Taurus tranny leak

tator1955

Helping a buddy with his 01 Taurus, car has about 100,000 on it and is good condition. He was pulling a real small U-haul and it spewed trannyh fluid. I hauled it the 100 miles home and put one quart in with no leak,. I checked the fluid it didn"t show on the stick so I put one more quart in and it started to leak. It appeared to come from the fill tube so I shut it down to check the tube and it puked a bunch of fluid (propable a quart) from the fill tube. Any suggestions other that the obvious that the "circled the problem"???

I would try changing the filter and see how it looks, may need to flush the system if shows metal or worse yet replace or overhaul. I have a 2001 with over 162,000 miles still going good, change filter every 15,000 miles it takes the mercon 5 fluid (synthetic), it takes 6 quarts when doing the filter change, the rest is still in the converter.

As the tranny builds heat it also builds pressure, and it will come out throught the vent tube. did he take it out of overdrive when pulling the trailer?? the ford taurus has a week transmision, to begin with, there are two types: the ones that will go out, and the ones that have gone out................

Helping a buddy with his 01 Taurus, car has about 100,000 on it and is good condition. He was pulling a real small U-haul and it spewed trannyh fluid. I hauled it the 100 miles home and put one quart in with no leak,. I checked the fluid it didn"t show on the stick so I put one more quart in and it started to leak. It appeared to come from the fill tube so I shut it down to check the tube and it puked a bunch of fluid (propable a quart) from the fill tube. Any suggestions other that the obvious that the "circled the problem"???

I found the problem with this P.O.S. The vent was not plugged (it is right behind the shift linkage), the oil cooler was flushed, the filter changed etc etc. After all that I called a very reputable transmission shop here in Wichita Falls (Steves) he said if none of the above took care of the problem there was a specific seal blown internally and would require a rebuild (it goes to his shop today). THIS TRANSMISSIION HAS A PATHETIC REPUTATION!!! My buddy has towed many different things with many types of vehicles and is far from your local village idiot. The trailer weighd 7 or 8 hundred pounds loaded and he did nothing whatsoever to overheat or abuse the trans. WITH THIS TRANSMISSIONS HISTORY I WOULDN'T TOW A FAT CHICK TO CHURCH WITH IT, IF YOU DO YOU ARE SETTING YOURSELF UP FOR A LARGE REPAIR BILL.

Thanks for all of your inputs.

TATOR

Archived