Modified - sorta - at SAS

NickHolt

1989 was the year. San Antonio International Speedway was the place.

Ricci Ware, Sr. was promoting the track for Frank Howell and decided to introduce an asphalt modified class at the now defunct SA half-mile. The class looked like it might take off until ...

Do you know the rest of the story about what happened to the SA Modifieds?

This one, as you can see by the name on the roof, was driven by Audie Howell as was the # 25 Camaro still on the trailer in the background.

But who was driving the #17 LM? And what did he have in common with a current Pro Modifed driver?

Nick

post-3-1221260451_thumb.jpg

The rest of the story is probably the broken neck suffered by Ricci JR that year that ended his career, and for all practical purposes, Ricci SR's involvement with a racetrack.

• 2 weeks later...

I WAS ONLY A KID BACK THEN AND MY DAD(ALLEN VASBINDER) WAS ON JOHN MEYERS PIT CREW THEN. THAT WAS SCARY FOR ME. THAT WAS ONE NASTY HIT. GLAD TO SEE JOHN STEP UP AND PUSH TO FINISH THE RACE. FROM MY UNDERSTANDING THAT WAS THE SECOND OR THIRD TIME JR HAD SUFFERED FROM NECK PROBLEMS. THINK THAT CLASS RAN ITS LAST RACE THAT NIGHT UNTIL THE MODIFIEDS CAME BACK MANY YEARS LATER. DEFINITELY ONE OF THE WORST WRECKS AT SAS LEADING TO INJURY. SAW DAMON ROLL HIS TRUCK DOWN THE FRONT STRETCH, TERRY RIDE THE RIM, AND NOT SURE WHO IT WAS BUT THE GAT WAS OPEN AFTERWARDS WITHOUT HELP. THE RACING GODS DEFINITELEY HAD THEIR HANDS ON THE TRACK.

Archived