PENALTIES FOR THE AUGUST 8TH RACE AT THUNDERHILL

I want to remind all the NASKART drivers and anyone else that should read this post....that we as racers at Thunderhill (or any other track) should remember basic things about our opportunities to race...ANYWHERE.

1st - We race for the competition but for the most part we race to have FUN!!! We race for the enjoyment and fulfillment of succeeding at controlling a vehicle, racing as fast as we possibly can in a controlled environment, on any given track, where its safe for the most part.

2nd - When we race in any series, the people that you race with and around truly become your extended family in most cases. By earning your RESPECT as a person or by close racing on the track.

3rd - When you lose respect for a series you race in or the racing is no longer fun....You either retire, or move on to another series to race in that you do respect and will have fun in.

I took the time to watch the videos of our races. And what I have seen concerns me. Like last year, as the season wears on our driving has become more aggressive with everyone worrying about the points and what position they are in. I have seen a lot side bumping in the corners...I have seen a lot of hard bump drafting in the corners to make someone move up the track, in order to gain a position. And I have seen lots of instances where people are trying to gain a position by going onto the rumble strips and the concrete on the front straightway. We have rules about these things, but it seems as if because we have not assessed penalties during the season that it is okay to break these rules and worse, commit rough driving offenses & retaliations for rough driving during races and at the end of a race. Figuring that "If the track doesn't see it and no one protest me, I can get away with it." What that shows me is that some people are so intent to win...that they lose track of why they are racing. It shows me that they are not having fun anymore...and that they do not respect their fellow competitors.

We, racing as the NASKART Series, need to respect each other on and off the track. We need to make sure that while we are racing, that we don't let our emotions get the best of us and do something we will regret. Last year emotions got to one of our drivers from rough driving from another driver. And then decided to to retaliate on the track against the driver he thought was racing him rough. He then proceeded to bang in this driver until he got the position he wanted back...but art the cost of flipping his kart and causing a wreck on the front strait. Turns out...he was mad at the wrong person and ended up RETALIATING against the wrong driver and caused injury to 3 drivers because of his emotions and anger. Injury to one of the drivers was quite costly and made him realize...it wasn't fun anymore, so he retired from the series.

In racing, mistakes are going to be made. Anyone's best race comes from when they made the least amount of mistakes during a race. From setup, to carburation of your motor, to picking the the right line. Its about making the fewest mistakes. But mistakes will be made...its the nature of racing. The trick is to learn from your mistakes and OTHERS in order to do well. But when someone bumps you hard or comes down on you once during a race or even gets loose on the bottom and comes up...sometimes its a mistake. Do not instantly think they did it on purpose and retaliate against them to get even. Cause then there was 2 mistakes made. Retaliation during a race or after will not be accepted in this series. ITS UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT AND YOU WILL BE PENALIZED!!!

You will be penalized for rough driving. Rough driving meaning not bump drafting in the corners...but slamming someone in the corners to make them move up in order to gain a position. Taking the low line into a turn and holding your line and pushing the outside guy way up the track once..is a mistake. Every lap or several laps during a race is rough driving. When racing close and your using the outside line...leave enough room for the inside line to get thru the turn. If you force your way down to the inside line forcing someone into the rumble strips once....its a mistake. Several times in a race is rough driving.

One time during a race is a mistake....several times in a race rough driving!!!

The penalty for rough driving will be:

5 Championship points & a $50.00 fine to be paid to the NASKART Series. You will not be able to race again until your fine is paid. All fines will go for the end of season NASKART party.

The penalty for RETALIATION OF ANY KIND will be:

10 Championship points and a $100.00 fine to be paid to the NASKART Series. You will not be able to race again until your fine is paid. All fines will go for the end of season NASKART party.

So if you want to pay for the party out of your own pocket....keep racing without respect.

I know that rubbing is racing....and it is allowed and even I have fun rubbing someone that I am racing with. But I still RESPECT them enough to give them room, no matter which side they are on. If they are inside of me...I will give them a little more than a karts width to make the turn...but I also hope that they will respect me as well...and if they have to...use the brake to keep their kart on the low line and not use my kart on the outside as a berm to make a pass. Remember, these karts are wider in the back than in the front. We all have the right to race close and it can be done with RESPECT. Without punting someone up the track...or slamming them in the corners or into the rumble strips. All I am truly asking is that we RESPECT each other and have FUN racing!!!

After watching the videos....and seeing the incidents that people recall....it ends up not looking as extreme on the video as it is recalled. But being that we are in a short wheelbase kart...it feels much more extreme than it truly may be and what the video shows most times.

After reviewing the video from the August 8th race and from activities after the race and on the racetrack, the following penalties have been assessed:

Lyndon Kirk & Marty Kreis have been place on Probation til the end of the season for UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT. If they have another UNSPORTSMANLIKE situation of any kind with each other or with another driver. They will lose 10 championship points and pay a $100.00 fine for the probation and accordingly given more penalties for the actions that would break their probation. This is a warning to all NASKART Drivers. There will be no other probations for anyone else for ROUGH DRIVING OR UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT. This is to make a point I am serious about keeping this series safe and fun for all. There could have been more penalties given....but I am hoping this makes a point to all so that I won't have to. LET'S HAVE FUN RACING!!!

Mike Steinman

NASKART #71

512-496-4371

If anyone has questions about my post or the rules...feel free to call me. Or IM me

Archived