Texana Joins South Texas Mod Series

TRP

Hot off the Press!

Texana Raceway Park is joining forces with South Texas Speedway and I-37 Raceway for the first ever South Texas Modified Championship Series. More details to come soon and a formal media release on this as the three tracks work together, but here are some of the basics:

*As of this writing, this is a modified only series. I-37 is IMCA for sport mods so that wouldn't pan out, but Texana and STS are working on some further thoughts for the limiteds / sport mods.

*Will likely be a 9 race series with three designated events at each track. Specific dates for each track are being ironed out.

*The payout for these events, if different than the regular nightly payout, will be announced for that event by the hosting track.

*Each track has agreed to place $10 per car into a points fund for each designated event hosted in the series. For example, if 25 mods show at an event designated as one being part of the South Texas Modified Championship Series at a given track, that track will place $250 into the points fund. By the end of the season the points fund could be pretty nice.

*Specific breakdown for series fund distribution will be provided later.

All tracks would welcome conversation with any interested sponsors towards this series who may want to be invoved with other contingencies towards the series or other ideas sponsors may have.

We are excited to be part of this ground-breaking series to see who will be crowned champion of the 2009 South Texas Modified Championship Series. Stay tuned. More detailed will be posted as details become available.

-Monty

• 1 month later...
Monty,

I really don't know the reason, but I do have to ask............why was Shadyoaks NOT included in this series? I feel adding another track that is in the area would make this a better series possibly?

Brian - The thought of a mini-series like this started many months back and initially was going to include STS and I-37 as a mod series only. Everyone owes Owen (STS Operator) a big thank you for taking the first steps to even getting this thought off the ground. That first step in itself was a huge step and he has my admiration for making the first steps on something like this. As Owen and Jim (I-37 Operator) worked together to start the wheels rolling, Bruce (Texana) was not in the mix just yet. Later, just before the date I made the original post in this thread, Bruce came into the mix and Jim, Owen and Bruce worked together to create the nine dates.

The nine dates the three tracks found were very challenging in trying to schedule. First, the tracks had a goal of not scheduling on any of the USMTS southern series events, as several to the teams participate in the USMTS Southern Series. Second, each track did not want to add special dates on top of thier schedule for these events and worked within their existing scheduling structure. As all of this rolled together by not scheduling an event on Friday at I-37 and then Saturday at STS or Texana, not scheduling during USMTS, and not scheduling when a track had another big event going on it created a good little challenge for them.

When the initial framework began for this process began, Shady Oaks was just being purchased, and was not yet back to running with races. It is my understanding that the three operators worked together for this year. This will also allow Shady Oaks to get their business operation on the ground and running for a season first. If this infancy year of getting this series off the ground turns out to be a success and something the operators desire to do for a subsequent year, I think that any operators can work together. This has the potential of being a real launching pad, but everything cannot happen overnight. So, in short this first year is a trial between the three operators to see how this works out.

Owen has experience with running series like this. What he brings to the table on this will be very valuable for the tracks. I know that there are a number of administrative things that have to be done such as points maintenance, funds distribution determination. For example, my wife and I volunteered to create the flyer to provide to the three tracks that I passed out last Saturday. That's just one little thing we as racers don't think about going on behind the scenes. We will post that here and other places soon. There are still some things Bruce and Owen are ironing out on the limiteds with the tires, so hopefully the limited part of the series can remain a reality. There are a great many things that have to be done behind the scenes. Teams can solicit additional sponsors for this series. At present, the three tracks are placing $10 per car into the series for each event when a car shows. That is off of their income and they shoudl be applauded for placing that into the pot. This has a huge potential to be a great positive as it gets off the ground in its infancy year, but will need a lot of positive input and support from various sources.

For me personally, I salute Owen for taking the first steps, and Owen, Jim and Bruce for coming to the table and doing this for the teams. I hope others feel the same way and if we do, we need to tell these guys Thank You.

-Monty

Archived