ASCS Sprint Flyer for Texana

The ASCS Sprint Cars are headed to south Texas for a three day blitz on August 29, 30 & 31. They'll be stopping at STS, Texana and 105 Speedway. The ASCS Sprints will be stopping at Texana on August 30th, plus, Bombers, Limited Mods and Mods will be running for extra money ($1,000 extra in the purse for each of the three support classes). This is a great opportunity for especially limiteds and mods to run up the coast for back to back money.

Below is a copy of the flyer for the event. Also, go to the Texana home page www.texanaracewaypark.org and click on the image for a larger view and for printing:

ascspic_laborday.jpg

Borrowing a little information from one of my other posts, here is some good info on some of the names planning to hit Texna for the August 30th event.

Jason Johnson - Hometown: Eunice, Louisiana. 28 ASCS National Tour feature wins before the start of the 2008 season. Current ASCS 2008 National Tour points leader. Most recent win was on 8/3/08 in Knoxville, Iowa, at the Brodix Tournament of Champions aka Knoxville Nationals with over 100 competitors. Jason is on top of his game right now, and we're very fortunate to have him planning to attend. Here's a link to the write up on the Knoxville win by Jason: http://www.ascsracing.com/racenotes.asp?ID=57842&yr=2008

Travis Rilat - Texas native. Former ASCS National Tour champion. 22 ASCS National Tour feature wins before the start of the 2008 season. A top contender at any ASCS event, keep an eye on the #29. Here's a link to Travis' bio onthe ASCS website: http://www.ascsracing.com/ascsdriverdetail.asp?id=368

Kathryne Minter - The 17 year old high school senior from Bedford, Texas who's a huge hit with the fans of all ages. Kathryne started off in mini-stocks racing at Grand Prairie Speedway just a few years ago, quickly moved up doing double duty for a very brief time in a Limited Modified and Sprint cars, primarily at Cowntown Speedway, but almost immediately decided to give full attention to the Sprint Car. This year she joined the ASCS National Tour. Here is a link to Kathryne's personal website: http://www.mint13.com/

On 8/22/08, Travis Rilat's dad, Greg won the ASCS Gulf South event at HOT in Waco. Greg, from Texas City, will be looking for another win when he heads back to the southern part of the state next weekend. Here is Greg's bio on the ASCS site: http://www.ascsracing.com/ascsdriverdetail.asp?id=504

After a rain out of a race planned for 8/23 at the historic Devils Bowl Speedway in Mesquite, the series moved the event over to the high-banks of Cowtown Speedway in Kennedale. Kolt Walker who normally runs in the Sooner region came in and took his first ever ASCS feature. Not certain if Kolt will make our event, but if he is able to head down our way, you can bet he'll be ready to back that feature up with another win. Here's Kolt's bio on the ASCS site: http://www.ascsracing.com/ascsdriverdetail.asp?id=14184

Got a call from Kathryne Minter's dad today seeking directions to the track. They are laying out their route for the weekend. Alright!!!! Now, we need good weather from here thru the Labor Day weekend. Lot of good racing scheduled in the south Texas region Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights! One of the best opportunities to get your racing fix with three full nights.

I read on the Cowtown website that they were flying Saturday night up there. That track has always been fast. Was the fastest in the DFW metroplex when I was growing up. We are so anxious go get these cars on the Texana track. With the long straights, we're guessing they'll be hitting 120 to 125 mph before the turn, expecially on the front straight. Up and down the Texas coast, everyone is excited about the three day run for the Sprints!

We've watched a couple of ASCS shows this year in the dallas area and they were pretty good, but I'd have to say that Saturday night at Cowtown was faaaaaaaast! The heat race that Trey Robb won was amazing, he may have been letting off the gas a little bit on the corner entry but it sure didn't sound like it, it sounded like the centrifugal force of going around the corner was the only thing that changed the engine RPM! After that heat I couldn't get that " stand on it " song out of my head. :lol:

Have fun this weekend, I think you'll enjoy it!

We've watched a couple of ASCS shows this year in the dallas area and they were pretty good, but I'd have to say that Saturday night at Cowtown was faaaaaaaast! The heat race that Trey Robb won was amazing, he may have been letting off the gas a little bit on the corner entry but it sure didn't sound like it, it sounded like the centrifugal force of going around the corner was the only thing that changed the engine RPM! After that heat I couldn't get that " stand on it " song out of my head. :lol:

Have fun this weekend, I think you'll enjoy it!

Do you know if anyone got any speeds on them? I'm guessing about 115 to 120mph from what I've seen in the past up there. I grew up there in DFW and that track was always the fastest of all of them in that area back in the late 70's and early 80's. Believe it or not, I think the turns were higher banked at Cowtown back in the late 70's / early 80's than they are now. The winged mods with Bo, Eldon, Keith Green, Doug Ingalls, Ron Golden, Cecil Farris, Tom Lorenz and many more were wicked fast on that track back in NTRA days.

Back to the Sprints though, the fans in this neck of the woods are in for a real treat with the Sprints taking to the Texana track for the first time ever. Hope we have standing room only in the stands. Or, even spilling over to the parking lot .... :D Hope all three tracks have outstanding attendance on the Fri., Sat., Sun. tour!!!!!

Its not the first time sprint cars have been on the track. I actually hot lapped my sprinter and several other Tx. Super Sprinters back several several years ago but we were far from doing the speeds that they will be doing this weekend.

I had heard about that and some mini-sprints a few years ago. But, as I understand it, this is the first organized full size sprint car actual event in the history of the track. Stephan- How did the Tx. Super Sprinters handle on the tight turns?

Hey VL - I got a few side songs for the sprints. And, I'll try to buy that song off of itunes this week.

By the way, I've got a song stored for Lawrence that I got off itunes when he gets his next feature win in mods or limiteds......"Troubadour"

It was more like slowing the hell down before the turns if you know what I mean. It was the first time I raced at Texana even though it was an exhibition. These guys coming wont be lifting very much or they wont be winning. But for me it was like every other track. Everything was so fast you had to watch it on video in order to remember what happen, lol.

I had heard about that and some mini-sprints a few years ago. But, as I understand it, this is the first organized full size sprint car actual event in the history of the track. Stephan- How did the Tx. Super Sprinters handle on the tight turns?

Hey VL - I got a few side songs for the sprints. And, I'll try to buy that song off of itunes this week.

By the way, I've got a song stored for Lawrence that I got off itunes when he gets his next feature win in mods or limiteds......"Troubadour"

Monty thats great!

I don’t know if I have mentioned it to you or not, but that new outdoor sound system that Bruce put in this year is freakin awesome!! Its the only PA system of any track I have been to, where you can actually hear the announcer and music over the race cars in the pits and in the general admission stands, with Hifidelity to boot.

[Monty thats great!

I don't know if I have mentioned it to you or not, but that new outdoor sound system that Bruce put in this year is freakin awesome!! Its the only PA system of any track I have been to, where you can actually hear the announcer and music over the race cars in the pits and in the general admission stands, with Hifidelity to boot.

Purchased "Stand On It" last night and synced it up to the Texana ipod, but I purchased the Mel McDaniel version. Had a better beat than the Springsteen version to me. I got Troubadour also (hope to get to use that one soon, but not on the sprint cars specifically). Also, got something Lauren asked me to purchase and load called "Down with Sickness". I think that was the name of the song. That one has an awesome hard rock intro. And, I have the other sprint songs I previously placed in the sprint playlist. I've got Ironman by Ozzy, Running with the Devil by VanHalen, Dirt Track Racer by Adam Brandt, and Thunderstruck by AC/DC. Maybe a couple more, but can't remember right now.

You're right about that new outdoor sound system. That cost Bruce some bucks, but I see the worth of it each night we get to race. It is really awesome and state of the art. Very crisp, clear and does great with the music.

I just read that someone timed Trey Robb with their cell phone ( kind of like measuring with a micrometer, marking with a grease pencil, then cutting it with an axe ) so it may not be extremely accurate, but they said he was running consistent 11.20s in his heat. at 11.20 that's 5.35 laps a minute....not too bad!!!!

And his car was stuck like glue to the track, I think he hit just about every part of it at one time or another when he was lapping people.

115 to 125 at the end of the straights sounds about right, just watch your eyes and get ready to be pelted with mud if you sit in the lower half of the stands, from about the middle of the straight away to the corner cause there's gonna be a lot of it flying at you! :)

I received some calls today concerning admission prices for this weekend so thought I would clarify.

This weekend, August 30th, for the ASCS Sprint Car event with the addition of Bombers, Limiteds, and Mods the fees for this particular weekend are as follows:

General Admission: $12 for adults, $10 for senior citizens. $5 for ages 6-12

Pit Side (which provides access in pits and general admission area all night long)

ASCS card holders: $25

Bomber, Limited and Mod drivers: $40 which covers driver and car. Plus transponder rental (if first time to visit this season will also have the one time registration fee).

All others entering the pits will be: $30

Thx - Monty

Just firmed up plans to make Saturday - in this case 1 out of 3 ain't bad....Two weekends in a row I get to see sprints and add another track to my list!!!! Woo Hoo!

Headin out of San Antone around 2!!

Just want to confirm - pits open at 4???

4pm is when the pits ticket window officially opens. We'll actually have people at the track extra early if you get there early so no prob. We'll just start proccessing pit arm bands and signing up the drivers at 4pm.

We have not had any rain at the track this week. So the only water out there this particular week is what has been soaked into the track the last 2 days. Was worried about Corpus today with the showers down there, but looks like they dodged a bullet. I know the ASCS folks want to get three full nights in for the haul, so all systems looking good.

See ya Saturday

thx - Monty

4pm is when the pits ticket window officially opens. We'll actually have people at the track extra early if you get there early so no prob. We'll just start proccessing pit arm bands and signing up the drivers at 4pm.

We have not had any rain at the track this week. So the only water out there this particular week is what has been soaked into the track the last 2 days. Was worried about Corpus today with the showers down there, but looks like they dodged a bullet. I know the ASCS folks want to get three full nights in for the haul, so all systems looking good.

See ya Saturday

thx - Monty

Monty,

What would be the best way in from 10 Eastbound?

I've googled and mapquested

Right now I have:

Exit 610 at TX-123 South

Left on US-90 Alt

Right on US-183

Left at TX-111E

Left at W Morris/TX-111

Left at CR412

Says about 150 miles/2 hrs 49 minutes from west side of San Antonio (near Lackland)

There's a route that is actually quicker, based on my personal experience driving from San Antonio directly to Edna, if you don't mind using a couple of FM roads. If you're not comfortable with the FM's, then stick with the route you noted. That would be the one to use. Just follow the signing thru Yoakum as it makes a left a right and left thru downtown following 111 thru town.

However, if you are comfortable with using a couple of FM's, the following is quicker based my personal experience as it creates a more direct line from S.A. to Edna. Just be watching the siging:

From downtown S.A. - IH 10 East to

US 87 South to Cureo

At Cureo turn left where US 87 and US 183 run together

You'll be running concurrently on US 87 and US 183 for a short distnance.

Cross thru the intersection where the Mc Donald's is in Cureo and continue straight. This is where US 87 goes south to Victoria, but you'll continue straight and now you're on US 183 northbound.

Travel a short distance to the the HEB.

Turn right at the HEB on FM 1447.

Follow FM 1447 all the way over to SH 111.

The SH 111 all the way to Edna.

(If you are pulling a large trailer I would not recommend FM 1447 as it is windy and narrow, but if no trailer, no prob). Also, if you choose the quicker route, I recommend checkig out the map first for reference points along the way.

Have a safe trip which ever you choose

thx - Monty

Ok Folks, the day has arrived. Let's have a great time tonight.

As of this writing, we (track staff) will not be on txsz for the rest of today. So if you have questions and you post them here, hopefully a fellow racer or fan can answer. Otherwise, track recording will have any important information on it.

Be safe on your trips over and let's do this thing!

Archived