Kart visability and Number size

I figured I would bring this topic up publicly, in hopes that ya'll have discussed it. Most racing organizations require numbers to be of a certain size. Perhaps its time to make a mount-able number plate for behind the seat. Why?

Here:

I personally think the Karts are a lot of fun to watch, but I have no idea who drives what Kart since the NasKart folks do not provide that information to me. Also, I cannot type and watch the race through binoculars at the same time. You may have noticed that Kathy scores the NasKarts from the flagstand because she can't see the numbers up there either. Not only that, but if you'll notice in this week's results, none of the drivers' names are published either. It's really up to the sactioning body to provide the media with press material if they expect the press to cover their events.

Regarding the NasKarts, Roy had provided the driver list to me. I failed to give a copy to Kathy (or Nick).

But Nick is correct about reading the kart numbers from the tower. On Friday night, the NasKarts director (Roy) and I discussed a way to make the numbers more visible from the tower. In that way, it will be much easier for all of us to identify the karts for scoring, scoreboard and media purposes.

I'd suggest you come up to the tower during a NASKART practice and try to pick out the car numbers as they go around the track...you can't.

Even if I had a driver's list, I wouldn't be able to call the race, whether I was calling it from the tower or the flagstand.

I did over-hear a conversation where Roy was talking about changing the Car #s so they would be readable.

That would be a huge help.

The NASKARTS put on a great race...

NOW, here are the top influences in our local track (THAT FRIGGIN PUBLICIZE RACING) telling you guys: YOU NEED BIGGER NUMBERS. Please, consider it. Make a seat mount, that could mount a larger plate off the back of the seat or something, that could hold a 10" plate for numbers. Something visible from the stands.

side note...I still think all the karts should be required to look like a (past or present) Winston Cup/Sprint Cup cars. Its more uniform and looks cool.

side side note..roy, leave the quote button alone, just hit reply. : :D

ROBERT,THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I HAVE ALREADY MADE IT MANDITORY FOR THE NUMBERS TO BE AS BIG AS THE FRONT SPOILER CAN HOLD. IF YOU LOOK AT THE #14 KART,THE NUMBERS WILL BE EVEN BIGER THAN THAT. SO I HAVE ADDRESSED THAT PROBLEM,AN IT WILL BE IN PLACE THE NEXT SAT NIGHT RACE AT THUNDERHILL. YOU ARE RIGHT,NASKART PUTS ON A GOOD RACING SHOW. I KNOW THE CROWD LOVES TO WATCH US DRAFT DOWN THE STRAIGHT AWAYS. WE ARE HEADED TO HOUSTON THIS WEEKEND FOR TWO DIFFERENT RACES. CIRCLE TRACK,AN ROAD COARSE, SEE YA LATER. BEANER.........................

Speaking from experience as one who has scored many races, its far more important to have those numbers displayed either on the front or the side of the vehicle versus your suggestion that they go on the back. When scoring the person looks at the front or side of the car as it passes the start/finish and it is done this way to be able to call the close ones properly. If a scorer has to wait until the cart passes the start/finish to read a number if there is more than one cart in that configuration what guarantee is there that the scorer will write down the right one first. I can only recall ever scoring one cart race several years ago and I recall their numbers were all displayed on the front and right side.

I am working on this problem for all....and will start with mine to make sure they are readable...as well as still looking somewhat decent. I will now make all number plates with a White background and black numbers. Might even make them all the same font for readability. And might even use black reflective vinyl so they light up. Any objections to anyone? let me know...mine will be the first and will have it for the houston race. ALSO....HOUSTON REQUIRES TRANSPONDERS FOR SCORING OR WE WILL HAVE TO SUPPLY OUR OWN SCORER...SO ANYONE WHO HAS A TRANSPONDER...BRING IT TO HOUSTON....ANYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE ONE....BORROW ONE FROM SOMEONE IF YOU CAN!!!

Speaking from experience as one who has scored many races, its far more important to have those numbers displayed either on the front or the side of the vehicle versus your suggestion that they go on the back. When scoring the person looks at the front or side of the car as it passes the start/finish and it is done this way to be able to call the close ones properly. If a scorer has to wait until the cart passes the start/finish to read a number if there is more than one cart in that configuration what guarantee is there that the scorer will write down the right one first. I can only recall ever scoring one cart race several years ago and I recall their numbers were all displayed on the front and right side.

Correct, but I was misunderstood. I'm talking of mounting a number plate that faces the stands on the back of the kart. Kinda like you would see on a dragster, for his bracket numbers:

post-3390-1220546371_thumb.jpg

Like that, but obviously, not that exactly.

Sounds like you've got this covered though mike.

Not only the size of the number, but the contrast. We should probably mandate a background that's white or yellow and numbers that are black. Some NASCAR cars have flouresent colors on the roof so the spotters can see them.

HELLO BRIAN, I HAVE ALREADY ADDRESSED THAT ALSO. THE BACK GROUND WILL BE WHITE WITH LARGE BLACK NUMBERS. MIKE STEINMAN WILL BE EMPLOYED TO FURNISH THESE AT A SMALL COST TO EACH KART. WE SHOULD HAVE THEM BY THE NEXT RACE AT THUNDERHILL. I'M ALWAYS ON TOP OF THINGS. THANKS BEANER..............................................

I figured I would bring this topic up publicly, in hopes that ya'll have discussed it. Most racing organizations require numbers to be of a certain size. Perhaps its time to make a mount-able number plate for behind the seat. Why?

Here:

I personally think the Karts are a lot of fun to watch' date=' but I have no idea who drives what Kart since the NasKart folks do not provide that information to me. Also, I cannot type and watch the race through binoculars at the same time. You may have noticed that Kathy scores the NasKarts from the flagstand because she can't see the numbers up there either. Not only that, but if you'll notice in this week's results, none of the drivers' names are published either. It's really up to the sactioning body to provide the media with press material if they expect the press to cover their events.[/quote']

Regarding the NasKarts, Roy had provided the driver list to me. I failed to give a copy to Kathy (or Nick).

But Nick is correct about reading the kart numbers from the tower. On Friday night, the NasKarts director (Roy) and I discussed a way to make the numbers more visible from the tower. In that way, it will be much easier for all of us to identify the karts for scoring, scoreboard and media purposes.

SORRY ....suggest you come up to the tower during a NASKART practice and try to pick out the car numbers as they go around the track...you can't.

Even if I had a driver's list, I wouldn't be able to call the race, whether I was calling it from the tower or the flagstand.

I did over-hear a conversation where Roy was talking about changing the Car #s so they would be readable.

That would be a huge help.

The NASKARTS put on a great race...

NOW, here are the top influences in our local track (THAT FRIGGIN PUBLICIZE RACING) telling you guys: YOU NEED BIGGER NUMBERS. Please, consider it. Make a seat mount, that could mount a larger plate off the back of the seat or something, that could hold a 10" plate for numbers. Something visible from the stands.

side note...I still think all the karts should be required to look like a (past or present) Winston Cup/Sprint Cup cars. Its more uniform and looks cool.

side side note..roy, leave the quote button alone, just hit reply. : :D

ROBERT,SORRY, IDIDN'T REALIZE I HAD HIT THE QUOTE BUTTON, JUST A FINGER MISTAKE. LATER BEANER............

Archived