doug ingalls

bg36

All the Texas cars beat them when they let them run their wings . The Northern boy couldn't stand it , loaded up their cars and said they were going home unless they made the Texas cars pull their wings off .

I REMEMBER THAT NORTH VS SOUTH RACE AT COWTOWN ONE YEAR. IT WAS COLD AND THEY WERE TOUGH.

I was at the North vs. South race at Greenville , the northern boys kicked butt there . But I was also at the one at Devils Bowl where Eldon won and John Ewell finished second (or was that the other way around?) and none of the north guys were even close to them .

Eldon pulled his car up north one year and ran against them their big race at Nazareth Penn . if I remember right . Seems like someone else went too . Russel Shoulders ?

Seems I remember the Bill Day car went up there once also ?

Eldon definitely won one of them at the Bowl when the northern guys hauled south, late February time frame. I was at Cowtown Friday night; don't remember who won that one, but I went to the nearest payphoneabout midnight, called my Dad collect, (early 80's-no cel phones back then). He thought I'd lost my mind calling him about a race until I told him who came down from Yankeeland. He was at my house in Ft Worth before noon, and we froze our asses off that night watching Dotson beat them all Saturday night at the Bowl. Red 72, and it wasn't really very close at the end.

Walt with Eagle Racing Supply has ties to Jack Johnson who was a long time North hotshoe. Walt told me once that Jack thought the bowl was about the best track he ever raced on.

Nothing against any of the other dirt tracks I have been to, but I will always rate the Bowl as my favorite.

Here`s some of my pics from the DIRT vs. DIRT South races.

Chuck McKee in the Miller High Life car and Mike Hodges? in the white 29 - Devils Bowl 1989.

435689562_JyKUr-M.jpg

Danny Johnson at the Bowl 1989....

435689565_YnJcB-M.jpg

Doug Hoffman at the Bowl 1989

435689517_hm6hh-M.jpg

Another Danny Johnson shot from the Bowl 1989

435689507_fGLZp-M.jpg

Bob McCreadie at Greenville 1988

435689466_2BLVq-M.jpg

It was the #21 car that Eldon won in at Devils Bowl .

The thing I remember most from when the DIRT North guys came down was Jack Johnson at Greenville .

There was a hole in the middle of 3-4 , and every time Jack hit it , it looked like his car was going to turn over . It must have been a line he liked , cause he hit about every lap , and seemed like he went in harder each time .

We said that we see why they called him "Jumping Jack" Johnson .

Archived