ASA LATE MODELS

KC11

gasman ... It did seem a little odd that the ASA website didn't mention anything about an initiative to enter the Texas LM market. Glad you made that call to Ross Wellman at ASA.

KC11...

We are currenly seeking interested teams for a 12+ race schedule in 2004. We are planning to run a touring series SAS, Kyle, Houston, OK., ect. We have already started talking with tracks and have had good success.

What tracks did you say you had "good success" with??

Nick Holt

I keep hearing about how cheap crate engines are in ASA .The several people that I know that run ASA tells me that it's take's a million dollars a year to run a front running car, So if the crate motors are cheap way to run where are they spending the money ,probally in the same places that you spend money on your car now you can change rules all you want but it's just not engines that are expensive it is the whole sport. What im getting at is that racing SLM's is expensive why not run what you have and promote the series where you can get more exposure which will bring more sponsers for the racers and the series.

I agree with 97car and dont like the ABC body issue either. These are super latemodels, not ASA or Nextel Cup cars. There is nothing better than the way a true southern superlatemodel looks. Cars like the one Cywinski drove at the snowball, Ricky Turner's, the Richie Wauters car, JR Norris and several of the Romco regulars is what a super latemodel is suppose to look like. Who cares if they dont look like a street monte carlo. There race cars. Even Cup cars dont look near as good as SLM's. To me, ASA cars dont even look that good. Throw that ABC body deal out the window and let them stay looking like SLM's.

I've got to agree w/HoosierDaddy. A well put together ROMCO car looks better than a Cup car and MUCH better than an ASA car. I remember the first time I saw a ROMCO car running test laps at THR - it was Bubba Naumann, and I was hooked on watching those cars from that point on. I've also seen a couple of Cup cars go around that track during exhibition runs. The ROMCO cars just look at home on our short tracks.

cs

About the ABC body issue:

Look all around the world, starting with Nextel Cup, and you will find the most successful racing series are either cars with which the fans can identify, or they are pure racing cars.

In other words, a "stock" NASCAR car, or a Formula 1 or Indy-type car. In most countries, the touring car series are huge, because the cars look like the cars the fans drove to the track. (Most of them are actually based on production cars.) The SCCA's Trans-Am series is down the tubes because nobody knows which car is which, and they are in the process of fixing that.

NASCAR may be making a big mistake by going to a common template. Fans need to be able to identify with the cars; at the rate they're going, they won't even be able to identify the cars. (It's hard enough, now.)

Meanwhile, do we want to keep turning SLMs into doorstops? Give it some thought.

Archived