HMP Fan turnout...

Well, this is the 4th race of the season, and the 4th race that we had a standing room only crowd. 4-5K people in the stands, man, that is an awsome site. Thank you Jetco and trucks drive america for what you have done for all of us racers. Thank you John for not turning your back on the track when it all seemed hopeless. Your time and dedication and your passion have been an inspriation to all of us. I am proud to tell my sponsors that I race at HMP and that 5000 people per night get to see there name as I pick off cars one by one on my way to the front of the field. Again. thank you for all you guys do, keep up the good work, and come up with some new ideas. I know after the races, I met lots of fans, they came over and bought shirts and hats. One couple that bought shirts said it was there first time ever to a race, and that they really enjoyed watching us. They plan on attending the races every week from now on. I did notice one problem though, and I hesitate to address it, but I will!!! I think we are going to need to turn the drag strip grandstand around to face the oval track to accomodate the fans. Maybe we could make it swivel around when we run the oval races :D:D

There is also room to build grand stands up in turn 3 and 4. We are going to need it!!!!

I had issues with a couple calls myself, but that is for a different post at a later date, or a talk with track officials. I am posting a positive post on a positive subject, please don't ruin it. Remember, everything can be fixed, regardless of what some believe. Last year, we had a problem getting 200 people in the stands. Now, we have a problem finding a place for 200 people to sit because all the seats are full.

I had issues with a couple calls myself, but that is for a different post at a later date, or a talk with track officials. I am posting a positive post on a positive subject, please don't ruin it. Remember, everything can be fixed, regardless of what some believe. Last year, we had a problem getting 200 people in the stands. Now, we have a problem finding a place for 200 people to sit because all the seats are full.

Well put Arthur, great job HMP. Don't let the negative comments ruin the wonderful transition the track has taken over the last year. All of us racers need to focus on the positive, especially with the state of racing in Texas. We appreciate your hard work and keep up the great work HMP.

Wow talk about munipulation of a post... That post doesn't have anywhere near the same meaning now...

Guess TXSZ gets to massage its topics how it see's fit...

I just find it hard to belive that Fans can be happy with what they are seeing on track, Be it bad calls, or low car count... where is the show that they are not paying for to fill the stands...

[edited out by Nick Holt, 5/4/08] hmp has done a great job at getting the fans to show up, [edited out by Nick Holt, 5/4/08]

big john

Yeah, I only edited out the bashes, Aaron and that's what was left over. But I see your point. Perhaps I should have just deleted the whole post since it would have made more editorial sense...

If you would like to discuss this edit further, please either PM me or email me.

Thanks.

Nick

Thanks for the positive comments. As for the rest, I have learned that no matter what happens, someone will try to put it down. We are going to continue to do the best job we can at making the facility racer and spectator friendly. We will make some mistakes but know that our intentions are for the best.

As for the specatator experience, I personally stand at the exit to the parking lot and thank them for coming and ask how they enjoyed the show. To date, this year, I have not had one negative comment regarding car count, calls, etc. All I hear is how much fun they had and how much their children enjoyed it. Some of it must be true because they keep coming back.

I would like to thank all the racers that continue to support HMP! You all are the GREATEST! The professionalism and courtesy you show the fans during driver introductions is the best I have ever seen and the spectators love you for it. All of you put on an awesome show. As for those racers that haven't race here this year, I invite you to come out and give it a try. Be careful though, you might just like it.

Stay tuned for some more good news! This one is going to blow the lid off!

Thank you again,

John Mandabach

John,

Take my posts negitive if you choose... Nick.. your the man with the edit power...

I just wonder why after the show that the Now THR Super stocks put on.. they can't seem to get the invite back... they have repeatedly asked for it.. to a deaf ear...

There was what 16 that showed up.. and except for the restart due to a turn 1 mishap.. a green to checker...

Just a shame.. All those people.. and they aren't getting everthing the really could...

Aaron,

I for one have also been working on it and support it. It has not gone on def ears. But remember one thing, you were one that complained about our rules not meeting yours. You were one who badmouthed the Speedfest race when we tried to make the THR Thunderstocks and HMP Pro Stocks evenly matched. All our cars added weight to accomodate the THR cars, not one showed up.

I challenge you this, I will work here to get a sponsor if you will work there to get one to help with your purse. Graham had told me that it could not be on a TSRS night because the show would go to long. Call me at 281-541-1301 and I will work on my side to help get them over here. But if you keep with your negativity, you WILL ruin for the other Super Stocks.

Pro Stocks & Thunder Stocks are no match for each other.. i think the Super stocks & Pro stocks are closer now than ever before...

Negitive is when i say HMP is a useless piece of crap... well that's rude and negitive... But I am not saying that at all...

Constructive Crit.... is what i have done... Along with Not sugar coating my statements..

HMP is busting Butt and has won on the fan's in the stands front... Where is hasn't won yet is Car's in the pits. Some say it is because the High cost classes you run, others say is culture...

My belief is you haven't found the magic solution yet...

Also... directly.. Don't tell me my actions will ruin it for the THR Drivers... cuzz if i am that important.. I don't want to be...

Aaron,

I know Graham, John and Sarah are all very receptive to suggestions and constructive observations, just as Mary Ann is at THR. In the past I have discussed issues with all of them and found them all to be excellent listeners. I bet if you get in touch with the HMP management they would be more than willing to hear what you have to say.

It's a fact is that HMP is on a roll and it's because a lot of people put a lot of hard work over the past few years that is now beginning to pay off. It's a shame that we all can't celebrate their success because ultimately their success is good for all the Texas tracks.

Nick

You know reading these posts are just to funny. It doesn't matter how hard someone works there are people who have to dig through the good to find the bad. I think the staff at HMP has done an awesome job at getting the butt count up and if you look at their guaranteed purse, not back gate percentage they have done what ever they can to get the car count up. Anyone who is not coming out to run at HMP that can is missing the boat. Like Arthur said, the stands have been standing room only and the fans that have come out because of the great people like Trucks Drive America and Jetco Deliveries are fans that alot of them didn't know we were there. I talked to groups of people who came by my pit after the races that wanted to come back.

I know the next comment because I've heard it already. The SA and Kyle guys don't want to drive out to HMP due to fuel costs. I came out for the season opener to Kyle. Cost me not only gas but $125.00 pit passes and a $50.00 entry fee. Payout $50.00. At HMP that would have been $150.00. HMP is doing everything in their power to get the car counts up and get the fan count up. We all as drivers need to support that for our sport in general. As for the Pro Stock / Thunder Stock / Super Stock, I think on a Friday Night before a race some of the above should get together at the track and run some laps against each other. Let's put down on asphalt who's faster and what modifications we need to make to keep them competitive. We need to have classes that can run more than one track in the area. I know the SA guys are doing some trips to CC but wouldn't you like to come to a great facility like HMP also?

John, do be discouraged by some of the bone headed comments here. You guys are doing a great job, the fans love it and the competitors will come.

Like MM, I would like to know what you are doing to put so many fans in the seats. I think the growing interest in racing in Houston is fantastic. Our crowds over this way have been mediocre at best. I am speaking of Mobile and Opp. Maybe in the near future SLM racing will return to the Houston racetrack.

I have a super stock . live about 45 minutes from HMP . stock uppers,spindles,no motorset back,drum brake rear,3300lbs. if Ibuilt a houston motor and ran your tire ,I think we`d be pretty close.

Exactly right. If you built a Houston Motor, or bought a crate. Other than that, we are the same. We allow a set back motor, we allow tubular uppers, but the motors are the BIG difference, and they are 1/2 second faster than we are. If and When the Super Stocks come to Houston, I will race with them with my other car. But the three classes are not comparable, they are LOCAL classes. We won't get into that as it has been hashed out in the past.

Again, great job John and HMP, I could actually here the crowd over the cars in my video.

P.S. Aaron, what I am saying is your negativity will only make HMP officials not want you here. And constructive critisism can only be given if you are here and see things for yourself, not dogging you, but you haven't been here to see the fans reations. They don't see a problem with car count, they just see good hard racing.

Alright boys, how about an unbiased opinion of the races this past weekend at HMP. I attended the races out there for the first time.

Hell of a show, even my 13 year old daughter had a good time. I was baffled by a few of the penalties putting cars to the rear, but maybe they had a better view than myself. Overall though it was one hell of a show, and a bargain at that. We'll most definately be back, and we would love to get more involved with racing at HMP.

Thanks for the great races.

the motors thr run are around 30 - hp more than hmp .I would say 250lbpenalty ,and maybe a left side penalty, say 54% for the camero`s .then it`s up to the drivers. if Huff say`s yes to a camero out there with an hmp motor and gy`s w/54%left and what i stated i have earlyer. I would be glad to come out and race with you guy`s as a test for no points this season.we could make changes acordingly. I know jack would keep it fair.

I notice the core question is still on the table: What has HMP done this year to fill the grandstands? The answer to that question affects all the others.

John Mandabach's drive and initiative, his willingness to get out there and hustle every day, his honesty in dealing with businesses and potential customers, some very wise marketing strategy and some risky, yet apparently very effective, pricing strategy have paid off big time for HMP.

Of course, John will not take all the credit because he's had lots of help and support from the rest of the HMP Management team, but don't let him fool ya. It's largely John's deal.

Nick

John has gone out to find sponsors to pay to open the grand Stands for free on a couple occasions. He has also teamed up with Fiesta to offer $5 tickets if they buy them at their stores. The Houston Chronicle is our media partner, and the track gets advertising at a slight discount. And they use it, advertising every week. We have been doing car shows and giving away free tickets.

Now, here is the kicker. How do you get the fans to come back. I have seen the same kids come running to me and saying hi, remember me, for the last 3 races. At intermission, we park all the cars on the front straight and let all the fans come meet the drivers. That has been awsome. I didn't know how awsome it was until I saw the pics that Sarah posted. From the time the gate opens to the time the force everyone back into the stands, I have not stopped signing autographs. So I don't get to see what everyone else is doing. I give away about $25-50 worth of autograph cards each week. It is a team effort with John and the racers, Mostly John though, that gets these fans here. You should see the e-mails and myspace messages I have gotten from the fans, it is awsome. I know there is a lot more that John is doing, but that is what I see from my perspective. You have to think outside the box. Last race with the monster trucks, it was not free, it was $20, or $10 from Fiesta, and we filled the stands. You got to come up with some Different ideas. You are competing with entertainment complexes near you, movies, ball games, theme parks, ect. Youu got to make it so they would rather come watch the race than something else. I think we are on a roll and I got some ideas I wanna run with, just got to get with John to OK it.

Archived