David Starr says "No Cup" at TMS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE March 14, 2004

David Starr says “No Cup” at TMS on The Motorsports Zone

Texan David Starr told an Austin motorsports radio show today that he probably won’t try to qualify for the NEXTEL Cup race April 4 at Texas Motor Speedway.

Starr, who drives the #75 Spears Manufacturing Chevrolet in NASCAR’s Craftsman Truck Series and is scheduled to run the #50 Holigan Racing Team Enzyte Chevrolet for 15 Busch Grand National Series races, answered show host Chuck Licata’s question about running a Cup car at the upcoming Texas race. "Last year, Mike Starr (David’s uncle) and I tried to qualify for the (Cup) race last year but we failed to do that,” David Starr said. “We talked about doing something again, about trying to make (this year's) Nextel Cup race. He tried to get in touch with Richard Childress Racing (because) we wanted to have a Richard Childress car and Richard Childress motor. Mike said he wanted to work a deal with Richard Childress. But last I talked to Mike, he said that probably wasn't going to happen. So, it looks like we'll just work on qualifying for the Busch race and that will be it...I'm looking forward to running at my home track at Texas."

Starr is a resident of Irving and considers Texas Motor Speedway his “home track.” Starr has committed to a once-a-month segment on The Motorsports Zone. Starr and is one of several members of the Holigan race team who appear on “The Reality of Speed” reality show which airs Saturday mornings at 10:30 a.m. EST on the Spike TV cable channel.

The Motorsports Zone is a weekly show that airs on KVET-AM 1300, The Zone, which is the flagship station for University of Texas athletics. The Motorsports Zone is hosted by Chuck Licata and Ric Clark and airs every Sunday from 10-11 a.m. CT during the NASCAR racing season.

-30-

Lori,

We appreciate you and Mike and EVERYONE who tunes into the show on a regular basis. That's a lot of the reason why I'm working hard to get the interviews that our listeners want - be it David or any of the NEXTEL Cup drivers, or folks from the local race scene...

Again, thank you...

Archived