tires for red river

The MG Tire deal fell through. The distributor blew us off.

I made contact with the Bridgestone distrubitor and he suggested going to the Maximus Tire.

The advantages are longer life, compaired to the MG's and about 25% less expensive.

Mike is going to test a set at the next Thunder Hill race. If they work as discribed, we may add them to the approved tire list and possibly make them the spec tire for next year.

In the meantime, everyone is on their own as far as tires are concerned.

Smitty

Do ya'll think sacrificing grip is worth the cost savings? I know that the MG yellow is the best handling tire in the business, thats why they charge such a premium. I think it might be a spot that some drivers get "out bucked" if you leave the door too wide open. I'd pay the extra $35.00 to get superior grip over my competitors.

Just my .02

Do ya'll think sacrificing grip is worth the cost savings? I know that the MG yellow is the best handling tire in the business, thats why they charge such a premium. I think it might be a spot that some drivers get "out bucked" if you leave the door too wide open. I'd pay the extra $35.00 to get superior grip over my competitors.

Just my .02

We now allow both YHC's and MG yellows. The #88 is running on YHC's and has won the last 2 races.

The MG's may be too much grip. Lyndon Kirk, the points leader, found that a new set of MG's slowed him down the last time we went to Red River.

Steinman has had most of his new MG's blister after 1 race. Plus the importer blew us off when we inquired about buying 20 sets at a time as a series.

YHC"s and MG's cost just about the same. The Maxmis is said to be about the same grip as the YHC's and will last longer at a reduced price. This information was given to us by the YHC importer, who also is the importer of the Maximus tires. The Tag USA series uses them as a spec tire.

We are going to test the Maxmis to see how they work in competition for the balance of the season. If they do the job, we will make them the spec tire for next year. This way everyone will save money and nobody will have an advantage.

We now allow both YHC's and MG yellows. The #88 is running on YHC's and has won the last 2 races.

The MG's may be too much grip. Lyndon Kirk, the points leader, found that a new set of MG's slowed him down the last time we went to Red River.

Steinman has had most of his new MG's blister after 1 race. Plus the importer blew us off when we inquired about buying 20 sets at a time as a series.

That is certainly good info for those drivers struggling with speed through the corners. "over gripping" tires are certainly slower. Has anyone played with stagger?

MG certainly has a way with being a bully. I know many series that praise the MG name because of it superior grip and it goes straight to MG's head.

Although, I bet a set of MG orange's would be FAST. We ran the orange's at Texas World Speedway to loosen the karts up and not make them so darty. I bet with some hardcore tire test ya'll could see another 1-2mph out of the perfect tire. Of course, testing is key.

Anyone tried dunlops?

We would try as many tires as possible...but want to have good availability, durability, and lower cost for all in the series. If we could get a set of tires from each brand to test with...that would ultimately allow us to pick the best tire availbe to us cost and performance wise. But how do you get all the tire companys to donate 1 set of tires each for testing....unless you in the media and writing a article about them? HHmmm...answered my own question...but I am not in the media or a cloumnist for a karting magazine. Wonder if they would let us freelance an article with all data reported? Hmmmm

We would try as many tires as possible...but want to have good availability, durability, and lower cost for all in the series. If we could get a set of tires from each brand to test with...that would ultimately allow us to pick the best tire availbe to us cost and performance wise. But how do you get all the tire companys to donate 1 set of tires each for testing....unless you in the media and writing a article about them? HHmmm...answered my own question...but I am not in the media or a cloumnist for a karting magazine. Wonder if they would let us freelance an article with all data reported? Hmmmm

How about calling a reporter for a couple of the karting magazines and suggest they do a story on us. Might be something unqiue and different for them. We could throw the tire test in as an added bonus

When I was NASCAR Chief Steward at San Antonio Speedway, I asked the local SAE organization to assist me in conducting tire tests for the track before we went to the 'one-tire-a-week' rule. I wrote the tests up and it was published in a national, glossy stock car racing magazine. Even made the front cover!

Anyway, most racing publications are always on the lookout for a good story and your proposed tire tests fit the bill nicely.

Nick

That is certainly good info for those drivers struggling with speed through the corners. "over gripping" tires are certainly slower. Has anyone played with stagger?

MG certainly has a way with being a bully. I know many series that praise the MG name because of it superior grip and it goes straight to MG's head.

Although, I bet a set of MG orange's would be FAST. We ran the orange's at Texas World Speedway to loosen the karts up and not make them so darty. I bet with some hardcore tire test ya'll could see another 1-2mph out of the perfect tire. Of course, testing is key.

Anyone tried dunlops?

Stagger? Is that when u walk with a limp? I think we stumble home for the most part.

Archived