TAMS

supertx

In another part of this forum there was a subject brought up about Q/C rearends and cost in the mods, being in the racing bussiness I talk to quite a few people every day and it seams that just about everybody that I talk to is in favor of the Q/C what is your thougths on this subject? I will say that im in favor of the Q/C in both dirt and asphalt mods.

OK, I'm the culprit that brought it up in the other thread. We raced 5 different tracks last year requiring 3 different gear ratios. We ran a 9" so we had a choice of changing the ring and pinion after each race or building 3 complete pumpkins and changing the whole pumpkin after each race ( there was only 1 combination of races that allowed us to use the same ratio 2 times in a row). We chose the 3 pumpkin route. Let's look at the economics:

1 - 9" housing complete (axles, hubs, etc) $1000

3 - ring and pinion sets 450

1 - spacer and shim kit 50

1 - 9" chunk with good bearings 150

1 - Detroit Locker 600

Total $2250 the hard way

or 1 - 9" housing complete $1000

3 - complete pumpkins with Lockers 3600

Total $4600 the way we did it

or 1 - Q/C housing complete (includes ring and pinion) $1300

1 - Locker 600

3 - gear sets 225

Total $2125

These prices don't take into consideration TIME. I could also buy more ratios with the Q/C to get closer to what's actually needed for each track.

Bottom line NO TOURING SERIES SHOULD BE RESTRICTED FROM RUNNING A Q/C.

:D I agree on quick change rear ends,another point is to look at coilovers instead of weight jacks or coilover eliminaters,add up the cost for them versus a coilover shock combo,and yes I know there are some expensive coilover combos too.

Lege,

The engine is another place to look at cost savings and crate motors are definitely less expensive. The biggest problem I see with them is the incompatibility with other series - but I guess you could always have a second motor to race Fl, Al, etc. Oh well, there goes the cost savings. By the way, did you see the article in last months Circle Track mag about how to cheat with a sealed crate motor? So much for making everything equal.

I would rather see a standardized set of rules compatible with other like series. It would allow easy transition for the big money races and make the motors more desirable for resale.

Archived