1182 steel crank

this has been a coin toss . I am building a sbc 355 with all slightly used parts. I have a fresh cut 40/40 crank with castings #1182. i checked these numbers and it says steel crank. the motor will be turning no more than 7000 rpms.some people say dont use it but then there is a few said to go ahead.I need some imput before it goes to get assembled..what do yal think ?????

For a circle track engine up to 7000 rpm, a cast crank will outlive the 1182 steel crank. This advice is based upon 30 years of racing and having used both types of cranks.
So bein 40/40 turned doesnt put it way out of the ball park? I have two cast cranks but they will be needing turned to at least 20/20 or even 30/30 ? Just needing more imput....

40 is sure a lot of material taken off. I have a 30/30 cast crank in a sbf that has been tortured with blowers and nitrous and to many rpm with no problems. I would not recommend that but what I'm saying is that most of the time up to 500hp and 7000rpm stock stuff is fine as long as its machined right. You can get another 1182 pretty cheap if you wanted to and still go that route.

Archived