Our Road Trip

texana55

Well, I thought I would post a little summary of our road trip to Corpus... The Texana Bomber Cars were invited to run at Corpus for the one night show with our rules and we would be paired up with the STS Pure Stocks. Even though there was no extra purse for the Pure Stocks, five of us decided to head down for the Sunday night race as we would not have to invest in any changes to our cars for the one night. This night was the Steve Tomlinson Memorial.

Of the Texana Bombers, it was Brian King #31, Chris Shafer #77, Jacob Burnett #04, Brian McDevitt driving the #05 Jackie Burnett car, and me in the #55. They were running Modifieds and Limiteds for extra money and the Pure Stocks and Bombers for regular purse. Also there was Aaron Hudgeons in his limited (they had 31, I think and Aaron won his feature), along with Mickey Helms in his limited and full Mod.

McDevitt had run the night before also and had actually been assigned with the STS Bombers. So, on this night, he was placed with the Bombers as was Jacob Burnett. The track felt that those two cars were more closely alighed with the STS Bombers, so they made that decision. Chris Shafer, Brian King and I were all paired up with the Pure Stocks. McDevitt won his heat race with the Bombers and Burnett pulled a 2nd in another heat of Bombers.

The Pure Stocks were divided into three heats. King was in the first heat, I think. Shafer and I were in the second heat. King started second row if I remember correctly and scored 3rd in his heat. Shafer started 1st or 2nd row in our heat and I started at the tail. Shafer won our heat and I moved up to 4th.

The Bomber feature was the second feature to run. McDevitt would have been on the pole, but the field was inverted. McDevitt and Burnett each experienced a tangle, but finished the feature.

The Pure Stock Feature was the first feature out. We had 18 start the feature. The track was getting dry-slick, but we had the first run at it for the features. Shafer started outside Row 1, King started somewhere around Row 4, and I started on Row 6. Shafer went to the early lead coming to the end of Lap 1.

We experienced one early race caution for one car and the rest of the feature ran under green. I moved up through the field for a 5th place finish. King was scored 7th, and Shafer won the feature. We had a good feature race with about 17 of the 20 laps under continuous green after the early race caution. Was a lot of fun. Following the feature, the top four cars were pulled into tech. They teched Shafer under the Texana rules and the other three under STS rules. Shafer had to pull vacuum, carb was checked and valve cover was pulled. All clear.....

Shafer was awarded the feature win, and also collected the bonus $50 Fuel Assistance, for being the highest placing visiting Pure Stock for the night.

It was a late night getting home, but we sure had a fun road trip.

Congratulations to Shafer on his feature win!!! Very nice job and smooth driving. Thank you to STS for the one night invite with our rules. I understand there will be another event like this on Labor Day Sunday.

-Monty Chamberlain

way to go Chris, congrats on the win. You looked good too Monty. Brian M. would have finished much better if his steering wheel wouldnt have come off in the exit of turn two...lol I also learned that when they tech'ed the limiteds two of the top four were DQ'ed for carb spacer and gaskets being too thick, Aaron was one of them, and the 46 car was the other. Only by .137 of an inch,is what I think I heard the tech guy say...ouch, that hurts.

I left before they finished teching the limiteds. Was hoping it was all gonna be clear for Aaron....... Brian M. was looking good in the heat. Too bad on the steering wheel.

Chris really did driver a good race. I knew going in he would be for sure a top 3, but I would have had my money on him for a win from the get go. For me, I was very pleased with how our car worked for us. We needed a caution to get some distance back on the pack that was getting away (or so I think we needed a caution). Never know how those things will work out. And, I gotta thank my side-kick Lauren for keeping me awake on the drive home.

Also, I should have giving a little more recognition to Brian King. Very few times behind the wheel and he did an excellent job. Got to talk with him and his family quite a bit during the evening. Very nice young man. Congratulation on you graduation next week.

And, nice job by young Jacob Burnett. The move up in class recently from mini-stock seems to be setting well with him.

See y'all on June 7th!

Thank y'all. We're glad we made a good impression. B) We had a good time and were appreciative of all of the hospitality from everyone.

As the schedule on the web for STS stands right now, looks like they are not running on July 5th. We're running our fender classes and Classic Dwarf Cars that night.

Would be great if several of the STS cars could come run with us on that night. Maybe some of the teams can start circulating the interest now if y'all will still be off. It'll be a regular points night for our guys & gals. Would love to see us have to run a B-Main. That'd be fun.

Archived