Crew Chief/Mechanics

PAPA

We always talk about the drivers (past and current) but we have managed to pass over the one responsible for the cars that those drivers drove. They are a very important part of racing history. They need to be remembered and talked about. I think a list, both past and present, should be made so that they too are never forgotten. I'll start it off..... The first one that comes to mind is a present day crew chief/mechanic. Everyone on TXSZ knows him. He is GOOD! And he's a really nice guy.....

BIG JOHN

thanks for the kind words papa, it takes a lot of hard work to get cars on the track. others that come to mind are tommy owens, terry james, david umschied, jr, homer, bubba naumann, bobby black, raymond delahusse (sp) the list goes on.

big john

p.s. mom and dad well mostly dad got this whole racing thing started for me and i thank them.

No list would be complete without Chase Stapp near the top!

Keith MacFarland was an outstanding crew chief for both Ed Sczech and Rick Rapp back in the day...

Nick

Thanks Nick. I think all of these guys share at least one thing in common - they get as much excitement from seeing their car and driver in victory lane as the driver does.

Most or all of these guys are or have been late model crew chiefs. You don't see too many "crew chiefs" in the super stock class. Most of the drivers wear that hat too. Our team is different in that way, and that is one reason why we feel like we've found the success we have. Our goal is to transfer that success to the late model in 2009.

• 2 weeks later...

And from Pan Am days, Jerry and Bobby Pelton were a great team for many years in the Mini Stock class. Jerry could make an air-cooled VW the car to beat while Bobby could drive the wheels off it.

Nick

My Dad, Mike Garrett, imo, is one of the best crew chiefs that I have ever been around. He was the brains and the glue that kept the Rose City Racing Team together. Colby Tipton and my Dad worked on Jon's truck 7 days a week for all of those years. (I only showed up to the races most of time) It didn't hurt having Big Jon as a driver. Together we showed everyone a bunch of dirt track boys from East Texas could come race and win against some of the toughest competition in the nation. Terry James won a few races himself.

also forgot big karl, chris davidsons crew chief, chris sathoff, who is now retired, david barker, butch bukowski, although he didnt fill up the grand stock with gas, kieth riethmeyer (sp). im sure there is many more that i cant think of right now, but i dont remember some of the ones nick and tx tom talk about, maybe im too young.

big john

Well when thinking of the best crew chief of all times only one name comes to mind; David Umscheid, though I may be a bit bias let me explain. Since I started racing in 1998 we have accomplished:

1998 2nd Lonestar Legends points (9 wins)

North Texas Asphalt Championship

1999 2nd Lonestar Legends points (9 wins)

Fast Qualifier INEX Nationals at Lowe’s Motor Speedway (254 cars)

2000 INEX 600 Racing Pro National points champion (19 wins)

Texas State points champion

Texas Motorspeedway Pro division champion

2001 6 fast time awards one track record at THR - ROMCO

2005 “Time Warner Cable 125” Race winner - USRA

“Barden 125” Race winner – USRA

“Hill Country Wireless & Satellites Fall Brawl” Race winner – USRA

2008 Texas State Pro Modified Champion (12 wins with 2 races left)

Houston Motorsports Park Championship

Thunder Hill Raceway Championship

Red River Speedway Championship

North Texas Asphalt Championship

These are just the accomplishments he has helped me achieve. He has also been on other race winning / championship teams like:

Michael Umscheid – Legends 54

Ray Drews - HMP Late Model 97 (9 wins in a row, and Track Championship)

Todd McLemore – legends, SLM, TSRS 54 and truck 77

Steve Green – Truck, TSRS 54

Thomas Tucker – HMP LM, Legends, Pro Challenge 22

Colt James – ASA 15 (3 wins in 2008 & 2nd in Championship)

Doug Hooks – SLM 99

Robert Richardson Jr – SLM, Legends 33

Patrick Lawler – SLM, All Pro, NASCAR Truck – 31

Les Bunte – Legends 4

Jimmy Spillar – TIDA, Legends, Trucks – 59

Jason Marshall - Truck 42

This man has not only lead me to wins and championships on the race track but I wouldn't be as far in life today if it was for his guidance on and off the racetrack. Dad thanks for being my crew chief through life, you have been my only crew chief since I started this race March 31, 1983. We would not have accomplished these things if it wasn't for your hard work, dedication and winning attitude that you instill in everyone you work beside.

This is a picture of one of his first racecars. Not only is he a great crew chief but im glad I don't have to race him on a weekly basis!

Thanks

J.C

post-3-1224619967_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of one of his first racecars. Not only is he a great crew chief but im glad I don't have to race him on a weekly basis!

Thanks

J.C

Ask your Dad how Bergstrom AFB contributed to that car.

Thanks

J.C

Ask your Dad how Bergstrom AFB contributed to that car.

TxTom he said from a LEFT perspective Bergstrom AFB made him a heavy favorite! And much like an old mule they also made sure he was harnessed to his work. I dont know but he said you would understand.

J.C

TxTom he said from a LEFT perspective Bergstrom AFB made him a heavy favorite! And much like an old mule they also made sure he was harnessed to his work. I dont know but he said you would understand.

LOL, I know exactly what he is talking about.

And while I have heard David called a lot of things, "An old mule" is a new one....Kinda fits too! :D

Guys I feel really bad it wasnt until I got a phone call a few minutes ago, that i realized I had left off a very important person. Dad also worked for Turner Motorsports in assisting Doug Lege to a ROMCO win and then went on to work with Charlie Turner in the TSRS and HMP Late Models, as well as Kris Turner in the Legends. Sorry Doug I hope you can forgive me. If I left anyone else out it wasnt becuase you werent good enough to make the cut its just that I forgot to mention your name.

J.C Umscheid

PS: Doug is my car finished yet?? What about November 8th?

Archived