Accident at Thunder hill, we call the NasKarts for a reason

We call them NasKarts for a reason. This is fasr paced, nose to tail, side by side racing.

Fortunately, we have very few accidents, although just like any type of racing, an accident can happen at any time.

These karts are designed with safety in mind. They are equipped with energy absorbing bumpers all around. This is the reason we won't allow any other type of kart to compete in our races. Birel is the only manufacturer who have this style safety impact zones.

The karts and safety gear used by our drivers did it's job. In the event of a roll over, the driver wants to be thrown clear of the kart. We wear full driving suites, helments, golves, and a neck brace to protect the driver in this type of accident. Our driving suite is different from fire retardent suites worn by drivers of full body cars. Our suites are designed to protect from abrasions, as the driver is thrown to safety, out of the kart. in the event of a rollover.

The worst thing that can happen in a rollover is to have the kart land on the driver. As everyone witnessed at Thunder Hill, the driver was thrown clear. Jim Mullins , the driver of the #77 was taken to the hospital as a precaution and checked over by the doctors. He was released, with no major injuries. The doctors instructed him to get up and start moving around as soon as possible. he will be sore today but will be just fine.

The other kart that was cought up in the accident was Travis Roberts driving the #14. He almost went head on into the wall. The energy absorbing bumpers also did their job in his case. He walked away with no major injuries although I am sure he will be a little sore today.

The NasKarts sanctioning body constantly strive for good clean safe racing. As drivers get caught up in the heat of the moment, some of the newer drivers, who have not been around this kind of racing very long have not experienced the conseqences of over zealous driving. This accident will do more to educate the drivers on the need to give and take than any amount of preaching by the directors and managementof the NasKart Racing Series.

We put on a great show for the fans with close side by side competitive racing. Our goal is to continue with even better and safer racing in 2009.

Some one made a post refering to our driving suites. The subject is covered in the body of this post.

"with safety in mind" you would knix the fire suits and make leathers mandatory.

how are your suits different? there were abrasions.

it is a serious insurance liability that the rest of us could loose a place to race over, and then you guys would have to go back to your parking lot.

it's not cool , no matter how heroic you try to make it sound.

"with safety in mind" you would knix the fire suits and make leathers mandatory.

it is a serious insurance liability that the rest of us could loose a place to race over, and then you guys would have to go back to your parking lot.

Crazyhorse

Its never cool to be involved in an acicident.

As I mentioned, We do not wear fire suites. They are specific to kart racing. Our big brothers, The 130 MPH shifter karts wear the same protection. Also the Super Karts that race on the high banks at Datona at over 200 MPH also where the same suites.

They are a double layer design, with the outer layer made of an abrasion resistant polyester/cotton blend

that has an extremely high thread count to surpass the stringent level 2 homologation while retaing its flexability. They are CIK and FIK level 2 approved.

We understand the insurance liability and the concern of the promoters and other racers. You can be assured we will be taking steps to control our drivers so as to not put the rest of you at risk.

Smitty

CRAZYHORSE, I APPRECIATE YOUR CONCERN AS FOR AS RACING ON PARKING LOTS. WE HAVE YET TO RACE ON A PARKING LOT. AS PROMOTER AN ONE OF THE FOUNDERS OF NASKART,WE ARE AWARE OF THE SPEEDS AN THE NEED FOR MORE SAFETY. AS WE SPEAK, I ALREADY HAVE A AREO FRONT SPOIL ER IN THE MAKING, THAT WILL DEFINITELY HELP THESE KARTS STAY ON THE GROUND. WE. LIKE ALL RACERS ARE CHALLENGED EVERY DAY AT GOING FASTER,AN BEING MORE SAFETY MINDED. I DO NOT THINK THERE IS A BETTER RACING GROUP IN AMERICA THAT SPENDS MORE TIME BEING CONCERNED WITH THE SAFETY OF OUR DRIVERS ,AN THE FANS ,THAT COME TO WATCH SOME EXCITING RACING THAT WE DO. NO ONE LIKES TO SEE SOMEONE INJURNED SPECIALLY OUR DRIVERS. WE ARE CONSTANTLY COMMUNICATING ON SAFETY,AN THE WELL BEING OF EVERYONE. WE TO HOPE TO SEE YOU GUYS NEXT YEAR AT THUNDERHILL,WITH A NEW ADDED FEATURE ( FRONT FEHERRING ) TO HELP KEEP THE RACEKARTS ON THE GROUND. I APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT AN CONCERN. LATER. BEANER...................................

As I mentioned, We do not wear fire suites. They are specific to kart racing. Our big brothers, The 130 MPH shifter karts wear the same protection. Also the Super Karts that race on the high banks at Datona at over 200 MPH also where the same suites.

They are a double layer design, with the outer layer made of an abrasion resistant polyester/cotton blend

that has an extremely high thread count to surpass the stringent level 2 homologation while retaing its flexability. They are CIK and FIK level 2 approved.

I didn't get a chance to watch the karts Saturday night, but I have seen on several occasions,

kart drivers wearing Levi's and tennis shoes.

That ain't cool.

I didn't get a chance to watch the karts Saturday night, but I have seen on several occasions,

kart drivers wearing Levi's and tennis shoes.

That ain't cool.

The Jeans + Shoes has got to stop. Get Real. Get Safe. You guys know everyone should be in KART suits. AT LEAST K1 suits. A Leatt brace aint a bad idea either. Glad Jim was in a kart suit. I know ya'll bear saftey in mind..but you're the only organization that doesn't make driving suits manditory; fix that.

Come on now...don't be ridiculous. Serious wrecks can happen in any class, at any time. I don't think pinning rediculous statements like this after ONE WRECK (the first major wreck in Naskarts history) is very mature. Last time I checked Naskarts held a civil race that were fast and competitive. Some things need to be changed, but you don't see accidents out of retaliation or anger like other classes. This was a racing wreck, thank goodness he is ok.

Come on now...don't be ridiculous. Serious wrecks can happen in any class, at any time. I don't think pinning rediculous statements like this after ONE WRECK (the first major wreck in Naskarts history) is very mature. Last time I checked Naskarts held a civil race that were fast and competitive. Some things need to be changed, but you don't see accidents out of retaliation or anger like other classes. This was a racing wreck, thank goodness he is ok.

the insurance liability i'm discussing is the blue jeans and tennis shoes , same thing you posted previous...maturity has nothing to do with it,,,,i race cars.

it will become a problem , now more than ever after the hospital bill going to the insurance co. in the name of the track, and this organization trying to say they wear protective gear is a joke.

You know that's great you race cars, we race karts, plain and simple we are all racers. Yes the Naskart organization has a few issues we need to work out. As far as I know there is no such thing as a perfect racing organization out there, they all have issues. The Naskart group does its best to be respectful to the track and to our fellow racers, and we deeply appreciate what Thunderhill does for us. I've raced at tons of tracks all over the country, and I have to say that Thunderhill, and its people puts on a top notch show. Look we don't use these forums to attack other classes so please don't do it to ours. As far as our safety equipment being a joke, I was in the 14 car that took a 70 MPH, head on impact with the wall, and I have to say every piece of gear I had on allowed me to walk away from that crash. The issues will be fixed, and I know I for one am looking forward to putting on the best shows possible for our die hard race fans in 2009.

i was saying my maturity level is of no matter,,,,,,,,,i'm racing cars. i'm a grown a-- man and still pi-s my money away at a racecar. so it's obvious ive got maturing to do. get it,,,it was a knock at myself.

i'm not knocking anybody. just stating that you guys got some serious conforming to do if yall are gonna race at those speeds. this is not an asphalt lot that has cones ,hay bails or old tires for walls,,,,,it has a very solid wall that hurts us when we hit it, you got lucky.

i respect anybody that races to a certain level. but bigG is throwing a blanket over it and not telling the truth.and we all want to race there next year and that won't happen if mary ann has her rates raised ten fold.

-that is all i have to say about that.

i was saying my maturity level is of no matter,,,,,,,,,i'm racing cars. i'm a grown a-- man and still pi-s my money away at a racecar. so it's obvious ive got maturing to do. get it,,,it was a knock at myself.

i'm not knocking anybody. just stating that you guys got some serious conforming to do if yall are gonna race at those speeds. this is not an asphalt lot that has cones ,hay bails or old tires for walls,,,,,it has a very solid wall that hurts us when we hit it, you got lucky.

i respect anybody that races to a certain level. but bigG is throwing a blanket over it and not telling the truth.and we all want to race there next year and that won't happen if mary ann has her rates raised ten fold.

-that is all i have to say about that.

CRAZYHORSE, YOU HAVE WRONG INFORMATION ABOUT NASKART. THIS IS OUR FOURTH YEAR AT THUNDERHILL. THIS IS THE FIRST ACCIDENT THAT WE HAVE HAD. IF YOU GO BACK TO SATURDAY NIGHT,YOU WILL SEE THAT EVERY CLASS HAD A RACING ACCIDENT. THE MODIFIED SMASHING INTO THE WALL AT TURN 4 TO NAME ONE. YOU NEVER SEE US BAD MOUTHING OTHER CLASSES. I THINK WE ALL ARE RACERS AT HEART. THUNDERHILL HAS BEEN GREAT TO US,AN I KNOW WE PUT ON A GOOD SHOW FOR THE RACING FANS. WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING AT FILM AN VIDEO TO SEE HOW THIS HAPPENED. WE WILL DEAL WITH IT AN TAKE MEASURES TO SEE THAT IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN. YOU NEED TO COME TO THE PITS SOMETIMES AN MEET SOME OF THE BEST DRIVERS IN THE COUNTRY. I THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT. LATER. LETS PUT THIS TO REST,AN MOVE ON. BEANER.....................................

You know speeking of jeans and tennis shoes, I have seen several drivers get into there car or truck on a friday night practice session with only a helmet and a jacket while their racing shoes, pants, and head/neck restraint sit on the trailer. If you don't think that the car or truck will not burn at the same temp in practice as in a race then maybe it's ok. When a car is on the track for 1 lap or a 100 its a good chance something could go wrong. This is as much of an insurance issue as any so every driver needs to think twice before hitting the track.

Archived