Texana Young Guns Kick Up a Little Dirt on Saturday Nights

NickHolt

For Immediate Release

Texana Raceway Park

Edna, TX (April 19, 2008) - While most teenagers are headed to the movies, the mall or other venues on a Saturday night, a select group of teenagers are sharpening their driving skills and competing in America’s fastest sport at Texana Raceway Park in Edna.

Texana Raceway Park is a 5/16 mile dirt oval located in Edna with regular season racing on Saturday nights from April – September and post-season special events in October and November. The track averages just over 100 competitors per event, and last weekend 16 of those competitors were in the 4 cylinder mini-stock division consisting strictly of teenagers. It’s anticipated that this season Texana Raceway Park will see fields of 20 cars in the teen division during the season.

The teen mini-stock division consists of competitors ranging in age from 13-16. The cars must comply with a standard set of rules intended to keep the cars equal in competition and safe for the competitors. Cars are built with roll cages, racing seats and require racing belts, among other safety features. The division offers an entry level for drivers to get their feet wet in racing and sharpen their skills. It seems to be a great opportunity for parents working with the teens as they prepare the cars and compete at the raceway.

The teenagers are a real crowd pleaser at the raceway and most people are surprised to see the skills the teens possess and how mature they are behind the wheel of their race car. Equally impressive is the number of female competitors in the group. Approximately 50% of the competitors are female!

According to driver Lauren Chamberlain, who attends Louise Junior High and races a Mustang, “The kids I go two school with were surprised to learn I drive a race car. They were like, no way you’re too young to do that. Then they see pictures of my car or they come to the track and say wow, that’s awesome”.

As with any competitive event, everyone wants to win, but each night only one driver passes the finish line first. While not everyone can win, every driver is this years field is a definite contender with a chance to win on any given night. Their also participating in a great activity on a Saturday night. Each driver has their personal goals, whether it be to win, sharpen their driving skills, or simply come away from the night with no repairs needed on their ride. First year driver Chase Sanchez, who races a mini-truck stated “I want to make my truck go fast and get better as a driver during the year”.

The teenagers will be in competition during most of the Scheduled events this season. You can view an entire schedule at wwww.texanaracewaypark.org and pick a weekend to come out and see the teenagers kick up a dirt on Saturday nights.

post-3-1208677132_thumb.jpg

“Texana Young Guns”

Top Row Left to Right: Jacob Burnett; Victoria, Zachary Tesch; Columbus, Chase Sanchez; Louise, Dakota Taylor; Louise, Sarah Konvicka; Goliad, Haley Jansky; Louise, Lauren Chamberlain; Louise, Alexis Louden; Shiner,

Bottom Row Left to Right: Jason, Bloom; Blessing, Garett Hayes; Victoria, Ashley Perks; El Campo; Patricia Lucas; Red Rock; Zachary Bennett; Bastrop

Other competitors not in photo: Paige Wenske, Chris Jewell Jr., and Krystal Lindsey

Very nice write-up Monty, We would have had Krystal in there but couldnt hear that part of the drivers meeting because some bonehead was running his racecar during the meeting...lol Sorry!...new rule anyone running a racecar during the drivers meeting starts scratch...lol....just kidding

Archived