THR practice is on...

NickHolt

THR practice went well, but I figured more cars would show. We were there along with 6 other street stocks, 2 modifieds, 1 dwarf car, 3 hobby stocks, 1 TSRS car, 1 pro sedan, and a couple of trucks.

I'm just pleased as can be that we got to run at all with the way the morning began.

It looks like the THR street stocks will be very competitive again this year.

Hope all goes well in Houston.

Chase

I'm glad practice went so well. I went up to the track to watch and they told me that it was $15.00 to get in. Man what happened to the days with Practice was free to watch. I saw John Kelly on 35 in San Marcos. I guess that he was testing for the race on the 5th. I'm surprised that he didn't go to Houston.

That's right, I forgot to mention Kelly. I didn't get any times on him, but he did go out a few times.

You mean they were charging people to watch practice? That's a new one. I guess times are tough.

The prices to practice have gone up also.

Chase

The responce at the window was that it was $15.00 per crewman. I was like I'm just going to watch. Well your either a crew or a driver. Times might be hard, but that is what I expect everytime that I go to THR. I try not to let anything surprise me when I go out there.

Chase You run pretty could in SS- I've got two questions for you. 1st, I only saw your Camero out there today well at least from the pit gate. I heard that you bought the Marc Curry championship car. Is that true? ;) Did Mike at Autopro cut you a good deal on your paint job? :lol: Not every day that somebody asks you that one. :P Sorry back on track. 2nd, I've been hearing rumors that If no body shows up for THR LM that they were just going to drop it and make Street stock the top class. What have you heard?

WildRacer5,

We didn't buy any cars this winter. We did sell one, however (the #9 Nova.) Curry still has his car, and he was at practice today.

Mike at AutoPro donated the paint and materials for our car. He was going to paint it also but lost a painter right in the middle of the job. My Dad is a good painter and did the job.

About the late models - I heard a while back that THR was going to make Street Stocks the feature class, but I think that was before the schedule was finalized with the TSRS series. As it turns out, the THR late models are running around 3 weeks per month at THR, and these are only nights when the TSRS is not running. I'm not sure what the late model turnout will be, but I don't think the Street Stock cars should be considered the feature class unless they were to be paid like the feature class.

By the way, I don't drive the 99 car. I crew chief the car, and my brother, Cary, drives it. My Dad owns the car - it's a good family hobby.

Thanks for the comments,

Chase

There where 21 cars at the THR practice yesterday.

Yes, it was a mixture.

If you want to go into the pits, yes it will cost you $15.00. Drivers with their car is $20.00. Drivers without their car is $15.00.

Grandstand you could go into for FREE.

If you go to THR web site you will see an updated schedule. The only time the Late Models are off at THR is if TSRS is running there that night or if they are in San Antonio. I believe that is a total of 4 dates. Just check out the schedule to be sure.

For those of you who don't know me, I work at THR. I am the Head Scorer. And this year, I will also be working the pit window on race days and at practice.

So, don't be talking bad about me. LOL :D

Kathy

I've been racing in San Antonio for about 20yrs and there has never been a time that I went through a pit gate at any track for free . The track has to protect itself if you went into the pits and were injured how would you get your injurys treated? you may not but there would be someone that would sue over as little as a couple of stiches. So dont blame the track for taking your money they are protecting themselfs and you to.

I'm not trying to talk bad about anybody! Let me make that clear. Now on occasion I do dislike THR because of the way that they handle things. It is nice to know that everyone tells me now that the grandstands are free. When I went to the pit window I didn't expect to get into the pits for free. I'm not that stupid! But to have people tell me that the grandstands are free and when I went to the pit gate and stated that I was with no team and only wanted to watch and time some cars. Maybe I should have been more clear. Maybe I should have asked "Is there any other way to get inside the grounds and watch cars go arround in a circle without paying since it is only practice." I understand that it does cost to operate a track. I have been arround racing for a while and I am a business major. One would think that the track would tell you that if you want to watch the practice you can go to the grandstands and watch for free. You can't get in to the grandstands from the pit gate. That is the only point that I am trying to make. I don't want to step on any toes and I don't need the economics lesson on how a track operates.

Well, let me say this.

When the first person asked me if the stands were open and free I got on my cell phone and called Brian and asked.

From that point on, if anyone didn't want to pay $15.00 to go into the pits, I informed them of the above.

I then went out of the office and pointed them in the right direction through the pits to get to the grand stand.

Anytime you you want or need to get information and I am in the pit window, please just ask. If I don't know the answer, I WILL FIND OUT THE ANSWER OR POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO FIND OUT THE ANSWER.

Just don't be afraid to ask. Asking questions is FREE. LOL And so are the answers.

Kathy

WildRacer5,

Kathy is one of the most cooperative, knowledgeable, fan-friendly officials in the sport. She goes out of her way to help out racers, series officials and fans and contributes behind the scenes at THR more than you can imagine.

If you had asked simply asked her about admission to the grandstands she would have bent over backwards to get you there without you having to spend a penny.

It is good that you understand the economics of running a race track. However, I'm sure that the people who responded to your seeming displeasure at having to pay for a pit pass were simply trying to be helpful by providing information they assumed you did not posses.

Nick Holt

Guest LaFont Racing #3

Chase, I just want to let you know the car looks sharp! I didnt get to watch you guys practice any but how does it seem to be running? Were you guys able to practice with any of the other street stocks? The tracked seemed pretty fast from our view points, i noticed some cars turning in the mid 16's.

-Clint

Hello Clint,

Thanks for the compliment on the car. We worked all winter on it after last year's crash, and we weren't sure what to expect on Saturday. As it turns out, the car was good, so we were happy with it. The track felt good to us. The car was a tick loose at first, but it was easy to adjust out.

Your car looked fast also, as did Curry. It should be a good season.

Good luck to you guys this year,

Chase

Guest LaFont Racing #3

Cummins,

I haven't made a decision yet as to if I will drive the 3 car this year or not. We plan on "checking" things out first.

Thanks, Clint

Archived