Paving under way at THR

NickHolt

Just got off the phone with Brian Callaway, Co-owner and Promoter at Thunder Hill Raceway. He informed me that he was watching the paving crew putting down asphalt on the back straight while we were talking.

TQ Jones tells me he will be sending me some pictures later on.

Nick Holt

A shot of the changes to the turn four restraining wall. The grade will be smoothed and the business end (the rounded end that faces the oncoming cars) of the wall will be protected by large tires.

post-2-1079659678_thumb.jpg

GUNDOG26,

Not sure what your question is.. If you are asking is the whole track going to be concrete, the answer is no. Just the five feet in from the edge of the track will be concrete.

Nick Holt

IS THE DEGREE OF BANKING THE SAME ON THE NEW ASPHALT-(IS IT A SMOOTH TRANSITION) IT'S HARD TO TELL FROM THIS PICTURE?

A shot looking back at the back straight from turn 3. The new pavement continues at the same banking angle and is about 20 feet wide. There is no ridge between the new pavement and the old, it's a smooth transition.

post-2-1079666127_thumb.jpg

lbeaver6,

That wall that you are talking about is in the EXACT SAME POSITION it has always been. It is no more dangerous than it ever was. All they did was to move the wall that cars used to pile into all the time - the one that had a whole bunch of old tires in front of it - back out of the way so cars leaving the track at that point in turn 3-4 would have a fighting chance escaping from their off-track excusion without front end damage.

As you can see, that section of the wall that they moved needs some fresh paint. I bet if you show up this Saturday for the THR volunteer work day, Brian would show you where the paint and paint brushes are! LOL

Nick Holt

Jason,

Since the track is pretty flat...What will happen if the drivers turn the new 5ft inner apron into the racing groove?

The reason for the 5 ft. concrete apron is to help keep dirt and rocks off the track when someone spins off the track. I'm pretty sure once the drivers see the lumps and bumps in the new concrete they won't want to do much racing down there.

Nick Holt

DON,T WORRY FOLKS ITS GOING TO BE GREAT, THATS WHY THEY PUT BARS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE , I THINK IF WE JUST GIVE IT TIME WE WILL ALL LEARN TO DRIVE THE NEW CONFIGURATION . WE WANTED CHANGES , NOW WE GOT EM, WAY TO GO JIM BRIAN NICK AND ALL THE THR PEOPLE, FASTEST 3/8 IN TEXAS THAT SOUNDS KINDA GOOD HUH, GET READY PEOPLE WERE GOING RACIN WADDY.

wy didnt they carry new pavement into turn 3, if someone holds you out that a good drop off to go in.

Gunnar,

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure the pavement towards turn 3 goes far enough to keep that from happening. It looked to me like they paved past where a car would normally be before having to turn down to go into the turn. I don't think another driver could run you up high that long without missing turn 3 himself. If he did, you can bet someone else will pass him on the inside! :D

cs

SS99 you're right. This will make the back straight more like the front. By the flagstand you're starting to turn into turn 1 so you can be on the bottom (need for concrete) If you're still on the new asphalt by the time it runs out you're not making turn 3 at race speed, and if someone pushed you up there, they aren't either!

I wonder if they will have to add concrete to turn 3/4?

As for the wall, good improvement.

Paving project is looking good. I have a question though. THR is planning opening night of racing on the 27th, then taking the next 2 weeks off for TMS race then Easter. I don't know what the curing time should be for the new pavement but would it be a good idea to hold off opening night until the week after Easter?

I know this is not going to be a popular idea with the racers or even the management. Just hate to see it if the pavement is not cured long enough and starts to come up. With all the money the owners have invested in this upgrading project wouldn't it be smart to be sure the track is ready before racing.

If it comes up in the middle of the season then how long will they have to stay closed to repair it...

I'm not trying to introduce a negative into such a positive move for THR. Just want to see the track & racers enjoy the season without any problems with the pavement coming up.

Thanks,

Mel

Why dont they make it where you can run lower in turn 2 the new asphalt on the back stretch is good but your still going to force cars off the top of track coming off of turn 2.

Also in turn 4 You Used to hit a bunch of tires and not tear up a car extremely bad now that you made it flat cars are history granted it is in the same spot the moved the tired there is nothing to stop the car before it goes to a flat wall.

If you are that high at the end of the back straightaway you will be in the marbles anyway. I dont think that the hobby stocks and simialar cars will be seeing the new pavement. We dont go fast enough to use it, BUT I like that it has been put there for the faster cars. I think they will really enjoy having it there.

Bigger Track = Faster Speeds :D

Archived