THR Practice

racegirl15

There were several street stocks running, two late models, a few pro sedans, a hobby stock or two, and some small cars (legends, dwarfs.) Bandit showed up with his ROMCO car also and ran a few laps.

From our perspective and most of the other people I talked to, the track was very slick. It seemed to get a little better as the day went on, but we were still .3 off of our times from last year during our last run. Most of the cars looked loose with only a couple of exceptions.

The added pavement makes for a better entry into turn 3, and I think the track will be very good once some rubber is put down. I'm glad they decided to add another practice day before Saturday - the track will be better as a result.

Chase

JUST GOT BACK FROM PRACTICE, IT WAS A LITTLE LOOSE BUT I WAS HAVING A BLAST OUT THERE, COMING OUT OF TURN TWO FROM THE CENTER OUT I WAS MATTING IT, JUST FOLLOWED IT OUT WIDE AND DOWN THE BACK STRETCH FLAT OUT , IT CARRIES A LOT OF SPEED AND YOU CAN OVERDRIVE TURN 3 I WAS A LITTLE LOOSE GETTING IN BUT IT SEEMS YOU CAN KEEP THE RPMS UP FROM THE MIDDLE OFF , IT WAS SURE DIFFERANT BUT LOTS OF NEW ROOM TO RACE .....DON,T WORRY ABOUT BACK STRETCH RUNNING OUT YOU,LL BE READY TO TURN IN BEFORE IT RUNS OUT, AND MY OPINION IS ITS LIKE A NEW TRACK FUN/// FUN/// FUN HAVE FUN THIS WEEK END THR AND ALL THE OFFICIALS YOU ALL HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB, WADDY :D:D:D:D

Dang, Leland, don't be so modest and retiring. Tell us what you really think!

Seriously, let's here from a few more folks. By the way, Bobby Teer, Jr. looks pretty good on News8Austin tonight (try the sportscast at 21 minutes after the hour) and Cary's car looks good, too.

I spent most of the practice in the flagstand so I had a birds eye view.

Early on the track was slicker than slick even after we spent most of the morning and part of the afternoon (before any cars had arrived) pusing brooms and running the big blower. Mostly it was because there was no rubber down but I'm sure some construction dust excaped the blowers and brooms as well.

After and hour or two of cars slipping and sliding around, the track started to come in a bit. The faster the cars went the more they used the new back straight pavement. Towards the end of the day the track was only a couple of tenths off from last season's lap times, but still very greasy in turn 3. We had all but two of our spins in turns 3-4.

The biggest difference I noticed was that the best lap times by most cars were turned running 1-2 not so close to the bottom. And it helped if they backed off a bit going into three to keep from getting sideways. It looked to me like the fast way around 3-4 was closer to the bottom than in turns 1-2. I imagine the groove is going to move around somewhat during practice tomorrow and Saturday, but so far so good. The other thing that was impressive was how quick people could get back on the throttle in 1-2 and how fast they could honk down back straight.

One or two drivers tried to run the new concrete through 1-2, but only for one lap. It's definitly not the fast way around. It might come in handy occasionally, but I don't think we'll see many teams running down on the 5 foot apron very often. Remember, the rumble strip is still there and just as rough as ever.

I only had to throw the caution for rain (more like thick drizzle) once. And even then I let the cars go as fast as they felt they could under a combined green and yellow light.

Eddie Wallace didn't try to go fast as he was breaking in new gears, but got going fast enough to get it a bit sideways towards the end of his run.

Leland Wadell tried just about every imaginable line and from the sounds of his post, he might have had a bit of fun out there. And he's not lying about his the back straight speed.

Looking forward to tomorrows practice and BBQ! When I left the track (around 8) the BBQ folks were setting up shop.

Nick Holt

We had a great practice at THR today. There were a lot of cars getting some quality time on the track and trying out the new back straight. There is a little dirt left on the track from the construction and the track needs some new rubber laid down. It started off a little slick for everyone but you could see it improving with every run. It sure looks like you will be able to carry a lot more speed out of turn 2 using the wider back straightway and get a good angle into turn 3. I think the new concrete apron will really help keep a lot of the rocks and dirt off the track.

I would encourage all the drivers to make the practice on Friday and try out the new configuration. This would also help to get some fresh rubber on the track for Saturday night.

The rest of the facilities are looking great. A lot of people are working very hard at the track to get it ready for the new season. Many repairs and improvements are being made, everything is getting a fresh coat of paint and the new bleachers are going to be nice.

I talked to many of the drivers at the practice today, old and new, and I could really sense the excitement. Everyone was ready to get back to racing. See you all at the practice Friday and the races Saturday.

Greg

GUNDOG26,

There were 13-14 THR cars, three Pro Sedans (Donnie Moore and Jack Dishman both broke engines), one ROMCO (Eddie Wallace), a handful of Dwarfs and several Mini Cups..

We expect quite a few more cars to show up today.

Nick Holt

There is a little dirt left on the track from the construction...

Greg,

Have no fear. Nick "Broom-stick" Holt will take care of that dirt! :D

And honestly..I was there yesterday working in the office..I saw Nick sweep the ENTIRE way around the track..kudos to Nick for doing the "little things" to help the drivers out on the track!

Chuck,

I offered Chuck a broom too, but he managed to slip away.. said something about making a few phone calls to potential sponsors or some lame excuse like that.. LOL

So there's Chuck, sitting up in air conditioned VIP suite with two or three Hooters Girls keeping him well supplied with chicken wings while the rest of us are out there growing blisters... Somethings wrong with this picture.. LOL

Nick Holt

Hey Nick,

I think we should get Chuck "The Toothbrush" Licata out on the track to put some elbow grease to those though spots you couldn't get with the broom. And we'll watch him from the VIP suite with the Hooters girls. We could sell tickets to that and put the proceeds in the drivers fund.

Greg

Greg.. LOL

Of course, all kidding aside, Chuck does a great job for THR. He's one of the best announcers any of us have ever heard and his behind the scenes work with our THR drivers and sponsors is terrific. We're lucky to have someone of Chuck's caliber on board.

Nick Holt

I was there yesterday working in the office

Chuck,

You might have ole Nick fooled, but you ain't fooling me!

Announcers don't work! :lol:

Or at least that is what I have been told. <_<

:unsure:

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel!

We're lucky to have someone of Chuck's caliber on board.

Nick Holt

Okay Nick, you win...

GIVE ME A DARN BROOM! LET'S GET TO WORK! :D:lol:

Archived