THR March 20 practice is cancelled

NickHolt

As we all know, the paving at Thunder Hill Raceway has been delayed due to the inclement weather and the resulting wet base. I talked to Brain a few minutes ago and the paving is now scheduled for Thursday, March 18th. Obviously, that is only if the rain stops and things dry out as it is supposed to.

This means that the Saturday March 20, practice has been cancelled. At this point we are scheduling a practice for Thursday, March 25 from noon until dark and Friday, March 26th from noon until dark. In addition, the track will open at noon on opening day, March 27.

I know this is not anywhere near enough time for practice, but it just could not be avoided. The paving work was scheduled from the very first of the year, but it's just been one weather delay after the another.

I appreciate everyone's concern and understanding.

Nick Holt

Nick,

Please pass on to Brian that their efforts are appreciated. The extra practice time before opening night is not the perfect situation, but it's about the best we can hope for at this point. The weather always wins!

cs

Someone PM'd me asking about the cost for practice at THR for these two practices.

It's $20 per driver, $15 per person for everyone else. Free admission to the grandstands.

Nick Holt

Well I would have to say I bet brian will be bald by the end of this deal, Looks like maybe some sun for a few days will help dry it, I just hope it cures good enough and we don't tear it up and ruin all the work these guys have done. To all those phone commity people who have been helping out ...Good job.. and... Thank You..... nice to have a voice helping out....

The Red Shark is ready to bite...........

Double A - Yes, Texas Pro Sedans may participate in all Thunder Hill Raceway practice sessions. (See Press Releases and Results Section of this website for details). If you wish to enter TPS races during 2004, contact me at 210/655-3222.

Neil Upchurch

Race Director

Texas Pro Sedans

Tommy42,

Turning on the track lights is very expensive and the practice is only scheduled until dark, but I imagine that if enough teams wanted to extend the practice time, Brian might willing to do it for whatever it costs them to turn the lights on for a few hours.

I may take quite a few teams to pool their financial resources though. I know quite a few ROMCO teams are planning on making that practice and I have heard through the grapevine that there will be some TPS cars and cars from other series there too.

Nick Holt

To all those phone commity people who have been helping out ...Good job.. and... Thank You..... nice to have a voice helping out....

Excuse me for changing the subject for just a second, but I'd like to follow up on what John said here...

I am VERY proud of what I've named the "THR Drivers' Phone Committee." At the drivers' meeting a couple weeks ago, I started (forced at gunpoint?) a committee of 4 people who have their own "phone list" of THR drivers, and they call their list of drivers when something comes up the drivers need to be made aware of (when practice is postponed, etc.)

I will name those folks in a later post (I want to check with them first before I name them). But, in just two weeks time they called their lists 3 times, they were very effective and have received positive feedback on their communication efforts...I appreciate everyone's efforts on the drivers' behalf.. :D

This fund raising BBQ sounds like a great idea. And with that going on in addition to practice, seems like a great opportunity to turn the lights on for a couple of hours Fri. night. I know the lights cost money to turn on, but it's also in the track's interest as well as the drivers' to extend the practice time. Here's to hoping! :D

Chase

I agree with ss99, if we could get a car count here on TSZ, on how many cars are going on Friday, that may help with the decesion to turn on the lights. With all the intrest shown on TSZ about practicing Friday, I expect there will be a lot of cars and getting everybody a fair amount of practice before dark might be difficult. If it happens, GREAT, if it dosnt, I am thankful for the extened times for thurs,fri,and sat.

I will be there thurs, and will have at least one crew member with me on friday.

NOT TRYING TO PEEVE ANYBODY-BUT MAN WE'RE LOADED WITH CLASSES (THAT ARE RUNNING OPENING NIGHT !) TRUCKS ARE NOT. YOU GUYS GOT THREE THURSDAY BEFORE YOU APRIL 17TH RACE. SO HAVE SOME CONSIDERATION FOR THE GUYS WHO HAVE ALREADY BEEN LIMITED ON PRACTICE TIME-

alot of the trucks have not even been on atrack yet ,and dont even have a set track to race on every weekend , you have to look at it this way if the truck do go to the practices that mean more money for the local class to have for purses and end of the year purses.

I'm sure that any trucks will be welcome.

And that goes for just about anyone that wants to practice.

Hey, there is going to about 8 hours of practice time each day.

I think that is enough for everyone to share.

See ya'll there.

:D

If I am counting right, there will be 7 different classes possibly practicing on Friday, I know the THR phone committee could get a car count for the local classes that plan on showing up Friday, maybe the other classes could contact their race directors so that they could let a THR official know how many to expect, or let them contact a THR official direct. What I'm getting at is we need to let Brian know some sort of # so that he can make feesible deceision about turnning on the lights Friday night. I think everybody is excited about the improvements that have been done at the track, and dont think anyone should be excluded from pratice. A lot has been done in the off season to make Texas racing better and get the "family" closer, lets keep moving ahead! Just remember, if things dont work out the way you think they should next week, lets just write down constructive critisism and turn it in at the pit gate, and not bitch and moan about it here or any where else; because after 3 years of building my car all I want to do is go racing!!! Just my thought.

Lonestar88,

The only thing I see that needs to happen for practice is having someone controll how many laps a group gets and how many cars are on the track...

There will be track officials who will be there to do just that, including me.

Nick Holt

Archived