Who, Where and When?

NickHolt

It's the B&B Racing entry....

I'll take a wild stab, since I don't think I have seen any B&B pics other than the one txtom posted a couple of weeks ago.

Clarence Lovell at TWS...72 or 73???

Billy

Is this Ed Sczech at TWS in the summer of '73? That would have been his first ride in that car, I think he finished around 20th or so after an engine problem.

In thinking back about this car of Don's, I remembered a few names that ran it at one time or another.

Jimmy Finger ran a few of Don's early Fords, Johnny Rutherford ran a couple of races about '74. Clarence Lovell ran several before his death, And Sczech ran 4 of them in '73. And I seem to remember Dick Brooks running a race in that car, and Iggy Katona ran a race at Talladega in it also. Anyone out there can remember any more names, please post them.

I think I remember ol' BP ran a couple of races for them too. That would be Buffet Benny Parsons.

And, tq, looking at the track was what made me guess TWS too. LOL!

Billy

txtom, as usual, hit it perfectly! It is indeed Ed Sczech driving the B & B Racing Chevy at the NASCAR Alamo 500 at Texas World Speedway on June 10, 1973. Ed qualified 24th, but the engine expired on the 209th lap of the 250 lap event. Richard Petty won the race while another Texas notable, H.B. Bailey finished 11th. For his efforts Ed collected $1,085.

This was Ed's first Cup run for San Antonio's Don Bierschwale, one of the original owners of Highway 16 Raceway (now San Antonio Speedway) and father of former NASCAR Cup driver Eddie Bierschwale. Sczech ran three more Cup events for Don in 1973, each ending with some sort of engine problem:

Firecracker 400 at Daytona on July 4, 1973. Ed qualified a very respectable 19th and finished 34th, completing 87 of 160 laps, dropping out due to an oil leak. David Pearson won the race and went on to become the Cup champion that year with his potent Mercury. Ed's portion of the purse was $1,280.

Dixie 500 at Atalanta on July 22, 1973. Qualified 24th, finished 28th, completed 169 of 328 laps before the engine let go. Pearson won it. Ed collected $565.

Taladega 500 at Taladega on August 12, 1973. Qualified an amazing 11th. Ran with the leaders until the oil pump let go on the 95th lap of 188 laps. Dick Brooks won. Ed had his biggest payday winning $1,340.

I love these old pics and the racing history behind them...

Nick Holt

On the Back of the above picture it lists drivers name :Ed Sczech from San Antonio Tx ,D.O.B. 02/01/1944, not married, competed in drag racing for 6 yrs and has raced late model sportsmanin NASCAR for 3 yrs and stated this was his first year racing in the Grand National dvision.It left out where and when the picture was taken any guess from guys in the know out there?

Jim,

Ed emailed me to say that the picture of him kneeling next to the #61 was taken at the August 1973 race at Talladega.

By the way, Ed is the newest member of Texas Speed Zone. Welcome Ed!

Nick Holt

• 11 years later...

The 61 was rebuilt after a wreck at Darlington. After late nights at the funeral home working on the car, I rode with Ed as he drove the hauler to College Station. After having issues getting speed out of the car, Bennie Parsons tested the car but was unable to generate better lap times. Don elected to not put a fresh motor in the car for the race. Ed was running in the top 10 after 400 miles when the engine expired. But what a fun and memorable weekend.

Archived