PAS 1972

see86go

I've been busy changing careers and trying to make a race here and there, so I haven't had a lot of time to post more of my collection. TXTom's last post got me thinking about the old days. so here are some photos I shot with a Polaroid camera at Pan American Speedway when I was 12 years old. I've touched them up a bit to make things show up better.

Here's Jerry Stanley leading a pack of cars out of Turn 4. I believe the Ford is Steve Walker, the car on the inside may be #51 Tony Moore, Donald Oatman is on the outside, and the #88 of Walter Groff is in the rear.

72stanleyb.jpg

In this photo, #40 Carl Wentrcek is pointed the wrong way. I believe the car behind the pole is the #24 of Robert Wilson, with the #66 of Ted Jones and the #20 of Fred Elbel following.

72turn3.jpg

The #10 of Willy Charro has hit the wall, and he is standing on pit road. That's Ricci Ware in white. I believe the car in the infield is the #33 of Danny Rittiman, with the #88 of Walter Groff entering Turn 3.

72charro.jpg

Bobby - Thanks for the comments. I love being able to share these photos and then read about all the memories.

Here is the #20 of Fred Elbel coming down pit road.

72elbel.jpg

The $66 of Ted Jones leads Fred Elbel and #71 Jim McVea.

72jones-elbel.jpg

Here are some Novice cars, as they were called at that time. The #46 is Craig Calhoun and I believe the #5 is Stanley Goldstein.

72goldstein.jpg

There was always something going on - in this case bagpipes.

72bagpipe.jpg

I will post more when time permits - I've found some stuff from the early days of Highway 16 that I will be posting soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we were in the area, and decided to show my kids what was left of the old Speedway, i have very few memories of going there, and have only mentioned the place a couple of times to my kds, but when we walked up on to the track I could almost here there hearts break. It was hard for them to see the exact lay out of the place due to father time and weeds, my son Cody said he would like to take a lawnmower and weed eater out there and cut as much as he could just to get a better view of it. they found a old Hoosier tire and a couple of old gatoraid CANS they took as souvinors. IF ANY ONE HAS ANY PICTURES OF THE FRONT ENTRANCE, OR ANY THING ELSE IT WOULD BE NICE TO SHOW THEM.

Charles,

Next time you are out and about, you may take them by to see this sign. It is hanging on the wall at Hill Country Customs on Hwy 46 between New Braunfels and where FM 3009 intersects 46.

Pan American sign

As for any pics of the racetrack, Harry Kinsey has the Ted Hood archives at his shop in Marion; and he keeps a tight cover on them. I am not sure what he plans with them long term, but I will ask him next time I am by there.

• 6 months later...

Edirt's pic is the first Pan American, located on Austin Highway. Take Northeast parkway to where Sunbelt makes a circle; that circle is about the location.

Archived