2008 Pure Stock Rules

SassyCassie14

2008 Pure Stock Rules

The Pure Stock Class has been created as an economical, entry level racing class. Its purpose and intent is to keep race vehicles in original, stock condition with required safety equipment installed, to allow anyone the ability and opportunity to build and maintain a racecar, to develop driver skills and experience at an affordable level. No driver participating in classes above pure stock will be allowed to drive in the pure stock class, no exceptions. No driver will be allowed to move back down to pure stock once he/she has moved up in car class except under certain circumstances and only after approval by I – 37 Raceway Board of Directors on a case by case review. Minimum age requirement for pure stocks is 14 years of age.

NOTE: If at any time during the season it is determined that any rule creates an unfair advantage, the I – 37 Raceway Board of Directors will hold a meeting with pure stock drivers to re-consider that rule.

1. Car Body and Frame

1.1: Any stock, production American-made vehicle allowed except Camaro’s, Firebirds, Mustang’s, or high performance production cars. Pick-ups, El Camino’s and Ranchero’s will be allowed.

1.2: Frame must match body. Body must remain in stock appearance.

1.4: Race ready minimum weight is 3400 lbs. with driver. Added weight must be painted white with car number in black.

1.5: Minimum wheel base 108 inches.

1.6: Frames or uni-body may be X-braced for safety.

1.7: Doors may be cut out for roll cage clearance.

1.8: Original stock bumpers are required with straps to prevent hooking.

1.9: Original firewall in original stock position.

2. Chassis and Suspension

2.1: 4 point roll cage with 3 driver side bars and 2 passenger side bars required above frame.

2.2: Roll cage made of 1 ½ inch tubing with .095 wall thickness.

2.3: Driver side door plate mandatory. 1/8 inch minimum thickness.

2.4: Suspension must remain absolutely stock for make and model.

Any bushing may be used on the front control arms.

2.5: No weight jacks. Spring spacers will be allowed and must be the same height left to right.

2.6: Racing springs will be allowed, springs must be the same height left to right.

2.7: Stock OEM shocks only. No rebuild able shocks allowed. Shock may be claimed for $25 each

2.8: All four (4) brakes must be stock and in working condition.

2.9: Quick steering is allowed.

2.10: Rub rails ok – Panel rails not allowed.

3. Engine

3.1: Engine must be stock for type and year of vehicle used. GM in GM, Chrysler in Chrysler, Ford in Ford, etc….

3.1a: Engine must remain in stock position.

3.2: All major components must remain stock for type and year of engine.

3.3: Engine – 360 cubic inch maximum.

3.4: Heads must be stock OEM specifications for year, make and model.

No less then 68cc.

3.4a: No porting or polishing. No gasket matching.

3.4b: No angle milling.

3.4c: No aluminum heads.

3.4d: No closed chamber heads.

3.5: Pistons must be stock with no decking of block allowed.

3.5a: OEM piston rings only (5/64).

3.5b: No late model small rings (Vortec).

3.6: Stock OEM intake manifold only.

3.6a: No aluminum intakes allowed.

3.6b: No porting, polishing, or altering in anyway.

3.6c: No high performance or marine intake manifolds.

3.7: Carburetor must be stock 2 barrel of the same type and year engine was originally equipped or Holley 4412 (a true holley 4412). No q-jets allowed.

3.8: Stock cam for type and year of engine.

3.8a: Engine must pull 15 inches of vacuum @1000 rpm. NO EXCEPTIONS.

3.8b: Hydraulic lift only. No solid lift cams allowed.

3.9: Exhaust manifold must extend 6 inches behind driver.

3.9a: No exhaust flow devices allowed such as cross piece of H- pipes.

3.9b: No high performance exhaust manifold of any type allowed.

3.9c: No Ram Horn exhaust manifold.

3.10: Stock or aluminum radiator allowed.

3.11: No antifreeze allowed.

4. Transmission and Rear End

4.1: Stock automatic with stock torque converter. Stock standard transmission will be allowed at this time with Blow Proof Bell Housing.

4.2: Stock rear end.

4.3: Posi-trac or lock rear ends allowed.

4.4: Painted drive shaft required (white) with car number in black.

4.5: Drive shaft loops required.

4.6: No offset bushings allowed.

4.7 10.5 “clutch with steel presser plate.

5. Wheels and Tires

5.1: Steel wheels only with maximum width of 8 inches and a maximum height of 15 inches.

5.2: Wheels may have any offset.

5.3:

5.4: After market wheels are allowed but no lighter than 19 lbs. No lightweight wheels allowed.

5.5: Maximum tire width allowed is 8 inches.

5.6: Hoosier G60 IMCA or American Racer 15KK704 // 15KK704-short tires only.

5.7: No grooving on tires allowed.

5.8: Any Spacers allowed.

5.9: 5/8 inch studs required on all wheels.

6. General

6.1: Aluminum Racing Seats are required.

6.2: Seat belt and shoulder harness are MANDATORY and must be equipped with a single latch, aircraft type release. 5 point harness highly recommended.

6.3: Battery box is mandatory.

6.4: Fuel cell mandatory. Fuel cell must be mounted in trunk and contained in metal can.

Flapper valve recommended (2009 mandatory)

6.5: Vehicle must be equipped with a fully charged, dry-chemical fire extinguisher with gauge and be securely fastened and within easy access of race ready driver.

6.6: Emergency kill switch must be easily accessible inside driver compartment.

On the ground side.

"This class is designed for beginners and not for experienced drivers. Depending upon how many years you have competed in this class and how well you have placed, you may be asked to move up to another class. No driver participating in classes above pure stock will be allowed to drive in the pure stock class, no exceptions. No driver will be allowed to move back down to pure stock once he/she has moved up in car class except under certain circumstances."

Sorry but this is a very stupid rule. Costs of racing keeps climbing higher and higher. There are good drivers that cant afford to run Street Stock and therefore you are telling them they are not wanted because they may have success at your track? Having good drivers in pure stock isnt a bad thing. The pure stock class ihas been very competitive and has several drivers that based on your rules could be asked to move up at any point during the season? No pure stock will compete against a true street stock car nor should they be asked to spend more money then they want to in order to race. Car count and inforcing the rules should be your top priorities not turning drivers away.

Turning away cars and drivers should not even be a track decision unless they are caught cheating. This stupid rule needs to be rethought and revised. Last point is other tracks in the area do have very good drivers in the pure stock classes. Are you going to tell them to not come back if they show up and win? My suggestion is this, continue starting the high average point cars in the back and low point average cars up front so they feel that they can compete against the better drivers.

Please remember that this is a RACETRACK and hard work = success. No driver should be pentalized for doing well, ever! Thats why we are racing....

cassie. seeing that the streets are much lighter and pures are heavier and running the same tire, why not allow pures to run a bead lock on right rear as well, heavier the car more potential for tire breaking from seal, ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Cassie isnt the one who wrote the rules.

I'll try to get an answer from Eric, I know he consulted Chris and Gary.

cassie. seeing that the streets are much lighter and pures are heavier and running the same tire, why not allow pures to run a bead lock on right rear as well, heavier the car more potential for tire breaking from seal, ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Cassie isnt the one who wrote the rules.

I'll try to get an answer from Eric, I know he consulted Chris and Gary.

Answer I got is cost.

COST.......... then staY WITH THE ORIGINAL 2 BRL, AND NO 450 DOLLAR 4412, THATS NOT PURE, if you want pure then everything is pure not just here and there, one bead lock when you spend 450 dollars or more for a 4412. dont make sence.and yes I agree, dont matter how good you are, its what you can afford, BUT....... if you can afford to whoop everyones a$$ every week then you have the funds to move up a class.

Again, I'll get your questions answered. I'm being told that pures are for guys who don't have alot of experience. They want to keep it a class where it is a low cost class yes, but also a low experience class.

I do not have a dog in this hunt. But I think this rule is bad for this track. In the Dallas/Fort Worth area

it mite work but down here with a lot fewer racers it is a killer.

Harlin Covert #60 Super/Stock I37

I totally agree about the class keeping its costs down. I thankyou for keeping that in mind and a priority! I still feel that a pure stock driver only able to run pure stock and not being able to run a different class simply isnt fair for the driver nor is it profitable to the track. We learned to like street stock, super stock, and hobby stock type classes because we were not punished when we drove another guys upper class car. Over many years we have built and kept several cars that are street stock type cars. We cant afford to race our street stock cars each week, its expensive. We can however afford a pure stock each week and thats why we have one but us losing our pure stock eligibility because we race a street stock once in awhile isnt attractive at all. Espicially since we are going to race it like it or not at other tracks if I 37 isnt an option. We are wanting to give you our money but being turn away in this case. Please dont take my comments negatively because we are wanting to work out a way to race at i37. We have several cars and are willing to change them per your rulebook and race legally. We are not asking for anything special except to be treated like everyone else and that to us is a level playing field.

At the drivers meeting a true bomber class was brought up. This is the type of class that should not have experienced drivers in it. This class would give the rookie type driver a real chance to hone his drivers skills, learn to drive and have fun. Thankyou for being open minded about rules and questions. We understand that you have a tough job and have alot to do. In our opinion we fell i 37 needs to make decisions that would create the biggest car counts possible, the best competition possible but for sure not regulate the car counts in any way. Thanks again for listening...

Cassie will have to correct me on which order this was, but in the past years if you raced they would not allow the same drive to race either above a class or below a class. Again thanks for understanding that we ARE trying to keep the drivers interest at heart. Please also keep in mind that we are fixing to be on day 14 and there are things happening behind the scenes that will come out as they are secured. We understand you have a choice as to where you spend your money and time, thanks for considering making your home track I-37 Raceway!

Mark

LETS BE THANKFULL!!we can race close to home! it was 2 to 3 months ago we did not think we would be able too..new owners should not have to catch all the B.S. being thrown at them..they are new... much new staff... many that knew nothing about racing..its early in the year.. build it to there rules.. the changes most are crying about are in the pure stocks.. its easy to upgrade if that happens... they want pures to be simply...its more expensive to go all out now then to add as the season goes on..if we can work together they may have a chance, but if we burn them out before we start, why even try?? i have much respect for the guys and gals that support what we love... but lets give these folks a fair shot...if i had spent my hard earned dollars to keep it going, and saw all this,i would close before i ever opened...DANIALSON MOTORSPORTS, i see you are unhappy,but you like i know the lack of money made at this game!!lets make it easier on these folks,, they deserve a fair shot..LET WORK TOGETHER FOR POSSITIVE!..with respect to all!!// frank torres

I definitely don't have a dog in this fight, beings I'm just a photographer, but I think all questioning of any rules shouldn't be so public. Keep them to PM's and phone calls as there may be possible sponors watching these boards. Keep the questioning of authority to a minimum.

Here is something to keep in mind.

Article by: Dick Berggren

Speedway Illustrated February 2006

The Inside Groove

DO YOUR PART

The most important job of every local racer is to keep the local track open.

"In the `50s and `60s, traffic often backed up for miles as fans headed for the Saturday night races at the quarter-mile Pines Speedway near where I live. As time went on, for many reasons the crowd became smaller; and as they did, the track fell into disrepair. It closed over 20 years ago. More people showed up on the property for a recent reunion than attended some of the final races at the at Pines.

People who packed the stands during the glory days would never imagine what has happened to the place. If they could talk to some of today's track operators, they'd understand how difficult keeping a short track alive has become and how treacherous an enterprise operating a speedway can be.

In the `50s and `60s, a guy could earn a living racing three or four nights a week, even after paying all of the expenses of his race operation with nothing but prize money. Sponsors or personal wealth keep today's racers financially fit, because it costs more to race than a guy (or gal) can win.

Plenty is being done to cut racers` costs. But not much is happening to benefit track operators, who are struggling to break even by running weekly or lower-level tour events.

These are the hardest of times for many short track operators. In today's America, local speedways compete with so much other entertainment, putting butts on the boards is more challenging than ever before.

In California, Cajon Speedway didn't open for racing in `05. Mesa Marin, Watsonville, and Kings Speedways closed, potentially for good, at the end of the `05 season. In Pennsylvania, the once-strong Big Diamond Speedway cancelled its year-end super show, and track operators announced that they were throwing in the towel. In New York, Chemung and Shangri-La concluded operations. In Nebraska, the owner/operator of Eagle Raceway decided not to continue. Florida's Hialeah Speedway closed in August after 51 years.

Track operators all over America have told me how tough it is out there.

To fix a problem, it's first necessary to realize there is a problem. Houston, we have a problem.

The biggest issue local-level racers face today is not the high costs of engines, gear rules, or their tire bill. It's that the track where they (you?) race may not be around much longer. The brutal reality is that your local race track just might become a shopping mall or a condo complex. It could happen in 2006.

I'm not ready to give up on track operators, even though they have for decades been their own worst enemies. I explain to them that the current fad of building the back gate while ignoring the show produces an inevitable and well-documented downward economic spiral. In speeches at track operator conventions, in one-on-one conversations, and in these pages, I've complained to them about draggy shows, too many classes, announcers who didn't know what was going on, inaudible PA systems, and the rest of what needs to be fixed.

I'm doing my best, but I need your help.

Most important, if you're a racer, air your track's dirty laundry in private. An especially sore point are website postings that attack local tracks. Irwindale, California track manager Bob DeFazio has told his competitors that ugly postings can cost them sponsors. Eagle Raceway's promoter wrote that ugly website postings contributed to his track's demise.

It's winter: car-show time. When your track needs cars for a show, do your part. Help promote your speedway.

It'll be tempting to draw a yellow when you want one next summer, but given fans` lack of tolerance for delays, it's better to sacrifice your night for the greater good..

When they call your division to line up, roll that machine, because the fans won't tolerate delay.

Understand this: The special interest of any individual competitor are less important than the fans sitting in the stands. The fans are more important than you, because without them the party ends. The party can go on without even the track's champion.

I know most of, if not all of us, have read this article but he does have some valid points. This especially holds true with a new ownership. Let's give them a chance to do it their way.

IF Owen has a say and operation intrest in 37 LET THE RULES BE THE SAME IN ALL CLASSES AS STS . [edited out by Nick Holt, 1/26/08] ... TO DRAW MORE CARS.....AND YES THE LAST POINT IS IN CAPS TO MAKE A STATEMENT.

Michael,

My comment at 2AM was to woodwayracing. I was getting the basic idea, but my mind was saying sleep. I'll PM you with my number or viseversa. Lets talk. It guys like you and frank as well as all the others we want racing. we just need to straighten(fill in) out a few potholes. Work with us on getting you the answers...

Thanks Evryone!

Mark

My comments were clearly for the good of the track. I have already stated we will do what we have to on car rules, I am fine with that. My only issues were telling who could and who couldnt race certain classes. I felt that all you are doing is chasing drivers off that want to support them. That makes no since because every available car and driver needs to be there on opening night. Frank, because I brought up those "stupid" rules they revised them to allow several drivers including you and your boys to drive pure stocks if they desire too. If people want to look at me as the bad guy because I question things that make no since so be it. I have pmed Kiss man information that he can use towards getting big sponsors from the corporate world from my own experiences. If my words are not candy coated then please take this as an apology. Deep down everyone wants this place to rock and kick butt each week and believe it or not I am one of them. As far as I am concerned the rule was revised a couple days later when they discovered it effected so many. My hats off to the track mngment for keeping an open mind and making a neccessary change. Keep up the good work and going in the right direction.

Archived