haul

Stick with the F-250/350. I have an '02 F-350 7.3l Diesel 4X4 crew cab and I havent found anything I cant tow. I have done some updates(power adders) and it runs/driivers great, good fuel economy and has power when I need it. Plenty of room inside. It has been to California and back. Dallas/ Ft. Worth a ton. Houston, Beaumont, Baton Rouge and parts in between.

People will tell you a Dodge because power pulling power and they are right it is hard to beat a 24V Cummins motor, but all around I wouldn't trade my Ford.

Ford is good as long as it's the 7.3 ..I wouldn't have a 6.0 if it was given to me...But hey I have a 2004 duramax and love it..but have heard horror stories on them ..... I've had all Ford, Dodge and Chevy and the Ford (6.0) was the biggest P.O.S. bought it new and was in shop 4 times in 14 months................. just check the truck out good whatever youlook at

I have owned and worked on Ford,dodge and chevy diesels. Good and bad in all 3. I own 3 f-350 1993 -1994 non turbos and all 3 are great,not as much power as a powerstroke but no repairs or maintenance. They are like the energizer bunny. I have a 2003 f-550 7.3 powerstroke. Great truck ,lots of power but has some electrical issues on occassion. Powerstrokes due have some electrical problems ,fuel pump problems and occassionally cooler problems. I have a chevy c-5500 2004 with a duramax. Great running truck ,only problem injectors were replaced twice. I have a chevy silverado 3500 2006 with the duramax, tons of power and so far no problems. I had a 2004 and a 2007 dodge cummins 1 tons ,never any problems with those either. Dont buy any ford diesels after the 7.3 all pieces of crap. My recommendation buy what you can afford and like, you are the one going to have to live with it. Either it will be good or a lemon and it doesnt matter which emblem is on it.

I have a '96 F250 Powerstroke with almost 280K miles on it. I like the OBS (Old Body Style) fords and this one has given good service. Only problems since I bought it (at 175K) have been relatively minor:

Fuel pump

A/C dryer and expansion valve

two water pumps (glad I bought the lifetime warranty)

cam position sensor

glow plugs

two Alternators (again lifetime warranty)

rear axle (my fault for not setting the bearings right), junk yard price for a replacement $100 because they never go out and he figured he would never sell it for more..

For a 13 year old truck, the best thing is the interior and all the comfort systems (power windows, trim, cup holders, etc.) all still work (unlike my 1999 Buick with the typical Generic Motors rot - failing window regulators, busted cup holders, failing A/C controls, failing instrument lights, failed automatic dimming rear view mirror, oil leaks, etc..

Archived