Go-Karts

Some quick background: I run karts, build honda race motors and have a pretty good knowledge about the motors you're describing in the rules.

I was reading in the second set of rules about a restrictor plate for the younger group. I will give you this bit of advice (take it or not). There is not a real "great" way to slow down these motors without making them run AWFUL. But one of the best ways to keep the power out of the top end and slow the kart down is the exhuast. If you allow a tubular header, weld a restrictive washer to the end of the pipe. 1" pipe? Weld a washer on the end with a 5/8" center hole. This way one kart could potentally run two age groups with the simple swap of a header (2 bolts). It really makes that big of a difference (in our testing anyways). You can play with restricting the carb all day, but its easily cheated. With the pipe, its easily identifyable and just takes a simple walk around before the race to make sure everyone is within the rules.

Our experience with the harbour freight motors has been a mixed one. COMPLETELY STOCK, they seem to do ok. If they have the oil alert systems in them, they need to be disabled. While in a turn, the oil can sling away from the level sensor and cause running problems. It can be removed when the governor is pulled. When ya'll have the motor apart to remove the governor, check a few things. Make sure the rods are properly torqued to 10 ft/lbs, make sure the cam dot aligns properly with the crank, and double check the valve lash. The cranks seem to be the inconsitant part of the "changlinese" motors. We've had some do some pretty cool things while bouncing around in the motor. But, at $129 bucks, you can't expect true honda quality.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire..really I don't have anything to do with the series, I just love to see kids jumping into racing. I hope some of this information can help in some way.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where racing is not new to us, this kart series is. It seems pretty simple, Owen has attempted to keep things as cost efficient, if that term is even usable with racing, as possible so that there can possibly be some growth in this class and we can all see some kids come up doing something they love to do.

JMO, the continuous bickering about where the kids can run or can't run sure makes it look like that the concern lays more with competition than simply getting these kids up and going. It's been said before, lots of people look at these forums, and the upset between everyone sure makes the kart series look bad already, not to mention, these kids could be looking for sponsors too. A sponsor may not want to get in the middle of someone's whining about whose karts are better. It is suppose to be for the kids.........remember?

Good luck to all involved, especially the kids...................

Archived