Watered Out for April 26

TRP

We have to cancel for tonight (April 26). There is too much water and not enough drying time for tonight. The storm in Edna hit at 3am and it rained until 6am, with another round at 8am. If we had some more drying hours it would help....

We plan to reschedule this event, so watch this site and Texanaracewaypark.org for info. We plan to make a decision on the reschedule date by Monday or Tuesday.

Sorry for the bad news.

I was out at the track on Friday afternoon while some new sound equipment for the music was being installed and crews were preparing the racing surface. It was looking very nice for tonight. The track would have been fast tonight, but with the onslaught of water in the wee hours of this morning, fans and crews would have had to park down the county road and on down SH 111 with the way water was standing in both the general admin and pit parking areas today. If that rain would have come in about 8 to 12 hours earlier, it would have been just about perfect.

Where did all of that rain come from anyway? I followed the forecast all week and the greatest threat was for Sunday. I heard the thunder and saw the lightning at my house about 2 am and got a sick feeling in my stomach. Then, when I heard the first rain drops hitting the metal roof, I knew for sure it wouldn't be good. But, holding out hope I thought it would pass, and then it kept raining and kept raining and then when the sun started rising this morning and it was still raining I started being a realist.

I thought I was really smart loading up on Friday night to have my Saturday free to do what I wanted before heading to the track. Now, it's really free :(

I understand we may be posting the date for the reschedule before Monday, and it will probably be rescheduled very soon as we don't want to push it out very far given the chance for this to happen again down the road, and then risk having a bunch of stacked up rain dates like we did last year.

I understand also that May 3rd happens to work well for a lot of the racers at the plants on shift work with the same pattern. I've searched across the web and cannot find any big races around that it would interfere with if we go ahead and use May 3rd as a rain make up for April 26th. USMTS is in Oklahoma on Friday and Kennedale on Saturday, so that's far enough away that we shouldn't have an impact on that show.

We want to avoid stacking rain dates up. We are leaning very heavily to May 3rd as the make-up for last night. Bruce and I plan to talk tonight and will make an official announcement tonight or Monday. Once a decision is announced, I'll post it here, other forums, the Texana website, and I'll get with Chelle to provide an email direct to the drivers in her database.

By the way Mike. Congrats on your race in Beaumont on Friday!

Personally that is to short notice for us...we have made commitments and a week out is to short to cancel...which is why we made the suggestion last year for you guys to add make up dates in the schedule before it was posted.

Understand.... I'm afraid that whatever decision we execute on the make-up, it will impact someone.

Good point on the tentative make up dates. I afraid I dropped the ball on that suggestion last winter, so that's on me. I will bring it up to Bruce and see if we can pencil a couple of dates that can be published as place holders for the remainder of the season. Plus, if it is like most other things in life, if we do that we won't have another rain-out the rest of the season. Oh, wait a minute, I need to get back to being a realist.

-Monty

Archived