James Pack Cowtown Speedway Aug. 1967

edirt

That torn up winged modified looks like one of the cars Bo Rawdon used to build. Bo had that unique cantilever rear suspension, that laid the shock down parallel with the ground.

Nice guy, James was, knew his son Monte also when I hung around Cowtown in the 80's/early 90's.

I was in the pit bleachers that night too!

A friend and I were actually going down the bleachers when he come flying off turn 1 and into the wall.

Scared the crap outta us!

If I remember correctly,Pack was in the stands at Cowtown last year when a big dirt clod come up and hit him.ouch....

So glad that I stumbled accross this forum! I was at Cowtown every Sat night from 1980 till about

1994 or so.

If I remember right, a brake caliper came off of the car that was in front of James and hit his helmet right at the opening for his face shield. When this happened it knocked him out and I guess that he had his foot ddown hard on the gas resulting in hitting the wall and demolishing the car. Was just an all around freak accident.

Question about the big James Pack crash.

Did he hit a tree during that crash?

I dont remember him doing so, but in a BBQ forum that I frequent one of the guys mentioned a crash with the same circumstances as Packs, but said that car hit a tree after hitting the wall.

Now how is that for a runon sentence? :D

My parents and my very young daughter (only 3 or 4 yrs old) were there the night Pack tore up his car. He went straight for the fence right in front of them (they were sitting on the 2nd row from the bottom). :o My dad, who knows Pack very well, went down to make sure he was okay and my daughter had a cow. She still remembers that wreck and she is an adult now. WOW!!!

Needless to say, after that night, my daughter went back very few times (only wanted to go to see Danny Barr race), and she never sat that low on the bleachers again.

Archived