Championship Showdown at Thunderhill Raceway this weekend

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Debbie Williams, 210-685-0400 (cell), debbie@thunderhillraceway.com

Thunderhill Raceway Public Relations Director

Championship Showdown at Thunderhill Raceway this weekend

Close battles wind up 2008 racing season at Allstate Texas Stock Car Spectacular

KYLE, TX (Sept. 23, 2008) – Stock car fans all over Texas are in for a real treat with two full days of racing action at Thunderhill Raceway (THR) this weekend – the last racing weekend of the 2008 regular season.

Allstate will present the Texas Stock Car Spectacular this year, and the jam-packed agenda will feature 10 classes of race cars and trucks over a two-day span – starting at noon on Friday (Sept. 26) and ending with several feature events on Saturday night (Sept. 27).

One of the THR’s tightest track-championship battles will be a team affair by the Grand Stocks, and the top drivers will get two shots at mixing up the points’ chase.

The Grand Stock drivers will compete in two separate feature events – one each on Friday night and Saturday night. The best finish in either race will be used to determine the 2008 track champion, so any of the Grand Stock drivers could put on a last-minute charge for the points’ lead.

Currently, the Premier Motorsports team has three drivers at the top of the Grand Stock standings. Homer Pitner (New Braunfels, TX) is in the lead with 1,274 points, James Aramendia (San Antonio, TX) follows with 1,250 points and Carolyn Aramendia (San Antonio, TX) sits third with 1,192 points.

Although Pitner is not directly related to the Aramendia clan, he works for Aramendia Motorsports, owned by Carolyn’s husband, Joe. And James is Carolyn’s brother-in-law, so these team members really get to experience some “family-friendly” competition on the track.

Pitner is a bit apprehensive about this weekend’s races. “Right now, I’m not sure who will win the championship,” he said. “I’ve had a couple of bad finishes the last two races, and I think any of us has a shot at taking over the points’ lead. Carolyn seems to have the fastest car, but James has been more consistent throughout the year. With the double-race format for this weekend, it’s anybody’s guess on how things will end up, especially with the large car counts and close racing.”

The Thunder Stock class drivers have also faced some tough competition this year, and Joey Tschoerner (Bartlett, TX) has been occupying the top spot for most of the season. But Gary Chancellor (Bastrop, TX) isn’t far behind.

Tschoerner will go into Saturday’s race with a narrow 38-point lead over Chancellor, and the battle for the championship will all ride on qualifying rounds and one last feature race. Tschoerner has claimed two feature victories this year while Chancellor has visited the Winner’s Circle three times. Both drivers have shown that they know what it takes to win.

Tschoerner is feeling pretty confident about this weekend’s race and has high expectations for holding on to the points’ leads.

“I feel good about this weekend, and I think I can hang on to the lead as long as I don’t break (my car) or get put out of the race by someone else,” said Tschoerner. “I know Gary is a good competitor and I feel he’ll race me hard and clean for the Thunder Stock championship title. If I finish in at least the top 7-8 positions, I should end up in good shape in the points’ race.”

Another factor that might throw these two drivers a curve ball are some possible bonus points (5) that will be awarded to the driver who qualifies the fastest and/or breaks the track record.

The points’ battle for the ASA A-Line Super Stock has already been decided. With seven feature wins and 14 top-five finishes, Cary Stapp (San Marcos, TX) already has that championship title in the bag. However, Stapp is currently leading in the ASA Short Track National Championship battle so another win could help him clinch this coveted title.

Joining the local classes at the Allstate Texas Stock Car Spectacular will be the fast and exciting TSRS Late Models, ExpressJet Pro Modifieds, Pro Trucks, Texas Pro Sedans, Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas, SportMods and NasKarts. Preceded by qualifying rounds, the races will start at 7 p.m. on both Friday and Saturday.

A wild and crazy post-season event – called Crash-A-Rama – is scheduled for Sunday, Oct. 26, at 2 pm. Included in this event are a Demolition Derby, Enduro Race, Bus Race, Car-Boat Race and Chain Race.

Thunderhill Raceway is a 3/8-mile, asphalt D-shaped oval track that’s located at 24801 IH-35, just north of San Marcos (TX) near Yarrington Road (Exit #210). For more information and a complete schedule of events for this weekend, visit the Thunderhill Raceway website at www.thunderhillraceway.com.

- 30 -