Please Help

Ariel66

Ok guys somebody PLEASE HELP ME, racing a 74 camaro Street Stock on asphalt, and having problems with the steering being so hard to turn with car off and on, feels like something is binding somewhere in the links but can't seem to find it. New parts that I have installed, centerlink, inner and outer tie rod end, pittman arm, idler arm, upper and lower ball joints, steering box, also built a new steering shaft to get rid of the quick steer that it had when I bought it, I understand that the car is heavy but geez. Have felt other cars that are very similar and feel alot smoother at the steering than mine. All info is greatly appreciated.

Just a few questions to help think the problem through:

Have you tried a different flow valve on the pump? These control the "feel" or resistance in felt at the wheel.

Stock or aftermarket pump?

Does it get tight at only one spot in the steering travel, or is it consistent all the time?

If it's consistent all the time in both directions, I'd start with changing the flow valve in the pump.

Hard to turn with the car OFF is not a problem. That hitch you feel on the track needs to be fixed, and that can be hard to duplicate with the car sitting in the shop. Look the steering links over real well for any shiny spots or missing paint that might indicate something rubbing. In the shop, you don't get suspension travel, so the fact that they don't rub in the shop doesn't really mean anything.

To be clear, Nick was asking about caster, not camber. One of the effects of large amounts of positive caster is increased steering effort.

Yeah I figured he meant caster, I just checked it and it was off, I took off the uppers to change the bushings and I guess I put the shims wrong I thought I put them back the way they came off, but guess not. I'm going to fix it tomorrow and go test it this coming friday and let yall know. Thanks Chase, and Nick.

Archived