Would you let me run with your group?

I was wanting to see if the rest of the TPS racers would be opposed to a new driver with a different style car running with them.

My car:

1991 Mazda Miata built to NASA & SCCA Spec Miata specifications

Engine: Cone type air filter, no cat, rear exhaust system, factory manifold, otherwise completely stock. Probably right at or less than 100whp.... more than likely on the less than side.

Drivetrain: stock transmission, aftermarket clutch & stock flywheel, Mazda Comp. rear dif

Suspension: SM suspension kit: Eibach springs, bilstein non adjustable shocks, eibach roll bars, pretty basic. Only adjustments are ride height, sways, and obviously alignment settings. Roughly 2.5-3.0 degrees of camber available.

Brakes: Stock except Hawk pads, stainless lines, good fluid, napa rotors

Safety: Full cage with nascar style door bars, fire suppression system, quick release wheel, window net, Al seat with seat back brace, 5pt harness, hardtop

The car is setup right now for road racing, not circle track. Buying a 2nd race car would not be an option financially.

I would obviously need to get the 13" wheels and hoosiers as that looks like the spec tire. The car weighs right under 2100lbs. It's slow, but carries momentum fairly well.

From watching some of your in car videos it looks like I would definitely not be a front runner. I'm just looking to find a class to run with to bring my family out and have a little fun. I have experience road racing, but none on a short track. I'm safe and I have very good situational awareness so when the leaders come through I wouldn't be an annoyance. I'd like to look into running at Red River and possible Thunderhill.

I'd like to get everyone's input as to what they think.

Here's a couple of pics for anyone that cares:

34xfcw4.jpg

wunuc8.jpg

1e894n.jpg

I know I'm one of those blasted road racers, but at least I'm going left in the pics! :lol:

I don't think I would have a problem with it, I would have to look at the rules again, but we used to have a provision for IT cars. Yes tires and wheels of course. I don't know about your gearing with a stock engine, keep in mind on the oval you usually don't have much time to shift except on restarts. The racing does get a lot closer then a lot of the road course races. We had a Fiesta kick our tail years ago at College Station, and he came and ran one race at Longhorn Speedway and didn't have good luck there, overheated brakes and all. The only issue is it didn't come with a rear seat(sedan) but I don't have a problem there either. You need to talk to Neil, he may allow it on a R & D basis if everyone agrees. We do have a good group of guys, and pretty intense racing. Looking forward to our CC race July 11th, no the last time TPS raced there, but the year before we had the top 12 within a 1/2 second of each other. I hope you cage extends forward and aft. I would suggest getting a hold of THR for the next practice and see if they will let you take some laps and get the feel and see what it can do there.

Archived