Old Stories

Texasrick64

Does anybody remember a black #55 mod that was owned by Johnny Sims and driven mainly by Jerry Minor (R.I.P.)?

I remember after a the season was over one year Johnny and Jerry had a misunderstanding Johnny and My dad were good friends so Charlie,Johnny and myself (I was about 12) loaded up one Saturday and went to Jack Rabbit Speedway in Ok. My Dad set fast time won the heat race and trophy dash. The feature was 20 laps he led every lap it seemed like he ran about 50 the car was getting hot, one good thing that was solved when we started running Methanol, he said he kept waiting for the white flag but the car got to hot and he pulled of the back stretch into the pits. The white flag NEVER flew as soon as he pulled off the threw the Checkered. The ol man was pissed ran straight to the flag stand and was raising hell when the track owner came up and said "Dont worry Charlie Im gonna pay you for winning the feature we was just enjoying watching that car run we didnt want to stop the race, when you pulled off the show was over" LOL

Talking about cars overheating reminds me of a story a friend of mine use to tell . He and his brother in law used to drag race in East Texas .

They ran a straight 6 against V-8's . In those days they didn't have the christmas tree and used a flagman to start , and you would get three "jumps" before you were dq'ed .

He said , being down on power , they would always jump the start twice , and by the time they had relined the third time , those V-8's were so hot they were ready to seize up .

He says they won a lot of races that way .

In the early 80's Dirt and Dirt south had a race at the Bowl Eldon won it and stopped at the flag stand for the presentations he was driving a big block car it was so hot it was making noises I had never heard. It sounded like a fourth of July show it was different. LOL

Archived