Starter engagement

Bull10

Starter is a JRM ST1001 and the flexplate is one of the light weight ones from Day. The engine is a Chevy 350 in a USST. I've clocked it in about every position available and it just won't engage. The CVR worked fine. I just don't get it. Thoughts??????

When you say "won't engage" what do you mean exactly? Does the starter just spin but doesn't catch the teeth on the flywheel, or does it reach out to catch the flywheel and get stuck?

Those flexplates require .120 or so of clearance between the nose of the starter gear and the ring gear because they flex at RPM. Have you tried shimming the starter down from the block?

It just spins away.

Have you put somebody under the car to watch the starter gear when this happens? Sounds like what a starter does when the bendix is going bad - the gear spins but doesn't telescope out to engage the ring gear. Could be that you got a bad starter right out of the box.

I had a starter do something like what Chase is talking about. The motor spun fine, but the bendix was bad internally, and would not engage. It would extend, but not spin. A pair of pliers showed the problem.

And it may not show up on a no load spin check. I had hell convincing the idiots at XXX parts that there was something wrong.

Another one, same store, kid's truck. Placed starter on the truck, would barely turn over. Had a smell like a short. The burnt armature varnish smell.

No load spin check showed it ok also.

In both cases, the replacement worked fine.

That rebuilt stuff ain't worth it in the end.

you should be able to get a 1/8 inch rod in diameter between the flywheel and bendix shaft . if to loose bring starter closer to flywheel by cutting shim in half . put on backside footing , that will put nose closer to flywheel . or whole shim all the way across the starter to go away from flywheel. make sure you have good connections everywhere , if not you get dragging sound. man i hope this will help you . i have had my fair amount of time on this . hope it helps

They sell starters at the XXX store!!!!!!! :lol: .

:lol::lol:

Dang, I must been bad confused that day.

No wonder the Oreilly's guys in Schertz look at me real funny when I come in wearing a trench coat and a fake mustache.......................

Archived