At the Track

TRP

We are inching towards opening night nearing the 30 day countdown, with two practice sessions before hand!

If you were in the 2006 or 2007 database, you should have received a letter and 2008 driver registration form. I did receive some back, due to no forwarding address, etc. If you didn't receive a 2008 driver registration form, you can download one from the front page of www.texanaracewaypark.org

We'll be doing at least one more press release before opening night, but I thought I would start this thread to keep you posted on what is happening at the track as the days count down. Also, if you have a specific question that needs answered, you can post it to this thread and I'll work to get you information.

I mentioned some of these in the letter, but here are some things going on at the track:

*The new announcer / scorekeeper's booth was being set in place last week. It was manufactured off site and transported to the track. That will be a nice set up for the score keepers, track announcer and media.

*Additional and enhanced lighting is being put in place for the track racing area. Additional poles were added last week and more to be added to the back stretch next week or as soon as it dries a bit.

*The pit grandstands are being rebuilt / modified.

*Pit parking is being expanded. With the purchase of the adjacent property, it allows the pit parking basically to be enlarged toward the main entrance road. This will provide for easier parking throughout the pits and provide for more space for the larger haulers turning radius, etc.

*I have prepard about 180 minutes of a variety of music for the general admission area to be used before the races and during dead-time at intermission. I've also got a theme song for each class to kick off their feature when they enter the track. I tried to select a song that the fans can begin identifying with a particular class. Some of them are an obvious connection to a particular class and some just sound good. Let's just hope it comes of as well as I'm envisioning

*We will be planning for an opening night salute to the fans with a parade lap for all drivers, led by Atzenhoffer Chevrolet as our Grand Marshall. I have select music for that too.

Again, I'll use this thread to provide any additional pertinent information and if you have questions, post them here. And now, let's get ready to ruuuummmmble!

-Monty

Couple more thoughts:

*The first of three scheduled demo derby's will be early in the season. We placed three on the schedule by request from the demo drivers and given the good turn out for the demo cars last year. As a matter of fact, the first demo-derby is on our 2nd night of points racing (April 12th). Just a reminder. So if you're geting one ready or know of someone getting one ready, it will be here quickly.

*Spectator races will be May 10th. This was a huge hit with the fans last year so we brought it back. Looked to me like several folks were interested in doing this, but hesitant to get their ride out there. But then some folks regreted not getting in the event when they saw how it worked and how much fun it was. So, help us spread the word it is May 10th! This is a real fan pleaser and can get pretty exciting if enough participate. Remember vehicle must be four or more wheels and currently registered and inspected.

*Something very important that I forgot to mention. We have a track photographer ready for capturing the events this year, and a videographer. Each of these folks will have their products for sale throughout the season, and I think you'll be impressed with each.

More as I think of it.

-Monty

• 2 weeks later...

Practice #1 is this Saturday (March 8th). Gates will open at 4pm and practice starts at 6pm. Practice will run up til midnight if needed. Mild temperatures in the forecast to crank those motors up a bit. Any questions, post them here.

See ya at the track.

-Monty

With the new lights going on the track, I sure wish I could take some pictures there. The lights you had last year weren't bad at all. I can only imagine what it will look like now. WTG Texana Raceway Park, looks like you guys have a great ownership going down there.

Jamie- We're pretty excited about everything going on at the track. The old place continues to get new and different upgrades each year and has really evolved into a premier facility. You really did some nice work out there with your photos. I hope folks take some time to look at your website.

I personally haven't been to the track in few weeks, but Bruce and his crew have been kicking it, working at the track for the past few weeks. I'm excited to get out there Saturday for practice and see everything (at least be there for Lauren to practice). I suspect we'll have work continuing beyond this weekend up to the season kick-off.

I understand Chelle received near 40 advance registrations and historically we really never get any in advance.

With the purse increase in several classes, we're pretty excited about the potential for this year. Hoping the purse increases will help ease some of the sting of the increasing fuel prices. With the $800 to win in mods, we are hearing from some serious competition that will be heading to Texana. Shaping up to be a great year.

-Monty

Monty,

What's the recommended final drive ratio for Mods?

(Hope to make a trip your way, if not in late March, almost a certainity in April.)

Sorry it took me a while to get back on here...

From the ones I've talked with, 5.80 to 6.00. Need a pretty stout motor for 6.00, and if you have a real horse, you might could go a little above the 6.00 to a 6.20, but you're gonna be turning the motor pretty good. I don't run the mods myself, but very reliable and trustworthy source gave me the info. I'm providing.

thx - Monty

We had a great first practice on March 8th! With the number of hours available, there were some who came in early and left early, some who came in late and left late, and some who stayed the entire time. Historically, the 2nd practice brings even more cars before the season opener on March 29th. I don't have the exact #, but close to 45 cars last night.

The mini-stock division has several new faces. I counted six of the teenage drivers and their cars at practice over the course of the night.

Several new bombers and some with new skins. I didn't have the stopwatch on them, but most of them were flat out flying. We clocked Lauren in the mini and her fastest lap was 24.50, and we also had the mini down to 22 seconds blowing some of the carbon out of it. We also had a least six trucks, some superstocks, several limited mods, mods, one crate late model, and classic dwarf cars.

A nice cool night which seemed to really agree with the motors.

Brenda Dancer with Dancer Motorsports Photos will be the track photographer this year and she was on hand taking pictures in the pits and on the track. Keep an eye out for her work. You'll be able to order some great photos. She'll have a table set up in the general admission area. We also have Patrick Freeman as the track videographer, but I didn't see him last night.

Bruce called a drivers meeting at mid-point in the evening. He offered a dash for cash for each of the classes. It was $10 multiplied by the number of cars taking to the track for their class with the winner taking all in each class. I didn't catch all of the classes and how many competed, but I did catch that three mini's took the offer, with Lauren Chamberlain winning and collecting $30. Way to go girl... Aaron Hudgeons competed with six other limiteds and came out victorious. G.W. Hessong was the winner in the super stocks. I lost track on the other classes.

In summary, a great practice previewing what looks to be a great season. Looking forward to the second practice on March 15th and counting down to the season opener on March 29th. See you there!

-Monty

Putting this one up under my personal sign-on to be a proud poppa. I was very impressed with how Lauren utilized this practice opportunity. We talked about it ahead of time and she did exactly as she planned. Went out, got her feel for the car after more than five months out of the drivers seat, and did everything exactly as planned. She's very intelligent (gets that from her mom), and is able to transfer that to how she approaches her racing. Also very proud of her as she goes about personally rounding up her sponsors for this year. Lauren asked me to drive her car also (which I couldn't say no), so she could see how much it had in it. That seemed to help and when she came out for the dash for cash she laid some good solid laps down with smooth driving. We hope to be enjoying this sport together for many years ahead. What I appreciate about her and her racing is she demonstrates great sportsmanship, respects other drivers, and wants everyone to do well. Using this approach, she should have a bright future ahead of her. Yep, I'm proud......... By the way if you want to talk to her about sponsorship opportunities, she'll be happy to discuss how she can help you market your business :D

We sure had fun out there. Loved the inside of the announcers booth. The track was very smooth. Nice job on the track prep. By the way my son is on the wrecker truck crew this year, so be nice to him too. He's another good kid (and he gets that from his mom also).

Gary - We missed you. When are you headed over?

Brenda - Nice pics! Gonna be a great year!

Practice Nights are now behind us and the two week countdown to opening night has begun. There is a lot of excitement in the air as everyone sets their sights on the 2008 season. The second practice night was equally as impressive as the first night. I don't have the official number but counted about 50 cars out at the track for the night.

In mini-stocks, we already have 14 cars registered before opening night even starts. That is really unheard of for the teen class. There are at least a few more that didn't quite make it to practice and have yet to register. This year should be the largest number of participants for this class in the history of the track. Every single one of the teenagers were absolutely impressive with their driving skills and getting their cars dialed in, last night. This should be a very fun class for the fans and the drivers. I can't over emphasize how impressive they were. We've got a great bunch of kids competing with some good heads on their shoulders. Way to go mini's!

The truck class looks to be experiencing a surge in growth. The trucks are a real fan pleaser when they have a good truck count and this year looks to be really promising. Could be seeing somewhere etween 12 to 15 trucks.

The classic dwarf cars will have another impressive car count, and looks like they will will be carrying in somewhere between 20-25 cars each night. Pretty cool to see several of the dwarf car drivers also doing double duty in mods.

The late model stocks / super stocks looked really quick and we're really excited about opening night with them.

The bombers as always will be very competitive and the practice sessions really demonstrated some quick cars that will be on hand.

The really big news on the street is the increased pay outs for several of the classes. Most notable is the payout in limited modifieds and modifieds. Limiteds will be $600 to win each event, and modifieds will be $800 to win each event. Those payout are all the buzz and it looks like it will be producing some serious competition with some notable names. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a track in Texas paying that much routinely, outside of a special event. 2007 was proof positive that anyone can win on any given night as we never had a repeat winner in mods the entire season.

The show should be awesome in 2008! As of this writing, just two weeks to go.

Archived