Track full o' history!

uhcougs

Having just moved to the Birmingham Area I had to go check out BIR. So I loaded up and drove the 20min down 65 to get to the track, that to be honest, it wasn't until I passed the track (in not the greatest part of town) realized I had passed the track! The Alabama State Fair Grounds are well, there is a lot of talk of shutting the place down soon! BIR is like the oldest continuously operated racetrack in the US. There last race got canceled due to politics.

Anyway, I got my pit pass and headed down to the pits where there were 15 super late models, about a dozen of what they call mini-mods. To be honesty they look like bandeleros on steroids! but they have two other classes that are basically stock used cars (FWD/RWD 1 class for V4 and another for V6/V8) that is a stock car with a roll cage. A lot of the guys still had the stock steering wheels in the car! I was invited to ride in the pace car for the night, which was a unique way to see the track. Lot of good racing, very close SLM race where the top 5 were all at least 2 car lengths within each other, and at the end of the race the top 3 were all racing for the lead.

Very cool program at a very unique track!

Archived