? about gears

SassyCassie14

• 2 months later...
I need to know this as well. I am running a 6.00 gear at Thinderhill asphalt track. 3/8 mile track. I was planning on about a 686 for Texana. I hope someone post up a good gear pretty soon.

What class are you running?

The gear really depends on the class / weight of the car. The limited mods weighing around 2,350 to 2,400 use a 6.00 to 6.20.

If you're in a stock car weighing around 3,400 the most common gear would be the 6.88 combo. I wouldn't go higher than a 6.50 in the stock car to get off the corners and any lower than 6.88 in a stock car is pretty demanding on the motor. I've used anywhere from a 6.50 to 6.88 in stock cars myself.

Hope this helps

It helps. I am running sportmod. We turn right at 7000-7100 on our motor now. We were thinking that some of the heavy cars were running around a 720 or so. Thats why we were going to build up the 686 gear. It sucks that the next step from what I run is a 656 which is now probably too much. I just didnt think the 602 I run now would be enough. I guess I can always show up with what I have and try it. I can always change the trany and get a 622.

A 6.0 final works great in edna, you should turn about 6500- 6800(depending on driving style), if you run a 6.22 you will be right at 7000-7200 which on a hydraulic motor is really pushing it. Now this is for the sportmods only, Monty is right on the bombers running the lower gearing, they also have a much taller tire which affects it as well. Remember LM-RACER, dirt track you cant get in as deep on the turns on the throttle and you will have wheel spin coming out. just a little different world.

Thanks. Looks like the 600 gear wins for now. We'll see what it does. I'd like to be at the 7000 area on the motor but we'll see what it does.

Not to get off the subject, but I have never been there and it will be my first dirt race ever. I'm an asphalt guy. Is there a big ground clearance issue there or is it pretty smooth most of the time? I'm asking because my header rurn downs are kinda low. About 1-1 1/2 inches below the frame.

Thanks. Looks like the 600 gear wins for now. We'll see what it does. I'd like to be at the 7000 area on the motor but we'll see what it does.

Not to get off the subject, but I have never been there and it will be my first dirt race ever. I'm an asphalt guy. Is there a big ground clearance issue there or is it pretty smooth most of the time? I'm asking because my header rurn downs are kinda low. About 1-1 1/2 inches below the frame.

the track is usually very smooth and feature time gets really dry slick(almost like asphalt)we usually run about 6.5 to 7.250 ground clearance at the body bushing mount hole behind the front tire where the frame turns out. the imca rule book gives a minimum crank to ground height as well. they are not imca sanctioned but run most of the same rules with a few exceptions. shady oaks is running tonight if you want to give it a whirl, longer straight a little faster track and usually stays tacky. in goliad

http://www.imca.com/manage/uploaded/%5Bdia...rawing-2009.jpg

23. ENGINE COMPARTMENT: Rear of engine (bellhousing flange) must be mounted at least 70-inches forward from centerline of rear axle. Minimum 11-inch engine height from ground to center of crankshaft. One radiator allowed, steel or aluminum, 27-inches by 19-inches maximum in size, must be mounted in front of engine. Racing cap and electric fans allowed. No sprinklers. Catch can required. Power steering pump and reservoir must remain one unit and mount in front of engine. Side engine mounts (OEM or 45-degree style) must be steel, aluminum mid-plate allowed.

It's a legal sportmod so it should be fine with the rules. I wish I could have went to a race but we are building a new motor right now. It let go on the first practice lap at Thunderhill last saturday night right at the start line, and then spun around and smacked the turn 1 wall pretty good. So Destroyer is building a new rear section for it right now. I want to go out there on the 6th to see the track, meet some guys and watch some racing. I should make the next race after that. Goliad is quite a drive for us. But my Brother in law loves that track. He just quit racing the TSRS Late Model series and is going to run a stock or street stock type class. He's converting his Enduro car right now. So we'll both be out pretty soon. He really thinks I will get hooked on dirt and quit asphalt. I dont know though. I havent tested my sideways skills yet. LOL

Oh. I'm supposed to ask this for my brother in law. What gear is good for pure stock at this track? We have heard anywhere from 680 - 720+ .. He just needs a decent starting point.

Historically, 688/690 is the ultimate gear at Texana for a stock car around 3,400#. Some have run as high as 620 or as low as 720 in a stock car with success. In reality, in a stock car 620 is getting pretty darn high at Texana. If you wanted the most common theme, 688/690 is it.

Archived