offset or perimeter

97car

:) I got a question,I would like to see the tracks work together for everyones benefit,if SAS does change their rules to allow TSRS cars to run with them,will they have to be perimeter chassis,or can they run like they are? When SAS went NASCAR everyone had to go to a perimeter style chassis,which meant a cars had to be modified or replaced,then a few years later they had to go to 105" wheelbase cars which also had the same effect. If the rules are changed to allow this,leave them like this instead of changing them as asphalt tracks seem to do,Not bashing this track,because all of the tracks have been doing this.

At 3100 lbs. and only 55% left side, off-set vs. perimeter really becomes a moot point. Sure the off-set car has a few less pounds up high but the effect on cgh is negligible at that weight. I don’t have enough laps at SAS to know about that track specifically but wheelbase would be a much bigger factor at shorter tracks. I suspect the 105” LMS would have a distinct advantage at SAS as well. jp

Hey great topic. FYI back in 90,91 SAS Nascar latemodels were 108" wb cars in about 92 Nascar started allowing 105" cars and they both ran together with neither one having a distinct advantage. The only reason they are 105" now is that the Nascar rule book only allows 105"wheelbase and SAS has been abiding by the rule book with the exceptions of the body and rear end. As far as the perimeter vs leftside car, at 3100lbs and with 55% left(1400 rt side) and with the engine location rules that are in place these cars have so much lead in them that it really doesn't matter. Only when you get down to the 2900 super latemodels where the rules are not quite so strict is their a noticeable difference. What most people do not realize is that SAS does not have to use the Nascar rule book, they have only been using it because it is easier to solve problems with rules interpretations since Nascar was writing the rules. Nascar really doesn't care if you use their rules are make your own as long as the facility and the cars are safe(your using their insurance) and you send them your membership money and their weekly draw off the back gate. What it sounds like they are doing is allowing some more exceptions to enhance their car count. Remember guys car count is what puts you in the regional and national standings. Same thing goes for the next class down at SAS they also run for some decent year in points money on a regional and nationa basis. Check it out and everyone keep asking more questions.

Unlike the professional series, the Nascar Weekly Racing Series does not have to follow the rule book Nascar provides, you can call any class that you run a Nascar class. Some tracks run modifieds, some run super streets ,some run late models and some tracks are dirt tracks with their own different style cars. What Nascar gives by belonging to their series is provide insurance, provide the racers with the ability to possibly win some large year contingency dollars, and also a grievance mediator. Again being a nascar track doesn't mean a set of technical rules. But if you want you can pick a set of their rules to follow. FYI last years national champion bascially ran a featherlite modified whick is not one of the regular weekly Nascar rules. Last years Sunbelt region champion ran a dodge powered modified just like a TAMS car. The midwest champion ran a dirt Late Model.

Bingo fishracer,you hit the nail right on the head,they used NASCAR for all of their rule changes thru the years,which is like you said,they did not care what your rules were as long as they were safe and NASCAR got their money from the track and those running there.Back in the early 90's Heart of Texas was running winged modifieds,Boyd was running hot stocks,and Cowtown ran modifieds like IMCA with spoilers. Point being is this is the only NASCAR sanctioned short track in the state,if the track would have made this kind of move earlier it might have a lot more cars now then they currently do,yes the previous changes were not made by present management. I would rather see SAS have 30 + cars run heats,a B feature and a 25 lap feature with 20-24 cars instead of a 40 lap feature.

i believe nascar leaves the final rules up to the track. they provide the rule book as a guide line to follow. not as a final notice but if you want to run the "Taco Bell 300" at Martinsville or the big Myrtle Beach race at the end of the year your car had better abide by the rules. they are nascar sanctioned races. and the blue book (what ever the color of the year) will be enforced.

if you think romco or tsrs tech is bad try sneaking something thru one of these tech lines.

I know every one has there opinion, but there is a little somthing called chassis flex that is a lot different between a perimeter and offset car. All you have to do is look at ALL Pro a few years back when they ran both. The perimiters ran better with 2% less left side according to Wayne Anderson. Imracer, two college degrees did not help my spelling any even after graduating with honors, but I can at least post somting that pertains to the subject matter at hand.

Eddy,

I know every one has there opinion, but there is a little somthing called chassis flex that is a lot different between a perimeter and offset car. All you have to do is look at ALL Pro a few years back when they ran both. The perimiters ran better with 2% less left side according to Wayne Anderson.

Is Wayne saying that the perimeter cars ran better than the offset cars even though the perimeter cars had 2% less left side weight? I may be reading this wrong ... correct me if I have misunderstood.

Because from my experience there is less chassis flex in an offset car than a perimeter car unless the perimeter car is running a teepee type roll cage (which, unfortunately, gives the car more top weight). I doubt very much that ALL PRO permited the offset cars a 2% left side weight break over the perimeter cars. If anything, the perimeter cars need the weight break over the offset cars to make up for the built-in left side weight bias advantage and structural rigidity advantage the offset cars enjoy over the perimeter cars.

Just my opinion..

Nick Holt

Archived