Cary Stapp attempts to widen gap on ASA West Region lead

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Debbie Williams, 210-685-0400 (cell), debbie@thunderhillraceway.com

Thunderhill Raceway Public Relations Director

Cary Stapp attempts to widen gap on ASA West Regional Championship lead

KYLE, TX (September 7, 2008) – Cary Stapp (San Marcos, TX) has turned in some impressive results at Thunderhill Raceway (THR) during the 2008 racing season – and this past Saturday (September 6) was no exception.

Stapp had regained the lead in the ASA Joe Gibbs West Regional standings following his win a week ago (August 30), and he went into Saturday’s ASA A-Line Super Stock Twin 25 races with high hopes for yet another win – or two.

During the first Super Stock feature race, Stapp fought hard for the lead. He started in the 11th position and charged forward on the 3/8-mile asphalt oval – settling in for the second position during the final few laps. Young Levi Krauss (Schertz, TX) managed to hold off Stapp and claimed his first feature win of his rookie season.

Stapp faced some tough competition again in the second feature race – charging hard to the front from the 10th starting position. Stapp grabbed the second position with only four laps to go, and he again finished in the second position – behind Doug Ayers (Pflugerville, TX). Ayers was charged with a technical infraction due to ride height during a post-race inspection, and Stapp was awarded the winning trophy.

Stapp is hoping that his strong finishes on Saturday night will help him maintain his regional lead and improve his chances to move up the ladder in the Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil ASA Member Track National Championship.

“Although I felt like I was under a lot of pressure to get to the front each race, it was really fun,” said Stapp. “The racing was rougher than usual, and I had to drive hard all the way from the drop of the green flag to the finish. Normally, I use a lot of patience to get to the front, but I felt I had to make my moves quickly to get a good finish. I really hope that getting a first (by default) and a second-place finish, it will help my standings with ASA, especially with only two more races to go.”

With six wins and 13 Top Five finishes, Stapp is closing in on Jimmy Mullins from Franklin County Speedway (Callaway, VA) who is currently leading the national standings with a performance indicator of 4.607. Stapp was shown with a 4.3652 point average in last week’s ASA standings, and he holds the lead in the Thunderhill Raceway Super Stock points’ race – with a solid 313 point lead ahead of Duane Toyne (Leander, TX).

Several factors are considered in the performance indicator computation – including track point standings (must be in track points’ lead), the field sizes (number of cars competing in each race), the starting/finishing positions, the number of races entered and the number of wins and top finishes. The national competition was introduced by ASA earlier this year, and it’s the first time the Thunderhill Raceway drivers have been eligible to compete for the coveted national and regional titles.

In other racing action, Mike Farrish (Copperas Cove, TX) grabbed the feature win in the Grand Stocks. Shawn Cannon (Fourney, TX) claimed the win in the first Allison Legacy Race Series (ALRS) feature race, and Taylor Brandes (Garden Ridge, TX) found his way to victory lane in the second ALRS feature race.

Thunderhill Raceway will be back in action this Saturday night (September 13) – featuring the local classes and the ever-popular TSRS Late Models and JRA Kids’ Bike Races. Qualifying and heat races begin at 6 p.m.

The 12th Allstate Texas Stock Car Spectacular will close out the THR season on September 26 and 27 – highlighted by the TSRS Late Models, Pro Sedans, ExpressJet Pro Modifieds, Pro Trucks and Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas.

A post-season event has also been added to the Thunderhill Raceway calendar. The first-ever Crash-A-Rama will be held on Sunday, October 26, starting a 2 p.m. Events included in the Crash-A-Rama are an Enduro Race, Demolition Derby, Chain Races, Car-Boat Races and a Bus Race.

Thunderhill Raceway is a 3/8-mile, asphalt D-shaped oval track that’s located at 24801 IH-35, just north of San Marcos (TX) near Yarrington Road (Exit #210).

For more information on Thunderhill Raceway, visit the THR website at www.thunderhillraceway.com.

- 30 –