Hooks win ROMCO opener

NickHolt

all i hear was it was a barn burner, wish i was there it freakin rained all day here in cc.

top 5

99 Doug Hooks

90 John David Jr

51 Michael Crawford

32 Heath Stewart

11 Tommy Grothues

I was told by my sources that brandon pulled a cole trickle, drove through the smoke. thats all i got.

Big John

P.S. did i mention it was a good race. Sources say there was bumpin and bangin and good hard racin.

I certainly hope all the ROMCO drivers were okay, if there were any accidents.. :unsure:

From Big John's account, it sounds like it was a real fan-pleasure! :D

Oh, by the way..

The Motorsports Zone Fab Five had 2 top-5 finishers (Hooks and Heath Stewart)..not bad! ;)

Chuck L.

I was there last night, wasn't alot of passes up front, the #8 car was looking strong in the lead until he got swept up in a wreck right in front of him, he had no where to go. The 99 was the only one that could run with the 8, all of the drivers looked OK to me, but alot of cars got tore up

Chris got spun by a lap car while making it 3-wide while battling for 3rd going in to turn 3 on the outside. Greg was fast all day, no body could touch him. Hooks got close during qualifing. The outside wasn't to good last night. Greg slid back at the start after the invert (Started 4th) and had a flat tire and got hung on pit road going a lap down. Then at the checkers a lap car from OK # 44 took him out at the flagstand. It might have totaled the car. The rear clip looked a little bent. As for the race, it was not the best I've ever seen but Houston is just such an great place to race so to me it didn't matter!!! Lap cars were a big problem last night. I few new, well $couted Rookie$ were also in attendence, but the made a few rookie mistakes. Also cudos to John David Jr #90 started 6th finished 2nd. Michael Crawford not sure were he started but he passed a few cars and ran well all night.

Hooks did say he had a ASA race for Houston, and I talked to Chris Davidson after the race, and he said he also had a ride. Forgot to ask what teams.

There are a couple rumors going around about other Texas drivers picking up a ride, but nothing substantiated.

With all of Hook's money it doesn't suprise my that he could get a ride. With Chris' driving record and with some of Greg's connections I'm not suprised that Chris got a ride either. Does Kenny Bumbera still has his ASA Car? And does anyone know who he was going after in the pits at Houston after the race. I didn't see his wreck on the front strech but I was by his car when got out of it to kick somebody's tail.

Hooks bought a car to run the ASA race, from Clay Huckaby, and i would like to say good job to him. FOr not bein in a car for over a year he did a dang good job in houston. (Finished 10 i think) last car on the lead lap. And the #44 told Greg it was an accident after the race. It was a racing deal, they both came off the corner side by side and hit together..

I would like to say Great job to the Umscheid Race services team and especially Doug Hooks #99 and Robert Richardson #33. Doug did an awesome job throught the whole weekend and with many downfalls Doug still ran great and pulled off another win at Houston Speewday, and Robert Richardson a rookie also did a great job for his first Romco race, Qualifying 18th, avoiding many accidents and running in the top 10 all night until getting caught up in a late race accident which set him back to 23rd.

Archived