to confirm this little tidbit that I had posted in one of my scrap books. Although I knew the year and other info was correct, it was one of those that people would read it and say no way! No one had power steering in 73'! Johnny's remarks were "they all though I was crazy". This was Johnny's ride for 74' hte G & T special for Bob and Shella Tidwell.

post-3842-1255534261.jpg

Archived