Hwy 16 pic

txtom

This pic is from July, 1979, and is Mike Murray from Beaumont, Texas.

I believe the owner was from Houston, and I was hoping one of the Houston gang remembers whose it was?

post-3-1216431076_thumb.jpg

Tom,

In the mid/late '70s, George High had a Camaro bodied Late Model, and I wonder if that's the same car. George seldom if ever drove, as far as I remember, and for a time he had worked with Mr Fryar and team. Just a guess, but that's the first thing that came to mind when seeing your post.

THAT'S GEORGE HIGHS CAR HE BUILT AND IT WAS WAY AHEAD OF ITS TIME. LARRY SCHILD DROVE IT AT MEYER AND WA PRETTY DOMINATE IF MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT. I BELIVE GEORGE BUILT THIS CAR AROUND 75 OR 76. YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK WITH JERRY OR LARRY OR DENNY, THEY MAY HAVE MORE INFO ON THE CAR AND TIME FRAME.

Thanks for the replies. I remember the owner was a really nice guy to talk to.

I only saw Murray drive this car at San Antonio, where the original pic is taken.

Murray ran pretty good for the few times they travelled over. If I remember correctly, the last time they brought it over, it got wadded up on a start by Tom Williams.

Racevw12, Sorry, that is the only pic I have of that car.

I talked with Mike tonight and sent the link to him. He thought that was cool someone posted a picture of him in the car.

He told me that he won the Liberty Bell in that car once and once in his own car.

Glad to hear he liked it.

Could you do me a favor and ask him a little more about the Liberty race he won in it, what year, wins at Meyer, anyplace else thay ran, etc?

I would like to add that info to the info block on my pic site for that car.

Thanks in advance,

I talked with Mike last night and he could not remember which year he won the Liberty Bell with that car. He did say that he won the Liberty Bell in 1976 and 1978 and thinks it might have been 76 in the car pictured.

He said he did not drive the car that often, but did race it in Jackson, Miss. some and ran it at the fairgrounds in Shreveport, was leading there one time and the accelerator cable broke.

Like someone else mentioned the car was ahead of it's time and Mike was telling me it had coilovers and it had a miniclutch, plus some other things. Stuff unheard of at that time.

He also mentioned that he went to school with George and is a good friend of his. He said that George was a true craftsman on the racecars. He said now days George is into Rodeo's, horses and such.

If you run across other pictures of cars he drove or have other questions, he will try and answer them.

Thanks a bunch for the info, I will add it to the site tonite.

And if any of the Houston Historians remember any other Liberty Bell winners, I'd like to start a list of them.

I know Leroy Brooks won at least one in the latter 70's, if anyone has anything to add, it will be much appreciated.

Tom

Mike Murray won the Liberty Bell race at Meyer in 1975. He did not drive the #43. He drove a silver #02 with blue numerals. The event had three 50-lap features for the Lates with two 25-lap Bronco events between the Late features.

Freddy Fryar had been winning everything in sight that year and was the favorite, but he uncharacteristically seemed to find every possible wreck that night. Murray swept all three features.

He was not sure of the years when he won the race, but he did tell me he won it once in the 43 car and once in his car, which was the 02 car.

Hehe that was 33 years ago, so I understand how dates can run into one another. I raced for a decade in FL in the 90s and many of those memories have faded into nights and lights.

The win I watched was indeed 1975 in the #02. I didn't see his other win.

Archived